Your favorite local acts while at UT

DeathTongue

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone ever saw Titty Bingo.

WHILE I was at UT, True Believers on the front end and Agony Column, Sincola, Jon Boy on the tail to just out. Rievers were solid as well. Few years beyond, Sixteen Deluxe.

I worked with Wayne from Little Sister at TJ Maxx when he first moved to Austin. The couple of times I played with him made me realize I was retarded. 

JohnBoy.  There's a blast from the past.  They were Helmet if Helmet were a punk band.

I remember an insane SXSW showcase somewhere downtown in a huge open air venue -- must have been a parking lot or maybe Republic Square -- JohnBoy killed.  That bill also featured a stupid band from Houston called Genitorturers that featured a half-naked chick singer and a fair amount of bondage/S&M shit.

I saw Titty Bingo on the trash can at the back of the Oltorf Music Lab several times a week for about 6 years.

Ha. That sounds about right.

My buddy owned a lake house on travis in a secluded cove. Only two houses in that cove....his and Dahr Jamail’s. Titty Bingo practiced almost every weekend and we’d float in the cove and watch/listen to them. They also played for a party at his house.

This was around 92-98....somewhere in there. I am not sure how many gigs they played out publicly but it wasn’t many I don’t believe. But damn those stickers were everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

George Devore side hugged, kissed my then girlfriend now wife on the cheek at Antone’s in 2001...thought she was somebody else. I’ve always hated that guy.

I moved here in 99. Lotsa Vallejo and Scab shows while I explored town.

I don’t like them but was surprised nobody mentioned Blue October. Then Wiki told me they’re from Houston. Gotdamn they were here a lot for a while.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Their guitarist (Bill something) was a friend of a friend.  Fred was a terrific drummer, and Hoaky was hysterical.  They were sort of a Dixie-fried Uncle Tupelo meets Camper Van Beethoven.  Loved 'em.

Bill Davis.

Dash was great.  Hoaky is now a yacht broker and marine surveyor in the Miami area.    

JohnBoy.  There's a blast from the past.  They were Helmet if Helmet were a punk band.
I remember an insane SXSW showcase somewhere downtown in a huge open air venue -- must have been a parking lot or maybe Republic Square -- JohnBoy killed.  That bill also featured a stupid band from Houston called Genitorturers that featured a half-naked chick singer and a fair amount of bondage/S&M shit.

Haha! I saw Genitorturers at the Back Room! Jon Boy was a pummeling of sound.
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 5:12 PM, drewcifer said:

The Impossibles.

Maybe Vallejo? David Garza?

I never much liked a lot of the big ones like The Scabs or Soulhat.

Most of the stuff I was into was shortly after college and mainly in the pop-punk scene... Cruiserweight, Dynamite Boy, Ritalin Kids, Victory Drive, Recover, and a handful of other bands whose names I cannot remember 15-ish years later. I was friends with the Cruiserweight clan and thus friends-in-law with most of the members of said bands.

Victory Drive. Ha. We probably know each other. 

Born to Lose

Dynamite Boy

Ritalin Kids

Impossibles

Flametrick Subs

Gourds

Austin Transit Authority

Bad Livers

Texas Meat Purveyors 

Sixteen Deluxe

Oh, and Willie Nelson

I always assumed Titty Bingo was a joke because of how ubiquitous their stickers were, but I'd never met anyone who ever saw them.

Edited by irishtexan