Your favorite local acts while at UT

DeathTongue

2 hours ago, Apep said:

I never lived in Austin or went to UT, but I picked up a David Garza song for free from Amazon a few years ago, "Dead French Dudes". Good song.

Found a picture of Cruiserweight.

2749388490_e231eabfe1_z.jpg?zz=1

late era Cruiserweight, after the bassist moved to Arizona for some kind of school and Yogi (brother to guitarist Urny and singer Stella) quit the band because... I think he was just tired of it?  The drummer pictured was also the drummer for Firekills and worked at the front desk of Musiclab on Oltorf for probably 5 years.

Edited by Celery Man

late era Cruiserweight, after the bassist moved to Arizona for some kind of school and Yogi (brother to guitarist Urny and singer Stella) quit the band because... I think he was just tired of it?  The drummer pictured was also the drummer for Firekills and worked at the front desk of Musiclab on Oltorf for probably 5 years.

I’m old. I practiced at the one on Krebs Lane and MC Truth ran the front desk.

Mike Truth managed the St Elmo one for years as well, while Firekills drummer was working there. He got us into a Habitat for Humanity charity show/battle of the bands in front of Gregory Gym in 2005 judged by one of the other Rubberhed dudes who then managed us for several years. And then Mike went to book for Red Eyed Fly for forever. Dude could deadlift our singer.

Mike Truth managed the St Elmo one for years as well, while Firekills drummer was working there. He got us into a Habitat for Humanity charity show/battle of the bands in front of Gregory Gym in 2005 judged by one of the other Rubberhed dudes who then managed us for several years. And then Mike went to book for Red Eyed Fly for forever. Dude could deadlift our singer.

Really nice guy. This was 1996-7. Also why I asked whoever about Mark DuFour. He worked at that original music lab as their studio engineer. Recorded two of our demos and was my first studio internship. He was one of several drummers in Skrew.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really nice guy. This was 1996-7. Also why I asked whoever about Mark DuFour. He worked at that original music lab as their studio engineer. Recorded two of our demos and was my first studio internship. He was one of several drummers in Skrew.

Yeah Mike is a great dude, haven't talked to him in a long time but he was a warm character.  Jim from Skrew (keyboards) also worked and recorded at Music Lab, then did (still does, I assume) a lot of engineering/producing work around town, a lot with Mike McCarthy... Spoon, Trail of Dead, White Denim, Old 97s (since Grand Theater), Los Super Seven, whole bunch of stuff.  Another really good dude.  There was a Beavis and Butthead episode where they make fun of Skrew, wish I could find it.

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

Banana Blender Surprise

They had a reunion show at the Continental when I was in school! I'd only ever known them from the cool high school kids talking about the band. Anyways, they played "Coming to America" perfectly and I lost my shit. It was great.

Fun Fact: David Beebe moved to Marfa and became a Justice of the Peace for one of the county districts. He was the guy that pronounced Antonin Scalia dead.

Edited by Grandioso

On 6/14/2018 at 10:17 PM, Grandioso said:

They had a reunion show at the Continental when I was in school! I'd only ever known them from the cool high school kids talking about the band. Anyways, they played "Coming to America" perfectly and I lost my shit. It was great.

Fun Fact: David Beebe moved to Marfa and became a Justice of the Peace for one of the county districts. He was the guy that pronounced Antonin Scalia dead.

I think I read he was in Alpine at the time.  So the other JP got the honor. 

I got to know David and Conrad when I was in school.  Nice peoples.

Allen [Hill] Oldies band played my wedding. 

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I think I read he was in Alpine at the time.  So the other JP got the honor. 

I could have sworn that when Paul Beebe's band came on the radio show I help program/co-host occasionally, he and the host were talking about David doing it, but now I'm remembering all he said was that they called David when it happened. That led me to assume he did it. 

A long time ago, I too was so twangy. Along with a bunch of other idiots. Lots of hot chicks hanging around back then. Too many of them were still in high school though. 

I went to a reunion concert a few years back. Had a lot of fun but those hot high school chicks are now fat middle aged moms. 

7 hours ago, ajax said:

A long time ago, I too was so twangy. Along with a bunch of other idiots. Lots of hot chicks hanging around back then. Too many of them were still in high school though. 

