Tell Me About UTEP

Vic Mackey

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

All I know about UTEP is that they were a member of the Border Conference back in the day and went by the name Texas School of Mines.

The Border Conference was before my time, but it looks like an amalgamation of the WAC of it's time...

Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association
Border Conference
Established 1931
Dissolved 1962
Association NCAA
Division Division I
Members 6 (final) 9 (total)
Region Southwestern United States
Locations
Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association locations
Edited by kopp0e
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 10:16 AM, Texas007 said:

AcademicSvcs1.jpg

https://admin.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=53233

They do have a nice campus.

It was a lot cooler place to hang out when hittin' the clubs/bars in Juarez was still a relatively safe thing to do. Especially at 2 am when it was last call and you weren't ready to go home.

Yeah the campus is pretty sweet. Too bad about Juarez. Last time I went they were setting tire factories or some shit on fire over there and it looked like El Paso was fucked. 

49 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah the campus is pretty sweet. Too bad about Juarez. Last time I went they were setting tire factories or some shit on fire over there and it looked like El Paso was fucked. 

Isn't El Paso one of the safest cities in the country now? I keep on hearing that, but haven't checked it out.

Isn't El Paso one of the safest cities in the country now? I keep on hearing that, but haven't checked it out.
It sure is. I played softball with a girl that was from there. Crime is very low. It's what happens on the other side of the border that some people think El Paso is somewhat dangerous. Or the fact it's made up of mainly Hispanics.

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

It sure is. I played softball with a girl that was from there. Crime is very low. It's what happens on the other side of the border that some people think El Paso is somewhat dangerous. Or the fact it's made up of mainly Hispanics.

It's also a byproduct of people just not having a fucking clue what goes on out in the Transpecos.

UTEP is as good a school as Tech.  And it's in a better town than Lubbock.  I honestly don't know why anyone would go to Tech over UTEP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah all the criminals keep a low profile and pass through el Paso because it's very well policed. Very chill, but literally a no-go zone within a stones throw away in Juarez. Roofs on buildings we work on there regularly have bullet holes in them.

11 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah all the criminals keep a low profile and pass through el Paso because it's very well policed. Very chill, but literally a no-go zone within a stones throw away in Juarez. Roofs on buildings we work on there regularly have bullet holes in them.

Must depend on the area, as El Paso is trying to really revitalize downtown. 

Anyways, don't know if there's too much to say about UTEP. It's extremely Hispanic, which makes sense, the architecture on campus is phenomenal and fits fantastically with the location, the stadium is old, but has one of the best views in the entire nation on a fall night, and Don Haskins will forever be cherished. 

As for El Paso, it feels like it's almost always a decade behind the rest of the state, but there's definitely more of a move towards craft breweries with Deadbeach (the Abuelita stout is probably one of my favorite beers) and Ode, Mesa St is getting a lot more restaurant and bars beyond the normal chains, Chico's Tacos is amazing if you're from there, may not if you aren't, the Chihuahuas are amazing and an USL soccer team is on the way for more action, and the city itself is growing tremendously, particularly on the NE side. It's not a destination city, but if you're from there, it somehow captivates you if you manage to escape. 

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Had a baseball tournament in EP in high school. I think it was at Bowie but a dude running from the cops behind the outfield fence. I think it was at Bowie. Pretty much all I got.

So YOU hit close to home?

On 6/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Might as well round out the Texas based schools. It's a UT based school but this is all I know about it:

You'd fit right in.

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Had a baseball tournament in EP in high school. I think it was at Bowie but a dude running from the cops behind the outfield fence.  Pretty much all I got.

That sounds right.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:16 AM, Texas007 said:

AcademicSvcs1.jpg

https://admin.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=53233

They do have a nice campus.

It was a lot cooler place to hang out when hittin' the clubs/bars in Juarez was still a relatively safe thing to do. Especially at 2 am when it was last call and you weren't ready to go home.

Not too many other places around with Bhutanese styled buildings.

punakha-dzong.jpg

From Connelly's 2018 football preview: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/2/20/17021650/utep-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

The UTEP first string won’t be without talent, especially if Locksley is ready to thrive. But the depth is nonexistent; a hearty bite from the injury bug, or a few JUCO recruiting misses, would prevent any tangible improvement.

When you finish winless and dead last in S&P+, you’re not thinking about massive improvement. It’s all about increments, and Dimel knows as well as anyone how difficult it is.

