Doctor Sleep (or Danny Torrance is all grownsed up)

Sbbruin

On 5/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Green Mile was very good, as well.

Also, I have a rather soft spot for Hearts in Atlantis and I double-dog dare you to criticize a Sir Tony film.  Well, criticize it all you want, but don't dare dismiss it.

Wish I could rep this more. Hearts in Atlantis was awesome as a whole, but the first part was perfect. The Green Mile had me balling at the end of it. It captures something that the excellent movie can't 

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 10:33 PM, Parliament said:

Finally caught it on HBO Plus.  Kinda draggy in the middle, but still a great film.  McGregor was perfect for the role.

Watched it a 2nd time and it's better.  McGregor owned the role, they created a rich universe then stayed in it, payed homage to the original.  And the scene where they tortured the baseball player was horrific.  They didn't show anything, just let out imagination do the work.

• 4 months later...

Big Shining fan, big Ewan fan, big Rebecca Ferguson fan, and I didn’t like this movie. 

It’s a sequel to The Shining, and they spend 5 minutes at the Overlook. With the early Room 237 references, I was psyched. Finally they’re going to elaborate on this shit. Nope. 151 minutes of Danny going to AA meetings and Rebecca Ferguson filming a Little BigTown music video. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Big Shining fan, big Ewan fan, big Rebecca Ferguson fan, and I didn’t like this movie. 

It’s a sequel to The Shining, and they spend 5 minutes at the Overlook. With the early Room 237 references, I was psyched. Finally they’re going to elaborate on this shit. Nope. 151 minutes of Danny going to AA meetings and Rebecca Ferguson filming a Little BigTown music video. 

I mean you know the Overlook Hotel was blown to fuck in the movie and the book. 

Maybe you were hoping for a prequel? 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They blended the Kubrik version of the hotel (and backstory) into it.  So in Kubrick's film, the hotel didn't blow up.  So it still existed in Dr. Sleep (the movie), unlike the book, where the Overlook turned into a campground with a literal scenic overlook platform where the hotel used to be.. 

I thought both the book and the movie (Dr. Sleep) were pretty solid.  But I'd read the book before seeing the movie, and, thus, wasn't expecting any hotel stuff until I saw the film trailer.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe you were hoping for a prequel? 

The Kubrick movie?  Nothing happened to the hotel. Are you talking about the tv film with Rebecca DiMornay?

• Hook 'Em 1

King was wrong about the movie The Shining in 1980. Hallucinations? Topiary monsters? A long first act with Professor Torrance? The degree of difficulty to make that in a feature film back then would be high. Maybe David Lynch takes a shot at a miniseries and would do it justice. Kubrick knocked it out of the park.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

King was wrong about the movie The Shining in 1980. Hallucinations? Topiary monsters? A long first act with Professor Torrance? The degree of difficulty to make that in a feature film back then would be high. Maybe David Lynch takes a shot at a miniseries and would do it justice. Kubrick knocked it out of the park.

King hating The Shining film is one life’s greatest ironies. It’s a masterpiece. Kubrick changed some things around to make his movie. Chill out you Maine weirdo. 

David Lynch is probably the only director that could possibly do as well as Kubrick. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

King hating The Shining film is one life’s greatest ironies. It’s a masterpiece. Kubrick changed some things around to make his movie. Chill out you Maine weirdo. 

David Lynch is probably the only director that could possibly do as well as Kubrick. 

It is, however, a very different story in many ways.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought it was an impossible task to do the movie Dr. Sleep.  The Shining book and movie had so many differences but I love both.  I thought Dr. Sleep did better than it could have hoped for.  Had great actors and the people involved did a great job navigating all of the source material and creating a good story. And I loved the part at the Overlook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is, however, a very different story in many ways.

i've always felt the primary difference was just Jack. Nicholson had an air of malevolence and crazy from the very first scene, the tension and hostility was palpable and  immediate just bc, well, it was Jack fucking Nicholson. book Jack starts from a much more vulnerable, 'good guy' place, and the journey to homicidal mad man seems much...longer and therefore more traumatic.

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

the fucking topiary animals was the most terrifying part of the book for me...i can hear the 'whump' sound of the snow falling softly to the ground! just masterful.

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

i've always felt the primary difference was just Jack. Nicholson had an air of malevolence and crazy from the very first scene, the tension and hostility was palpable and  immediate just bc, well, it was Jack fucking Nicholson. book Jack starts from a much more vulnerable, 'good guy' place, and the journey to homicidal mad man seems much...longer and therefore more traumatic.

the fucking topiary animals was the most terrifying part of the book for me...i can hear the 'whump' sound of the snow falling softly to the ground! just masterful.

That's a good point.  I'm not sure I read the Shining until after I got sober, but the book is a pretty startling portrait of a guy suffering from alcoholic insanity.  The Nicholson character was just flat crazy.

I'm possibly absurdly loyal to King and also almost always prefer books to movies.  I acknowledge the goodness of the film but consider it an almost completely different story.