I went to a reunion concert a few years back. Had a lot of fun but those hot high school chicks are now fat middle aged moms. 

Remember Julianna Sheffield from 8 1/2 Souvenirs?  She was always in Dah-veed's orbit.  Trust me when I say this, she is now a mom, and probably close to what one might call "middle age", but fat isn't even close to the mark.  Definite candidate for the "Women Over 40" thread.

12 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I could have sworn that when Paul Beebe's band came on the radio show I help program/co-host occasionally, he and the host were talking about David doing it, but now I'm remembering all he said was that they called David when it happened. That led me to assume he did it. 

David posted something on  Facebook about it after it happened saying he was in Alpine.  That's the only reason I knew about it. 

"Judge Beebe said County Judge Cinderela Guevera had ultimately pronounced Justice Scalia dead by telephone and “ruled it natural causes based on credible information.” She did not respond to messages on Sunday. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/15/us/ranch-owner-recalls-finding-justice-antonin-scalias-body.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Edited by dcbc

Yogi's a good friend of mine. He was getting married and just wanted to get a real job and stop touring. They did a show at Mohawk about 2-3 years ago with both Yogi and Dave. CW's original bassist was Craig Tweedy from the Impossibles.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Remember Julianna Sheffield from 8 1/2 Souvenirs?  She was always in Dah-veed's orbit.  Trust me when I say this, she is now a mom, and probably close to what one might call "middle age", but fat isn't even close to the mark.  Definite candidate for the "Women Over 40" thread.

I looked Juliana up and she looks familiar. But I know about 8 1/2 Souvenirs. They came to SF to play some shows. They had a different lead singer back then, Chrysta. My wife, then girlfriend, got to chatting with Chrysta before one show and they hot-girl bonded. 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:22 PM, DoobieWah said:

I can't believe it took so long to get to SRV.

Rusty Wier

The Big Boys

I used to run around with Chris and Nathan's younger brother, Andrew, while in high school and I had a major crush on Sara. Always amused me up that there were these two Austin punk icons continually telling their younger brother to dial his shit down. Chris and Nathan were always at Sunday services no matter what gig they played the previous night until Mama(Teresa?) Gates passed. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

My list:

Big Boys
Soul Hat
Bouffant Jellyfish
Joe Rockhead
Killer Bees
Doctor's Mob
Bad Mutha Goose
Stick People
SVR
Joe King Carrasco
Zeitgeist/Reivers
Retarted Elf
House in Orbit
Hickoids
Billy White Trio

My staple of Steamboat/Raul's/Clubfoot/Cannibal Club/Liberty Lunch weekends. And the Cactus Cafe too. The Butthole Surfers and the Judy's played a shit ton too but not technically Austin. The Lubbock gang.

The Antone's scene when I could manage to sneak in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Forgot to add Ed Hall and not a local band but it felt like Dash Rip Rock played Austin every two weeks.

Dash was like an honorary Austin band......vaguely remember seeing them when Fred LeBlanc (of Cowboy Mouth fame) was their drummer in the late 80s. 

10 minutes ago, stupolvo said:

Some of my close friends were in Killing America...

to that list I add:

Zeitgeist/Reivers

Cotton Mather

Silver Scooter

Poi Dog

Javelin Boot

When I lived in Chicago, Poi Dog Pondering was mostly based in Austin.  When I moved to Austin, Poi Dog Pondering was mostly based in Chicago.

I think her name was Cecily (lead singer of Killing America).  I worked with her at my after-school job at D&B.  Saw several of their shows at her list hookup.  I think I've got their album somewhere still.  

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

When I lived in Chicago, Poi Dog Pondering was mostly based in Austin.  When I moved to Austin, Poi Dog Pondering was mostly based in Chicago.

I think her name was Cecily (lead singer of Killing America).  I worked with her at my after-school job at D&B.  Saw several of their shows at her list hookup.  I think I've got their album somewhere still.  

Cool - yea Cecily is really nice - known her for years 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Explosions in the Sky. I remember a show on campus when they opened for Built to Spill. They were electric.  Then I remember getting bored and leaving during the headliner’s set.

the fuck?