S&P+ doesn’t project much improvement in El Paso, and the schedule won’t help much. A season opener against Northern Arizona should end the losing streak, but of the four 2017 opponents projected 100th or worse this fall, only one comes to El Paso. As a result, the Miners have a win probability above 30 percent in just two games all year. This isn’t going to be a particularly fun year, but when you go winless and finish last in S&P+, there is literally nowhere to go but up.

Anyways, don't know if there's too much to say about UTEP. It's extremely Hispanic, which makes sense, the architecture on campus is phenomenal and fits fantastically with the location, the stadium is old, but has one of the best views in the entire nation on a fall night, and Don Haskins will forever be cherished. 
As for El Paso, it feels like it's almost always a decade behind the rest of the state, but there's definitely more of a move towards craft breweries with Deadbeach (the Abuelita stout is probably one of my favorite beers) and Ode, Mesa St is getting a lot more restaurant and bars beyond the normal chains, Chico's Tacos is amazing if you're from there, may not if you aren't, the Chihuahuas are amazing and an USL soccer team is on the way for more action, and the city itself is growing tremendously, particularly on the NE side. It's not a destination city, but if you're from there, it somehow captivates you if you manage to escape. 

Westside Coronado grad checking in. Did a summer semester at UTEP between UT freshman and sophomore year. Last time I was home. The campus is pretty. I may have been the only wedo in my calc class.

The last statement by Gabrielshorn is true. You have to get out to appreciate it.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, Ghost of LL said:

It's also a byproduct of people just not having a fucking clue what goes on out in the Transpecos.

UTEP is as good a school as Tech.  And it's in a better town than Lubbock.  I honestly don't know why anyone would go to Tech over UTEP.

I would say looking at it from abstract, maybe some (uninformed) view Texas Tech as the 3rd biggest/best brand in the state (although Houston is slightly bigger), and that a diploma from Tech or A&M sounds better to some than a degree from UTEP or Houston...

On 6/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

Some of the growth is expected to overflow across the state line into New Mexico soon I would assume as well... 

2559.png?yocs=q_&yoloc=us

I have nephews that live in El Paso I found it interesting that there's a "Hot Dog On A Stick" location within the city (as they are few & far between nowadays)...

Edited by kopp0e

The biggest downside to El Paso is it feels like an island with no other major cities (in the US) within 400 miles.

And it doesn't even feel like a part of Texas given it's a shorter drive from El Paso to Phoenix, AZ than El Paso to San Antonio. It's also a shorter drive from El Paso to San Diego, CA than El Paso to Houston.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I would say looking at it from abstract, maybe some (uninformed) view Texas Tech as the 3rd biggest/best brand in the state (although Houston is slightly bigger), and that a diploma from Tech or A&M sounds better to some than a degree from UTEP or Houston...

I'd place them in tiers if I'm looking at blind resumes from that list

1.) A&M (education wise, don't hire for other reasons)

2.) Tech

3.) UTEP/UH

Not that UTEP or UH are bad schools.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'd place them in tiers if I'm looking at blind resumes from that list

1.) A&M (education wise, don't hire for other reasons)

2.) Tech

3.) UTEP/UH

UT Dallas is above all of those.

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Ironically in my experience your avg. UTEP professor is likely to have a much better command of the English language than your avg. UT prof. I'd say UTEP has pretty good professors but a lot of shitty students.

their president is finally going to retire she has been holding them back for a decade or more with her refusal to have admissions standards above that of a Juco

hopefully they will get someone in there that has a brain and not just false "latina pride" and that wants people to have a degree they can be proud of instead of some college debt and a 0.0 GPA

shit it probably takes you at most 25 or 30 minutes to go across town and they have a community college system there is no reason for them to have no SAT or ACT required for those in the top 25% of their HS class and a 950/19 (can tie shoes and chew gum at some time) for the second 25% and a 970/20 for the 3rd 25% of HS class.....even the bottom 25% of the HS class is 990/21 shit that is like not having standards at all

they actually do a large amount of research (and have for years and years) including competitively awarded research, but they are rapidly falling behind UTD while UTA is catching them rapidly and UTSA will probbaly start gaining on them sooner than later with a new president

in 2007 UTEP did $47,410 in total research and development while UTD did $46,477, UTA $33,324 and UTSA $32,312

in 2016 that was UTD $106,205, UTEP $91,330 , UTA $87, 386 and UTSA $59,831

so in 2007 UTEP was about $1 million above UTD and $14 over UTA and $15 over UTSA

in 2016 they are $15 behind UTD, $4 over UTA and $32 over UTSA, but UTSA has the same issue a long term president that got tired of doing his job and liked to cup butt cheeks when he gave brazos

and you can't blame "location" on that because in that same period Tech went from $59,439 to $172,521 so Tech went from $12 million over to $80 million over (and neither is a major metro area or close to one) 

even Texas State went from $10,320 to $54,290 so $37 and staying at $37 under and Texas State was never a designated research/PhD granting university (until recently) like UTEP has been for decades and Texas State has not had the degree programs for research or the PhD programs that UTEP has had for decades that bring in research

