USA, Mexico, and Canada win 2026 World Cup bid

Goo Punch

I can't find the per-country vote, but I sure am glad it wasn't close.  (I had read last night that the winner was project to possibly receive around 110 of the 210 votes.)  It appears as if the hosting countries had to abstain plus 4 US territories, which is bullshit because Wales, Scotland, and N Ireland have never abstained.

So this is what it takes for Team USA to make the World Cup, right?
I presume all 3 host countries will get automatic bids, or is there a 3 way qualifier to see who gets to be the official host team? (that would be awesome, until Mexico beat USA, again)

This is my question. All three get in?

If all three got in, CONCACAF qualification would be really, really weird.
I wasn't in to soccer in '94.  Did the US play in qualification or just sit the entire, ~2 year tourney out?

Just a bunch of friendlies from what I remember and Copa America.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Holy fucking fuck, that World Cup will be 48 teams. Jesus.

Isn't the Qatar World Cup going to be 48 teams too? It's really too many teams. First qualifying will lack any drama - the final day where we watched Chile, Italy and the US miss out will just be gone, none of that drama anymore. And second the tournament will just be too damn long.

13 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Isn't the Qatar World Cup going to be 48 teams too? It's really too many teams. First qualifying will lack any drama - the final day where we watched Chile, Italy and the US miss out will just be gone, none of that drama anymore. And second the tournament will just be too damn long.

I never bitch about more games.

so it was a quite a few more "european" countries that either bid Morocco or neither.

the whole Flemish lowlands voted for Morocco:  Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, as well as Latvia, Italy & France [wtf France?] all voted for Morocco.

Spain went neutral and abstained

thats FIVE heavy hitters from Europe not picking the United bid.

so it was a quite a few more "european" countries that either bid Morocco or neither.
the whole Flemish lowlands voted for Morocco:  Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, as well as Latvia, Italy & France [wtf France?] all voted for Morocco.

Well yeah. Similar or same time zone and much shorter travel for teams and fans. I assume that is at least part of the reasons.

15 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

France had to vote Morocco so they could continue to have Moroccan stars on their squad  

23 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well yeah. Similar or same time zone and much shorter travel for teams and fans. I assume that is at least part of the reasons.

Plus, they are looking out for their own asses. They know that the WC in the Americas will bring light to a sport that is growing. They don't want competition for their players coming from the US.

Pretty much, but this whole voting on host region thing should have been abandoned a long time ago. They should just cycle continents and have the vote go towards the hosting city or region. Less bribery, probably equal amounts of graft.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So this is what it takes for Team USA to make the World Cup, right?

I presume all 3 host countries will get automatic bids, or is there a 3 way qualifier to see who gets to be the official host team? (that would be awesome, until Mexico beat USA, again)

They will.  All playing in their home country on Day 1, per the bid.  Rose Bowl, Azteca, whatever Canada's main venue is.  That kind of sucks for the rest of CONCACAF.  We only had 3.5 bids this year.  Costa Rica forced to win the Hex outright and then win a play-in against another confederation to compete?  Or maybe they give CONCACAF an extra bid to make up for Canada taking a spot even though they are usually non-competitive.  Maybe 2 extra spots since we suck too and more deserving teams like Panama, Trinidad, and Grenada should also have a fair shot.

Edited by FondrenRoad

They dropped those talks a couple of days ago. Though I supposed FIFA could still do it. I agree though 48 teams is too many and didn’t care for the idea of having mini groups leading into the main groups that was once floated.

Would be cool if Houston could get a group stage with multiple games since JerryWorld is destined for getting a semi-final. If we have high speed rail by then, it would be easy to get to both. That NE corridor would be easy to get around to with AmTrak. 

Am I the only person that still thinks that a 3 host tournament (3 huge countries, in fact) is a monumentally dumb idea? Or are we just kinda putting that behind us now?

Next cycle, Europe should bid. They could have games in like 14 different countries.

It's unstable but I think it hit two big countries that FIFA covets. No need to worry about an only Mexican or only American bid cancelling each other out. If you put the groups in Mexico and Canada, it's not a huge inconvenience, especially if you can filter the quarters to nearby cities.

Yes. They've done it before...but it sucks. Again, I'd rather the Cotton Bowl get the match but it's not happening in July in Texas when there's a domed stadium with AC. JW is a terrible soccer venue but DFW is an international airport and Fair Park is in the running for the International Media Center. 

I'm still not over how bad we were FUCKED 4 years ago by FIFA and qatar, but this helps, especially with an expanded tournament. I won't give less of a shit because there will be 16 more games. Hell, hopefully that will bring down the cost of the matches. I need to get a whole got dam family of five to houston (and hopefully a trip FOR THE FUCKING BROS to one or two of the more glamorous stops)

Which of the proposed host cities have a stadium plan in the works (or potentially in the works)? Eight years is an eternity for American sports stadiums. Surely there will be some badass ones that will go unused because they weren't even an inkling of an idea when the host bids for cities went out.

Edited by Bottlecap

Yes. They've done it before...but it sucks. Again, I'd rather the Cotton Bowl get the match but it's not happening in July in Texas when there's a domed stadium with AC. JW is a terrible soccer venue but DFW is an international airport and Fair Park is in the running for the International Media Center. 

I saw Spain vs South Korea in the 94 World Cup at the Cotton Bowl. It was indeed hot as balls. South Korea tried their best to take it to Spain and managed to pull out the tie. When we got back to my friend’s cousin’s house, we watched OJ in the white bronco.

7 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I'm still not over how bad we were FUCKED 4 years ago by FIFA and qatar, but this helps, especially with an expanded tournament. I won't give less of a shit because there will be 16 more games. Hell, hopefully that will bring down the cost of the matches. I need to get a whole got dam family of five to houston (and hopefully a trip FOR THE FUCKING BROS to one or two of the more glamorous stops)

Which of the proposed host cities have a stadium plan in the works (or potentially in the works)? Eight years is an eternity for American sports stadiums. Surely there will be some badass ones that will go unused because they weren't even an inkling of an idea when the host bids for cities went out.

Only pending stadium is the new one in LA. I'd rather the Rose Bowl get the game. Best venue in America. 

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

The most obvious new stadium is Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park. You have to assume NYC for the final at MetLife and one of the semis at LA (either LA Stadium or Rose Bowl). I think Dallas and Atlanta will compete for the other semi. 

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

I assume any stadium that has turf will have to put down grass?   Is that possible at JW? 

Last time they rolled out the grass 3 days prior.  I would think if they were to host a semi-final that they would have to have a better plan and show that the field won't be an issue.

https://deadspin.com/cowboys-stadium-is-a-horrible-place-to-host-soccer-885845251