Recommend me some Houston eats

Wally Fairway

I lived there for over 15 years, but I'm heading back for only the 2nd time in the last 10+ years.
It is a short time there but I plan on eating at some of my past live favorites
- Goode Co Taqueria (breakfast or lunch grilled chicken sammy with chocolate cinnamon shake)
- Rajun Cajun - a little bit of everything, last time I was there Frank was still out talking to the customers
- Trying to lunch at Buck's BBQ

Now give me some new places that I should give a go (staying near Sugar Land, but spending time inside the loop, Bellaire, West U, Med Center, etc)

I'd skip Goode Co,  for breakfast, and go straight to Chiloso's instead.  Not even close, have Goode for lunch if you must.  

If i moved away staples i'd visit again include Hugo's, Liberty Kitchen, Lankford Grocery, Niko Niko's, Fadi's or Laredo Taqueria.  

I'm a big fan of Goode Co. Taqueria, but if you haven't been also the Armadillo Palace across the street.

Hugo's other restaurants - Xochi and Caracol - are outstanding. Two of the best in the city right now. 

If you're in Sugar Land, you're not far from Chinatown (or Asiatown). Lots of great places - Mein (Cantonese), House of Bowls (Hong Kong), Ohn (modern Korean with a good soju bar), Pho Binh (Vietnamese - various locations, one in Chinatown, one on 59 and Gessner). 

• 2 weeks later...

Near the Loop:

Bubba's Burger Shack

Sugar Land/Stafford:

Lopez texmex

Tornado Burger

Kim Son

Chinatown (Bellaire Blvd):

Vien Hoa

Kim Son

HK Dim Sum

Sinh Sinh

Tiger Den

FuFu Cafe

Gelato Cup (try the durian)

Don's Cafe and Sandwich

Com Tam Kieu Gian (in the Hong Kong City Mall)

Memory Cafe (for Tea/Coffee)

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2018 at 12:05 AM, RollLeft said:

I'd skip Goode Co,  for breakfast, and go straight to Chiloso's instead.  Not even close, have Goode for lunch if you must.  

If i moved away staples i'd visit again include Hugo's, Liberty Kitchen, Lankford Grocery, Niko Niko's, Fadi's or Laredo Taqueria.  

That's a weird list of staples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hearsay Market Square (formerly Hearsay Gastro Lounge) is our go to place downtown.  The ambiance is fantastic.  The building it is in is allegedly the second oldest building in Houston and is very unique.  The food and service are outstanding.  The braised ribs may be my favorite meal of all time, but I always swap out the poblano mashed potatoes for the cheddar grits.  

events-main-dining.jpg

HEARSAY.jpg

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Headed to Houston tomorrow for the Temple - Houston game on Saturday.  Game time is 6 p.m. Saturday.  We need one great dinner Friday night and one fun lunch on Saturday.  We are staying downtown.   We are from Dallas, so for dinner  we are not looking for steaks or Mexican or anything we can get here.  Prefer something chef driven and interesting.  The last we did this we had the tasting menu at The Pass.  For lunch, anything casual and fun and preferably in downtown would work.

Recommendations appreciated!

Downtown, the Surly standard is Buck's BBQ.
You may be able to get Q in Dallas, but you don't get Buck's
Saturday special is Butterfinger Brisket

For Friday night, I haven't been to the rebuild but Brennan's was one of my all-time favorites
go with Turtle soup for the appetizer ... anything you want for the main course ... Bananas Foster to end the day

That'll be $9.95 for Wally's dining newsletter subscription

• Like 1

Xochi for dinner if you want to stay downtown.

