Movies you feel your kid(s) must see

GotThatFire

Got my first on the way. Obviously, there's some time between now and when movies/TV could make a nice impact on a kid, but that just gives me some time to stock up on some good stuff.

Any recommendations? I don't care how old or new, so long as there's either a good inspiring message, or lots of fun to watch as a family. TIA 

If we are just talking movies and not TV, our kids (2 and 5) both like Winnie the Pooh movies (several going back decades).   The boy (older) likes the Cars and Planes movie (be prepared to buy a lot of Cars toys - Craig’s List is your friend).   He loves the LEGO movie as well. 

Even though it’s TV, if there are Mr, Rogers collections, stock up on them.  The kids love them 

My younger, early elementary aged kids watch and enjoyed on my insistence:

- Sandlot

- Little Giants

- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder)

-Jurassic Park (got a little scared)

- TMNT DVD's (Cowabunga Classics and the new fangled Nickelodeon ones)

- Air Bud / Pup Stars

The older, classic Disney movies. Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and similar.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It's a Wonderful Life.

When they're in Jr. High or so, Shindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. I believe the violence and nudity uses to tell a real story is fine once they're mature enough to handle it.

• Like 1

Black Cock Down IV has some really good lessons about multiculturalism that I think are very important for today's youth. The problem is that in order to fully understand the plot and character development, they're going to need to see parts I-III and those have some graphic scenes of a sexual nature that you may not want your kid to see. It's really up to each individual parent. 

• Like 1

M son saw Princess Bride from start to finish on Sunday and has now wanted to see it every night since then. little fucker runs around the house asking us if "anyone wants a peanut", so I'ma say Princess Bride but also:

ET, The Goonies, Indiana Jones, Sandlot, Coming to America, The original Karate Kid, and Eddie and the Cruisers. H

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't have kids, but these would/will be mandatory as they grew up:

• toy story
  • the lion king
  • aladdin 
  • the sandlot
  • e.t.

I would be willing to bet I’ve seen Lion King more than anyone else on the board.  Oldest boy wanted to be a freaking lion so bad...lol.   All of those are fantastic choices.

I saw Star Wars when I was 7 and was mesmerized/ fascinated/ blown away.  Our kids liked it, but not quite the same way I did.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gremlins

White Fang/ Call of the Wild

Batman from 1989. Just campy enough to keep it right for the kids.

Jumanji, the original

Hoosiers

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

My children, all growed up, will tell you:

NOT Bicycle Thief or Eight Legged Freaks

Should see:

National Velvet, Spirited Away and Wizard of Oz and Pinochio before they are too old to be freaked out by the monkeys/boys turning into mules.

We showed Spirited Away to my son when he was barely a toddler. That scene where she was bathing the river spirit freaked him the f out. I think it was her getting swallowed into the spirit's body. 

I watched Stand By Me with my 13 yo daughter a few months back and she really enjoyed it.  Watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the 13 yo and her 15 yo sister a few weeks ago and they both liked it.

Others we have watched with them over the years:  Princess Bride, Christmas Vacation, Goonies, Indiana Jones, original Star Wars trilogy (dusted off the boxed set and actually had to buy a VCR from Goodwill for $3), Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, and My Cousin Vinny.

Planning to watch:  Steel Magnolias, Coming to America, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Dead Poets Society, and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

For little kids: The Secret Life of Pets, Zootopia, SING, Toy Story 1,2 & 3, Frozen (little girls will want to watch this at least 1,000 times, and be prepared to hate “Let it Go!” for the rest of your life. You’ll also want to strangle the songwriter.)

I fancy some of the old Disney 50’s live action: The Love Bug, Mary Poppins, Swiss Family Robinson, Parent Trap, The Absent Minded Professor, The Shaggy Dog. And of course the old animated: Dumbo, Peter Pan, Snow White, 

Grab your pop corn and snuggle up!

• Like 1

my daughter, wife and I watched the Mary Kate and Ashley vehicle known as NEW YORK MINUTE last night at 1am eating bluebell as an act of rebellion and defiance to the norms of the last 9 months and an embrace of the wildness of Summer.

Just sat at my computer instead of playing on my phone.

First animated films for kids. You might as well show them quality films...

Alice in Wonderland (Oillie Johnson was a mentor for Glen Keane)

Beauty and the Beast

Ratatouillle

Coco

Despicable Me

Dumbo

How to Train Your Dragon

The Iron Giant

Kung Fu Panda

Lilo and Stitch

My Neighbor Totoro

Pinocchio

Rango

Spirited Away

Zootopia

Mulan (not my choice, but kids seem to love it)

If I were to limit it to five from youngest to older then it would be...

Animated: My Neighbor Totoro, Jungle Book, Balto, Lion King and Spirited Away.

Non-animated: Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, Blazing Saddles, The Gods Must Be Crazy and Prisoner of Azkaban

TV series: Arthur, The Muppet Show, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Monty Python and Freaks and Geeks.

Documentaries: March of the Penguins, Planet Earth, Spellbound, Hoop Dreams and Blackfish.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Woland said:

Just sat at my computer instead of playing on my phone.

First animated films for kids. You might as well show them quality films...

Alice in Wonderland (Oillie Johnson was a mentor for Glen Keane)

Beauty and the Beast

Ratatouillle

Coco

Despicable Me

Dumbo

How to Train Your Dragon

The Iron Giant

Kung Fu Panda

Lilo and Stitch

My Neighbor Totoro

Pinocchio

Rango

Spirited Away

Zootopia

Mulan (not my choice, but kids seem to love it)

How do you post a list like this and not include Peter Pan?