Tell Me About UTEP

Vic Mackey

On 8/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, kopp0e said:

That's good news..! Does the Sun Bowl Foundation (or what the name might be), ever help with updating the stadium..?

Not that I know of. They have a hard enough time funding the bowl game (it's the Sun Bowl Assoc btw).

The stadium was owned by the county for a long time, only fairly recently did the school (or UT System) take ownership.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Terroristic threat? 😳

It’s almost always a bullshit add on to an arrest. For example “Shut the fuck up or I’ll knock your ass out” counts as a terroristic threat. You can be charged with it if you say anything to another person that implies you’re going to hurt them.

Edited by Helobious

I think 2 G5 schools that have the chance to move up to the P5 within the next 15 to 25 years are University of Texas El Paso & San Diego State, both are in top 20 markets nationally and are the only football team to watch on the fall... Both have an exploding population within the city limits & the outskirts of the cities as well...
Photo of El Paso:
14712164_e856cabbc1_b.jpg
Photo of San Diego:
IMG_6858.jpg~original
One of these has the Pacific Ocean to the west, the other has the murder capital of North America, if not the world.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26930729/utep-qb-locksley-facing-dwi-marijuana-charges

UTEP quarterback Kai Locksley faces charges of driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession, unlawful carrying of a weapon and terroristic threat after his arrest this weekend, jail records show.

Locksley, the son of Maryland coach Mike Locksley, has been suspended from the team. He was released from El Paso County (Texas) Jail on Saturday after posting bonds totaling $2,900, records show.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

Must depend on the area, as El Paso is trying to really revitalize downtown. 

Anyways, don't know if there's too much to say about UTEP. It's extremely Hispanic, which makes sense, the architecture on campus is phenomenal and fits fantastically with the location, the stadium is old, but has one of the best views in the entire nation on a fall night, and Don Haskins will forever be cherished. 

As for El Paso, it feels like it's almost always a decade behind the rest of the state, but there's definitely more of a move towards craft breweries with Deadbeach (the Abuelita stout is probably one of my favorite beers) and Ode, Mesa St is getting a lot more restaurant and bars beyond the normal chains, Chico's Tacos is amazing if you're from there, may not if you aren't, the Chihuahuas are amazing and an USL soccer team is on the way for more action, and the city itself is growing tremendously, particularly on the NE side. It's not a destination city, but if you're from there, it somehow captivates you if you manage to escape. 

It's been a few years since I've been to El Paso, but I've always felt that the rest of the state kind of forgets it's out there and on the flip side, El Paso kind of embraces that view.  They are more like some of the other big metro areas in the Southwest like Phoenix,  Tucson, Albuquerque, etc as far as climate, geographical features, etc than the rest of the state albeit San Antonio might share some of the same economic drivers such as military presence, demographics, etc.  Plus they are in a separate time zone out there too which I've aways kind of wondered why that was the case.    

I need to make a trip out there just to kind of check it out again.   The Franklin Mountains State Park looks like fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...