OkSt AD would like to see Gundy "aim higher" in recruiting

C-Man

Longtime Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder would like to see football coach Mike Gundy aim higher in recruiting.

Appearing on the Pistols Firing podcast earlier this week, Holder praised Gundy's success but said he wants the coach "to do a little more in recruiting."

Gundy, a former Oklahoma State quarterback, is the school's career coaching wins leader with a 114-53 record in 13 seasons.

"He's really matured into a difference-maker as a coach," Holder said on the podcast. "I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does. I'd want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you're able to achieve."

Oklahoma State's 2018 recruiting class finished 32nd in ESPN's national rankings. Previous classes have ranked 35th, 46th, 34th, 28th and 27th. Gundy has coached the Cowboys to three consecutive 10-win seasons, six 10-win seasons in the past eight and six AP top-20 finishes since 2010.

"At the end of the day, Boone Pickens, Mike Holder and Mike Gundy all want the same thing," Holder said, referring to Oklahoma State alum and mega-booster Pickens, whose name is on the school's home stadium. "We may not always agree on the best course to get there, but at the end of the day, Boone Pickens and I have always deferred to Mike Gundy because he's the guy in charge. He's the one that will have the wins and losses next to his name in the record book, and that deserves autonomy over how you run your football program.

"I would just say, 'Mike, you've got to change your thinking on recruiting a little bit.' That would be all. I think sometimes we settle when we don't have to. But I'm not out there recruiting, and I have no idea how to recruit football players."

As fans commented on Twitter regarding Holder's statement, Gundy posted a simple tweet:

Holder played golf at Oklahoma State and served as the school's men's golf coach from 1973 to 2005, when he became athletic director.

Gundy was a top candidate for Tennessee's coaching vacancy in November before withdrawing his name as well as for the Tennessee vacancy in 2013. He won Big 12 Coach of the Year honors in 2010 and Eddie Robinson national coach of the year honors in 2011, when Oklahoma State went 12-1 and finished No. 3 nationally.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23793823/oklahoma-state-ad-mike-holder-wants-mike-gundy-recruit-better

Sounds like Mr. Holder should ask the Rock Chalkers how things work out when you get a little too overconfident and start second guessing the methods of your most successful coach ever..

Any Jayhawk...just ask any random fan. (or all 3 at the same time)

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

There's nothing wrong with demanding excellence even when you're doing well. But don't air this type of stuff in public.

"I'd like to see Gundy aim a little higher in recruiting".

"How?"

"You know, by finishing with a higher ranking."

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

Would love to see the crash and burn of an Okie State coaching search. Gundy should take the LSU job when it opens.

Feel bad for the fans, they have a jackass for an AD, same.goes for Pickens.

First it was a Mad Hatter that traveled from Stoolwater to the land of the Bayou Bengals. Now it will be a Mad Mullet that traverses the same course. Stay tuned!

Agreed with all of the above, plus it's really counterproductive to air this publicly. If your goal is higher ranked recruiting classes, airing dirty laundry for other teams to use to negatively recruit against you is not a great idea. 

1 minute ago, You don't know me said:

Wow. Way to insult your best coach, your current players and recruits.

He's clearly just T Boone's meat puppet and T Boone wants a championship before he's dead. He's like Red McCombs saying shit on the radio he should have kept internal a few years ago.

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If he’s serious, the only way to aim higher at Oklahoma State is through rampant cheating, so he really ought to be bitching out T. Boone for not pumping more into the slush fund instead of directing the shade toward Gundy.

Don't they have the smallest recruiting budget in the Big 12? Forget cheating - they need to give their coaches more resources to work with if they want to recruit better.

Gundy is a fantastic coach and would have been off to greener pastures already if he weren’t an OSU homer.  During a time of historic success for their program you are gonna shit on the coach you are barely holding on to?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Gundy is a fantastic coach and would have been off to greener pastures already if he weren’t an OSU homer.  During a time of historic success for their program you are gonna shit on the coach you are barely holding on to?  

Would love to hear what is being said by Gundy behind closed doors. 

If there's a way to fuck things up, Okie State will find it.  Gundy's a pretty good coach at this point and he's the best they'll ever get because they're getting the friends and family treatment.  To top it off, he's donating his own money to help secure the local high schools.  (God knows their schools don't have any money.)

If he ever left, they'd crate immediately and turn into the 1-2 year stepping stone that their basketball program has turned in to.

Gundy now has two options if he wants to maintain his dignity/man card: (1) tell the regents that he's leaving if they don't fire the AD before the season starts; or (2) leave next season if the AD isn't fired before the season starts.  He''s the biggest pussy in the world if he just ignores this.

Gundy is a hell of a coach.  Any school would be lucky to have him.  This fuckwad Holder sounds like aggy through and through...just doesn't know his, or his school's, place in the word.    

10 hours ago, 3shot said:

Gundy now has two options if he wants to maintain his dignity/man card: (1) tell the regents that he's leaving if they don't fire the AD before the season starts; or (2) leave next season if the AD isn't fired before the season starts.  He''s the biggest pussy in the world if he just ignores this.

Gundy is a hell of a coach.  Any school would be lucky to have him.  This fuckwad Holder sounds like aggy through and through...just doesn't know his, or his school's, place in the word.    

I've always thought that there must be some interesting dynamics when certain coaches, who are are nearly irreplaceable, "report" to an AD who is more easily replaceable. This situation is definitely not the norm, but does anyone really think that Saban is subordinate to his AD, for example? Gundy isn't Saban, but who do they think they could get that would be better than Gundy? I think most of their fans realize this too.

Pickens is the problem, not whoever is the AD. Gundy is loyal, which is great and all, but he has to.realize it's not Oklahoma State he is coaching, its Picken's team he is coaching. I wouldn't bounce for Tenneesee, but I'd bounce when the next major program comes.calling.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has convinced me that Mike Leach should coach at Kansas and Mark Mangino should coach at Texas Tech. Bonus for Mangino is that if he falls down in Lubbock, he won’t roll downhill and destroy buildings and things. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Some reactions to Demariyon Houston committing to Texas over OSU. I get the distinct sense that while Gundy is realistically the best they're going to get as a coach, he's not a maximizer on the trail.

Reveal hidden contents

DhjXsviUEAA5eQh.jpgDhjXvloUEAAR-Jo.jpgDhjXzpHU0AI4n6X.jpgDhjX0_zUEAABhSs.jpg

No disrespect to OSU but OU and Texas will always have a level of appeal that OSU, TTU, etc don't.  Sometimes it's enough to pull guys like Houston sometimes it's not.  Factor in the perception that a newish coach has Texas on the rise and it shouldn't be a surprise that we steal one once in a while.  Doesn't make Gundy a lazy recruiter.  Maybe he is, but I'd need to see more evidence than Houston.  What I do know about Gundy is that he seems like a turns so-so recruiting classes into teams that compete on a much higher level than one would expect.  Book is still out on Herman, but we haven't had a "do more with less" guy is a LONG time.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Dewey said:

Would love to see the crash and burn of an Okie State coaching search. Gundy should take the LSU job when it opens.

Feel bad for the fans, they have a jackass for an AD, same.goes for Pickens.

Gundy heading to LSU would be an easy way for him to improve his recruiting. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Dewey said:

Pickens is the problem, not whoever is the AD. Gundy is loyal, which is great and all, but he has to.realize it's not Oklahoma State he is coaching, its Picken's team he is coaching. I wouldn't bounce for Tenneesee, but I'd bounce when the next major program comes.calling.

OSU to OSU