Buck's if you want BBQ. If you don't want BBQ Hearsay on Market Square has a pretty good brunch. I have always enjoyed MKT Bar (downstairs from Phoenicia). The food won't blow you away, but it's always good food.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So we were downtown this weekend to celebrate Mrs. Hate's birthday with some friends.  As can be seen above, we started Friday night at Hearsay with one of my favorite meals.  We woke up and heading down to Midtown for breakfast at Natachee's Supper and punch.  It's nothing special except that it reminds me and the wife of Cafe on the Square in San Marcos where we both worked 20+ years ago.  Our friends met us at Icon and we proceeded to do some bar hopping in Midtown.  We started at a newly opened bar called the Brass Tap.  Greta place.  It had only been open for a week, so they were still working out a few kinks.  The food was good and they had about 30 beers on tap.  We headed over to the Beer Market Company for some more cocktails before heading to Escape the Room to try to see if we could escape while substantially buzzed.  We did not escape, but I blame that on this one clue that took 20 minutes to solve that was, IMO, not setup correctly and did not point to the information that it was supposed to.  At the end, the guy running it tried to show up where that clue was, but he couldn't find it either.  Oh well.  We were a little hungry then so we went to Oporto Fooding House and Wine (https://www.oportomidtown.us/) for tapas.  It was outstanding.  We had to wait a while for a table so we had more cocktails.  I forgot to take pictures of the food because I was pretty goddamned buzzed at that point, but it was outstanding.  great food and great atmosphere there.  We had a pretty wide variety of food that I am trying to remember by looking at their website.  One of our friends is a big foodie and a big guy (no homo) so he just kept ordering things.  Here is the list of things I can remember:

Pimentas - really really good

CRAB & AVOCADO CROSTINI - outstanding and I normally don't like avacado

SHRIMP & CRAB Pizzette - delicious

some sort of Spanish meat and cheese plate that I can't find.  I think it was from the mix and match section.  It was very good, but nothing remarkable.

CATAPLANA MUSSELS - very good mussels but not the best I've ever had.  Still, very enjoyable.

BATATAS - these were delicious.  Here is the description from the website:  crispy smashed fingerlings/ herbs/ tomato chutney/garlic aioli

PREGO - marinated hanger steak/ garlic butter/ house madebolo do caco potato bun/ batatas fritas....**I think this is what we had?  I only remember some pieces of steak hanging on a skewer with butter dripping from the top pf the skewer onto the pieces of steak.  It was delicious.  Goddamn was it delicious.  

That's all I can remember although we may have also ordered some octopus or squid??  I only remember not trying it because it didn't look very good and it came out towards the end when I was absolutely stuffed.  We ended the meal with some sort of espresso drink that is supposed to help digest the food, which is something I needed badly. We left there and went over to the Holman Draft Hall, which was another great place.  It was cold as fuck, but they had a little sitting area up a spiral staircase with heater where we were out of the wind.  It was a great place.  

This was the first time I had really bar hopped around Midtown and I was extremely impressed.  We had a great time and every place we went was terrific in it's own way.  We will absolutely doing that again.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going to be doing wife’s bday in Houston Tuesday night (don’t judge - Justin Timberlake concert at Toyota center). Staying at Marriott Marquis. Friends are going with us.

Need dinner recs. Reading Hearsay, Xochi, what else... When I go down there it’s usually guys and a steakhouse (which might be fine). I told her friend to plan something but never heard back. Getting short on time.

• 2 weeks later...

My plans hit some road blocks. Wife’s sister is pregnant and having complications. My in-laws (read babysitters) had to drive to Dallas.

I had planned on getting downtown earlier. Since that wasn’t an option, we ended up meeting wife’s friend at Grotto before concert for light dinner and drinks. Walked over to concert. Had to head home after because our back up sitter (college girl) had to drive to Austin at 6am the next morning to make it to class.

All in all it was a fun night. I got a ton of credit for the effort. For some reason things always happen on my wife’s bday that make things difficult.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FB post from one of my dear friends who is in process of moving from Dallas to Houston (her doc husband already moved down to run St Luke's Hospital) in the next year or so (oldest kid is staying for SR year at HP):

I've been charged with making a dinner reservation for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday - in Houston. Party of 14 or 15, family only, her adult children and teenage grandchildren. She likes classic, simple food and probably likes a restaurant with a timeless reputation like Brennan's. She is not into trendy, loud places, but might be open to a newer restaurant if it suits her. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have. I know the food in Houston is amazing, but don't know any specific locations. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to a show at the House of Blues this weekend and were looking for a place close by to enjoy a happy hour.  We ended up at Three Forks.  It was fantastic.  Great bar and service and the appetizer menu was outstanding.  We had some of the $1 Blue Point Oysters, chicken fried filet mignon, waygu beef cheek & roasted bone marrow (followed by a bourbon shot through the bone), and some sliders of a few different varieties including a fried fish, braised rib, angus beef with lemon aioli, and a regular angus slider.  All of it was delicious.  The wife and I will try to go back soon to try the steaks although I may have a difficult time paying $85 for a steak.  Has anyone here ever had a steak there and how does it compare to Pappas or Vic & Anthony's?