Battlefield V

MillerEP

On 11/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Speedtrucker said:

Liking it so far.

Although I really wish battlefield would go back to faction specific weapons.

That's probably enough for me to stay away. I stayed away from BF1 for a while and then when I finally got it I was disappointed. It was COD fast paced gun play. Never really felt like I had to work with anyone.

Sounds like this one is more of the same. Really just want to go back to BF3 game play which was a nice mix of team work (if you wanted to dominate) and a little pace.

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Questions for those who've played:

1. Does camp sniping seem to be reduced?  Because fuck those guys.

2. How are the maps?

1) Maybe a little less because most people play Grand Operations which has a shifting map and game modes, so you're a little more mobile. However, when you're stuck stationery trying to blow up certain objectives they can camp the spots. I haven't started bitching about it yet so I suppose I haven't noticed it as much as usual, but that could just be because it's still new and those scum haven't figured out the bullshit camp spots yet.

2) They're pretty.

1) Maybe a little less because most people play Grand Operations which has a shifting map and game modes, so you're a little more mobile. However, when you're stuck stationery trying to blow up certain objectives they can camp the spots. I haven't started bitching about it yet so I suppose I haven't noticed it as much as usual, but that could just be because it's still new and those scum haven't figured out the bullshit camp spots yet.
2) They're pretty.

2nd this.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:37 AM, TexArcher said:

Questions for those who've played:

1. Does camp sniping seem to be reduced?  Because fuck those guys.

2. How are the maps?

Some of the maps are great. Some of them suck. They will need an influx at some point. 

Camp sniping is difficult due to the lens sight giving you away. If you're good enough you can find success with it but it requires a good position and hitting your shots. 

Overall - it's a great game that needs a few tweaks. Fighter MGs are underpowered imo - and it's somewhat unforgiving to newbies. The weapon progression takes some guns from being decent to absolute death lasers (checking in with a maxed out ZH-29).

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

can all classes revive clan mates?  if so, how do you initiate this?

Some people have complained about it but I like the mechanic. Medic class gets a "quick revive" that you can revive anyone with. It's not the insta-defib action of bf in the past - but it's pretty snappy. 

For squadmates - you can revive but it is a rather long action and you are without utility for the duration. i.e. - you're a sitting fucking duck and in prime position to get your head knocked off. 

Using smoke grenades to revive squadmates when you're in the shit is one of my go-tos. 

Also - as you would expect - the action is janky and sometimes doesn't register when you're hitting the revive key. Which - is probably my biggest gripe overall with the game. The actions aren't very flush and the object collision is horrendously obnoxious (Oh? You want to step over a 18 inch outcrop? Nope. Try again)

Edited by ztejas

On 11/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, vtaenz said:

That's probably enough for me to stay away. I stayed away from BF1 for a while and then when I finally got it I was disappointed. It was COD fast paced gun play. Never really felt like I had to work with anyone.

Sounds like this one is more of the same. Really just want to go back to BF3 game play which was a nice mix of team work (if you wanted to dominate) and a little pace.

Despite the fact that it is running on the same engine - the gameplay is much more akin to BF3 or 2142. Big conquest maps with dogfighting, tanks, sniping. They've captured traditional battlefield a lot better than they did in BF1 (which I enjoyed - but was a bit shallow).

If you have a PC you can get a free trial of Origin Premier for 7 days and DL and check it out. 

I've got three hours of MP logged and here are some preliminary thoughts...

The bad: It's buggy (I revived a dude in a corner and we both got stuck there, they need to clean up some of the physics like scaling smaller objects, etc).  I'm very surprised there's no Omaha Beach, but surely it's coming.  My biggest complaint so far is that Domination isn't its own game mode; it's mixed in with TDM and Frontlines.  When I've only got an hour to play, I'd rather play three rounds of Dom than get sucked into Conquest, and I can't do that now.

The good: It's a gorgeous game.  It's significantly faster than BF1.  The maps are solid.  The guns feel good and you don't start off completely handicapped like on some games.  Haven't seen any lag yet (XBone).  And everything is set up to reward teamwork and PTFO.

Something I read online described the game at launch as a rough draft for a very good FPS.  I agree with that.  Once the bugs are fixed and a couple more classic WWII maps drop, I think I'll be really happy with it.

11 hours ago, TexArcher said:

The bad: It's buggy (I revived a dude in a corner and we both got stuck there, they need to clean up some of the physics like scaling smaller objects, etc).  I'm very surprised there's no Omaha Beach, but surely it's coming. 

I recall reading something that said the DLCs will be released more or less how the war unfolded, which is why the US aren't in the allies yet and why D-Day isn't a map yet. It'll be in one of the middle DLCs.

I recall reading something that said the DLCs will be released more or less how the war unfolded, which is why the US aren't in the allies yet and why D-Day isn't a map yet. It'll be in one of the middle DLCs.

Right the game launch and the dlc is set to the “roadmap to war” the factions and locations will move from Germany’s invasion to the D-Day to the end days.