UTEP actually has the restricted research numbers to come close to qualifying for NRUF funding, but they are light years away on the other needed 4 out of 6 criteria and they have not had an endowment campaign in forever

their endowment was $144 in 2006 with UTD being $236, UTA $51 and UTSA $44

now it is UTD $508.5, UTEP $222.5, UTA $158 and UTSA $164

so UTEP up $78.5 million, UTD up $270 million , UTA up  $107 and UTSA up $120.....and UTA has done shit to raise theirs with no major campaign in recent history if ever and UTSA only had their first starting in 2009 or so and ending about 4 years ago and their new president has another one planned to start soon

UTEP has a lot of potential, but their president stayed about 10 years too long and has done shit to advance the university other then what the UT System has made easy for her and hopefully that will change and change rapidly with some fresh blood

I think 2 G5 schools that have the chance to move up to the P5 within the next 15 to 25 years are University of Texas El Paso & San Diego State, both are in top 20 markets nationally and are the only football team to watch on the fall... Both have an exploding population within the city limits & the outskirts of the cities as well...

Photo of El Paso:

14712164_e856cabbc1_b.jpg

Photo of San Diego:

IMG_6858.jpg~original

Edited by kopp0e

I don't think city population/population growth has much effect on anything in regards to athletic classification. I mean there are several Universities in New York and Chicago and none of them are even D1. And what about U of H and SMU that are addressed in the 4th and 9th largest US cities, respectively 

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

I think 2 G5 schools that have the chance to move up to the P5 within the next 15 to 25 years are University of Texas El Paso & San Diego State, both are in top 20 markets nationally and are the only football team to watch on the fall... Both have an exploding population within the city limits & the outskirts of the cities as well...

Wishful thinking IMO. If UTEP didn't have such a kick ass stadium I'd probably be agitating for them to give up the football team.

I'd love to be wrong about that however.

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I don't think city population/population growth has much effect on anything in regards to athletic classification. I mean there are several Universities in New York and Chicago and none of them are even D1. And what about U of H and SMU that are addressed in the 4th and 9th largest US cities, respectively 

That is correct, but in the case of many of the schools on the east coast is University of New York Violets & University of Chicago Maroons, but schools de-emphasized athletics far before the current situation of live collegiate athletics funding so much (even title IX)... SMU fell off by getting caught at the right place "death penalty" at the wrong time "Breakup of SWC", and Houston was an unfortunate casualty of Baylor being forced upon UT & the Big8 in the original merger...

(as there was talk at first of the original XII roster being):

Texas

Texas A&M

New Mexico 

BYU

3 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

Wishful thinking IMO. If UTEP didn't have such a kick ass stadium I'd probably be agitating for them to give up the football team.

I'd love to be wrong about that however.

If ol' West Texas can whoop the mess out of basketball blueblood Kentucky for a NCAA national championship, then I would say that the same can be done of getting the right coach in for the Miners & get the program on the cusp of power conference status, as when Utah was kicking Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, it was as a member of the MWC at the time...

44 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

If ol' West Texas can whoop the mess out of basketball blueblood Kentucky for a NCAA national championship, then I would say that the same can be done of getting the right coach in for the Miners & get the program on the cusp of power conference status, as when Utah was kicking Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, it was as a member of the MWC at the time...

Eh. I would attribute UTEP/Texas Western's basketball championship to them being one of the first teams to have a predominantly black roster during segregation. That opened them up to some of the top recruits other schools wouldn't take due to racism and whatnot. I don't see something like that happening again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Eh. I would attribute UTEP/Texas Western's basketball championship to them being one of the first teams to have a predominantly black roster during segregation. That opened them up to some of the top recruits other schools wouldn't take due to racism and whatnot. I don't see something like that happening again.

I know you are right...

As if UTEP found a diamond in the rough as a coach the stature of Herman or Riley, the school would have trouble competing with potential offers from other power conferences... 

• 1 month later...