Japanese/Sushi

NeverMarryAStripper

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Kata Robata on Kirby is my current favorite.    Their happy hour is a great deal and very popular -- there is usually a line of folks waiting for them to open the door at 5 pm.

the place has great hot green tea 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Had a fantastic dinner at Soto (lower Westheimer) Sunday night. 
Want to try them and hidden omakase when I get back to Houston.
For us its a rotation of Kata, Roka and Shun, they are clearly head and shoulders above any place in terms of fish quality, honorable mention to uchi.

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Want to try them and hidden omakase when I get back to Houston.
For us its a rotation of Kata, Roka and Shun, they are clearly head and shoulders above any place in terms of fish quality, honorable mention to uchi.

MF beats all of those that are in your rotation. Had Kata about three weeks ago and it was really disappointing. Wife and I both commented that it will likely be the last time we eat there. Fish quality was on par with a middle market sushi joint while we paid nearly $600 for the meal. It was not worth the price. Really want to try Soto soon.

I liked MF but last time I was there prior to covid, we had an issue with service/bill and then management was lazy about resolving the issue. They tried charging us for 2 bottles of champagne we did not order, never mind our bill was already $5,000 they insisted on charging us for 1 of the 2. Ill never go back after that

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:

I liked MF but last time I was there prior to covid, we had an issue with service/bill and then management was lazy about resolving the issue. They tried charging us for 2 bottles of champagne we did not order, never mind our bill was already $5,000 they insisted on charging us for 1 of the 2. Ill never go back after that

Sucks to hear that. The service at MF for us has always been incredible. That said, we always have the same guy wait on us so we’ve formed a relationship with him over the last few years.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

MF beats all of those that are in your rotation. Had Kata about three weeks ago and it was really disappointing. Wife and I both commented that it will likely be the last time we eat there. Fish quality was on par with a middle market sushi joint while we paid nearly $600 for the meal. It was not worth the price. Really want to try Soto soon.

Omakase at the original MF (before the fire) is, by far, the best sushi experience I've had in Houston.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Bumping this thread up. Any good date spots that aren't as pricey as Kata Robata or Nobu within the loop? 

AKA on West Alabama. Order the hay stack. Thank me later. 

It’s almost always happy hour there. Parking sucks. I’d walk or take an Uber during dinner time. You should be fine during lunch. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, mycox said:

Izakaya Wa on W Gray

Izakaya Wa has some great lunch combos and they haven't really raised prices like most places. You get miso soup, salad, and generous sushi portions for $13 to $16 depending on the specific combo.

hit Ka on Shepard tonight, it was very good

KA is great. They do a really good happy hour until 6:30 that's worth taking advantage of for both drinks and food. Their wagyu toast is one of my favorite appetizers in the city and I don't think I've seen it on the menu anywhere else.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another excellent meal yesterday at AKA. It's always happy hour there. Damn near ordered the whole menu and we got out of there for under a $100. Full disclosure, I like beef a lot more than fish. 

Recommendations : 

Black pepper beef (really good carpaccio) 

Beef yakitori 

The Haystack (beef and avocado cut roll smothered in fried green onion strings) 

Spicy tuna cut roll 

Stay away from : 

Firecracker shrump

Beef and basil 

Curry pork tonkatsu 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Hidden Omakase with my wife on Saturday night. They have a 6:30 and 9 seatings. We did the late seating. It's BYOB so I had to walk across to the DoubleTree and buy a couple bottles of wine. There's like 18 seats in there, so it's hard to get a reservation. Anyway, I thought it was just about the best sushi I've ever had. It rivals a similar place out in San Fran that I now cannot remember the name of, but they are both 15 course omakase adventures. You will leave hungry, but the food itself was awesome. Sit in the front section of the dining table, as the master chef tends to that area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

have recently discovered Sushi Pop in Spring Branch next door the Kroger at Wirt & Westview. Not fancy, clean shop, and good fish.  Tues and Wed they do buy one roll, get 1/2 off a second.  Mondays, they do free sushi, where they give you a gift card equivalent to what you spend on food.  Enjoy that while it lasts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...