However I don’t think I ever paid attention but is BFV going to be the European theater? I know North Africa is going to see Africa again but did they ever announce the pacific theater?

On 11/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, TexArcher said:

The guns feel good and you don't start off completely handicapped like on some games. 

While this is true... the guns get A LOT better as you progress. A little too much better imo once you get into the teens of whatever class you play and max out the progressions/perks on each gun. 

e.g. the revolver you get at rank 16 with the Scout class is an absolute hand-cannon compared to any of the other pistols. It makes the other pistols look like hot garbage. 

Can't speak to the other classes as I'm probably going to max out one at a time but I think they are giving a little too much firepower to players that are climbing up the ladder quickly. 

Not to say some of the starting guns aren't great - they can be - but they are basically inferior versions of guns you get later on. There doesn't seem to be much of a tradeoff, just overall more effectiveness. 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:20 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Right the game launch and the dlc is set to the “roadmap to war” the factions and locations will move from Germany’s invasion to the D-Day to the end days.

However I don’t think I ever paid attention but is BFV going to be the European theater? I know North Africa is going to see Africa again but did they ever announce the pacific theater?

I would love the Pacific theatre but EA has already seemed to handle the historical aspects a little SJWey. The game asterisks out Hitler if you type it in chat (literally... not fucking kidding) and there is no effort to identify the "Axis" as Swastika bearing Nazis. 

So, that being the case, I would be interested to see how they would handle the even darker moral depths of the Pacific. 

ztejas - which class are you playing (sounds like Recon)?  I'm using Support for my main and Assault as an alternate. 

I'm liking the KE7, but curious if I should switch to the Bren (specs look similar to the KE7, but slightly lower fire rate and 5 more round per clip).  I wish the firing range was open so I could compare them and get to be a less shitty pilot.

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

ztejas - which class are you playing (sounds like Recon)?  I'm using Support for my main and Assault as an alternate. 

I'm liking the KE7, but curious if I should switch to the Bren (specs look similar to the KE7, but slightly lower fire rate and 5 more round per clip).  I wish the firing range was open so I could compare them and get to be a less shitty pilot.

Like I said - can't really speak to the other classes. They might progress differently - I've just noticed with Recon the options really open up the more you grind. You also get better melee weapons.  I'm close to hitting 20 on Recon so after that I'll be able to speak better on other classes. Prob assault next. 

Piloting is tough. I messed with it a bit but I think it needs to be tweaked. The bombers are way heavy on HP imo. I actually fly with an XB1 controller despite playing on PC - use the mouse with infantry. 

What has pissed me off is that there doesn't seem to be a separate sens setting for vehicles/planes - so in jacking up the sens to be able to maneuver planes correctly it makes the vehicles way too sensitive. 

ztejas13 on Origin if anyone wants to add me. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firestorm has a lot of positives.

Pros - it’s fun, I like that it doesn’t take 100 rounds to kill. The marking system is good except when compared to apex legend which has the best marking/pinging system. Back to 4 player squads. The map has some good variety. Nice weapon tiers.

Cons - the looting system is fubar, if 2 or more items are laying on each other it’s impossible to be efficient picking the right thing up. The inventory menu is pubg clunky. The marking system is hard to see at times, it might be our settings but the transparency makes the blue and green teammate markers hard as hell to see. The map has large portions of empty landscape. Soooo many shotguns...

So compared to pubg and apex legends, it’s solid but needs some polishing.

We went for 3 victories in a row just now.

• 2 weeks later...

We played pubg for a long while, quit right before the 2nd map dropped on Xbox.

Firestorm feels like the step between pubg and apex legends.

The weapons are tiered with loadouts, so the Tommie gun “green” tire 1 is irons sights, 20 round mag default flash hider, blue tier 2 has a holosight and flash suppressor, pink tier 3 is the drum mag, top end muzzle and peep sight x2 sights. All the weapons are like that.

It’s like a more polished pubg but with less depth and the loot screen/ability is frustrating. But it’s pretty dang fun

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this as a B'day present over the weekend, different to BF1, still feeling my way. 

Don't like not being able to spot for my team.

I don't give a toss about skins for guns so that doesn't really appeal but I'm an old bloke so maybe that's why. have only played Conquest and Squad Conquest so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

E3 announcements:

New Maps coming:

Operation Marita, Battle of Greece. Infantry focused Map. Comes in July.

North Africa, Al-Sundan, pretty traditional map, 6 flags for Conquest. Comes June 27th.

New CQB Maps coming in August, Provence, Lofoten Islands.

Operation Undergound, which is bringing the Metro map into BF5 on October

Other Changes:

New max rank, so now it goes to 500

At 51 new command points. Every new "milestone rank", you get a new dogatg. 

Private servers are coming in September.

BF5 now in EA Access vault.

Ch5 teasers:

Japanese faction and Pacific Campaign Maps.

Iwo Jima, map announced, and 3 others unannounced.

Edited by MillerEP

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...