Your favorite local acts while at UT

DeathTongue

So, who were your favorite local bands to go see while you were at UT?

Charlie Sexton:  My favorite local artist.  Love the Arc Angels and his solo stuff after that.  Wish he would release another album.

Bill Carter and the Blame w/ Will and Charlie Sexton:  They were one of the house bands at Antone’s for a while.  Great shows.

Ian Moore:  My favorite local guitarist. He could shred.

Guy Forsyth:  That slide, tho…

Vallejo:  Most of the band was still in high school, but they were tight.

The Impossibles.

Maybe Vallejo? David Garza?

I never much liked a lot of the big ones like The Scabs or Soulhat.

Most of the stuff I was into was shortly after college and mainly in the pop-punk scene... Cruiserweight, Dynamite Boy, Ritalin Kids, Victory Drive, Recover, and a handful of other bands whose names I cannot remember 15-ish years later. I was friends with the Cruiserweight clan and thus friends-in-law with most of the members of said bands.

4 hours ago, RedDirtTexan said:

dah-VEED Garza

One of my friends had a HUGE crush on him, so we'd all go to his concerts so she could stalk him.

When I moved to Seattle, I actually saw a couple of his shows up there.  I still listen to his stuff occasionally. 

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

One of my friends had a HUGE crush on him, so we'd all go to his concerts so she could stalk him.

When I moved to Seattle, I actually saw a couple of his shows up there.  I still listen to his stuff occasionally. 

Circa 2002, he was putting together a new album/band/whatever and locked out my studio for about a month.  As I recall, it was nights only, it's been a while.  He paid in advance.

He never showed up.  

• Like 1

Class of ‘03

James McMurtry
Alejandro Escovedo
Wayne Hancock
Del Castillo

I’m still kicking myself for never seeing Gary Clark Jr. for free at his weekly residence at the Continental Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I remember he was opening for the Wednesday McMurtry shows for a stretch.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

I still have fond memories of watching Twang Twang Shock-a-Boom busqueing on the mall as a freshman in '89, then seeing them open a set at AquaFest the next year.

My buddy and I helped push James McMurtry's broken down/out of gas Ford up the Drag one day on our way to class. We just saw a guy in trouble. My friend recognized him first. Too Long in the Wasteland had just come out. My friend had a CD in his bag. But a non-working Bic pen. James was appreciative. I think his exact words were "Thanks. Fuck it." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I feel like I remember he was opening for the Wednesday McMurtry shows for a stretch.

To the best of my recollection my senior year Gary Clark Jr. was doing a really early show, like 6pm or so, and it might have been on Wednesdays. Could have been Tuesday or Thursday though. Even if it had been on Wednesdays, McMurtry was doing his midnight thing and their sets would have been hours apart. I went to so many McMurtry shows in 2002-2003. The midnight start time didn't mean shit. I was taking 9 hours of blowoff courses per semester and had the most awesome slacker life ever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes, yes she did. Shitty music, fantastic titties.

Probably wasn't everyone's cup of tea and even I didn't like all of their songs, but they did well for themselves for a solid decade.I'm not seeing many bands on this thread that I would call "great." YMMV.

• Like 1

I showed up when Dynamite Boy was basically done and the Riddlin Kids were either breaking up or had just broken up, and Cruiserweight was still at it.  And there was... Firekills, Slider, Manatee, Rory and the Artificial Heart (Rory of The Impossibles), I guess Alpha Rev..  Black Joe Lewis.  but I wasn't really all that into any of those guys despite seeing them a billion times.  I loved The Eastern Sea.

Zeitgeist/Reivers

True Believers

Timbuk 3

I moved to Birmingham, AL in 1985.  Around 1990, I started seeing Vallejo in some tiny little bars.  They were just a bunch of young dudes at the time.   Never really got in to them....then they moved to Austin.

Edited by hullabelew

gorch fock

attic ted

gadjo bango

superheavy goatass

tia carrera

attack formation

...and then the "big" bands that weren't really so big back then, the sword, black angels, spoon

Edited by stc

A good friend's brother went to grad school at UT in the early 00's, and he'd always crank these guys when he came home.  A total joke band, but hilarious and catchy at the same time.  I have to assume a few posters are aware of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A good friend's brother went to grad school at UT in the early 00's, and he'd always crank these guys when he came home.  A total joke band, but hilarious and catchy at the same time.  I have to assume a few posters are aware of them.

I used to catch Skunkweed every time they came to Austin.  They've played twice in the last year in San Antonio.  Go to their facebook page to keep track of future sightings.  They were all kinds of fucked up fun.

I hung out a lot at Ego's when they had live music every night:

James Ryder and the 420 Turnaround

Guy Forsyth

Bob Schnider / Scabs

George Devore 

Cotton Mather

The Gourds

Had a Titty Bingo bumper sticker but never put it on my car or heard the band

23 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I used to catch Skunkweed every time they came to Austin.  They've played twice in the last year in San Antonio.  Go to their facebook page to keep track of future sightings.  They were all kinds of fucked up fun.

I hung out a lot at Ego's when they had live music every night:

James Ryder and the 420 Turnaround

Guy Forsyth

Bob Schnider / Scabs

George Devore 

Cotton Mather

The Gourds

Had a Titty Bingo bumper sticker but never put it on my car or heard the band

My buddy and I decided that Open Minded Redneck was pretty much our manifesto.

There was an entire album, I believe.  I've been known to scrawl quotes on bar bathroom walls.

Will definitely check out their Facebook page.