Scoring Games By Hand

Bobby Light

Does anyone do this?

I was thinking I wanted to try it out for a few MLB games this year, for no reason in particular other than it just seems like something i might like.

Do they still have score sheets in the programs or should I bring my own?

Any particular methods you like?

I wound up doing it a lot in high school when I wasn't playing.  I learned to kind of like it.  I didn't enjoy counting pitches though, and it's easy to get distracted, but if it doesn't matter then who cares.  Coach would get mad if it got fucked up.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I always do, it's fun. 

Don't try to keep a pitch count, you will have enough to keep track of.

It's exciting, but it sucks, when a team bats around in an inning.  You have to cheat into the adjacent inning, and hope that doesn't offset the whole rest of the game.

I've been to a 14-inning game - that was fun going to the next page.

Read up on some of the theories and abbreviations and other things (K vs. backwards K, for example).  But over time you'll develop your own little code. 

True story: at Safeco Field in Seattle there is a statue of long-time announcer Dave Niehaus, installed after he died.  In the statue, he's sitting at a table with a microphone and his scorebook in front of him.  You can go up to it and look at his notes, and if you're a Mariners fan, you will recognize the game.  (Cora on 3rd, Jr on 1st, Edgar hits a double - UNBELIEVABLE!)

NiehausScorebook.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

True story: at Safeco Field in Seattle there is a statue of long-time announcer Dave Niehaus, installed after he died.  In the statue, he's sitting at a table with a microphone and his scorebook in front of him.  You can go up to it and look at his notes, and if you're a Mariners fan, you will recognize the game.  (Cora on 3rd, Jr on 1st, Edgar hits a double - UNBELIEVABLE!)

NiehausScorebook.jpg

I wasn't able to get tickets to this game, but myself and a few co-workers did score tickets to game 4 that allowed this one to be played, winner take all. It was the loudest I had ever heard the Kingdome (I was not a Seahawk fan nor did I go to their games), and I came home with my ears ringing. Cannot imagine (but I know it was) being louder when Jr. came around from 1st to score the winning run.

My son and I were at the Arkansas game in Omaha, and I commented to him how no one anywhere near us was keeping score and how different that was from when I was a kid.  Of course, neither was I, but what made me think about it was the guy sitting to my right whose big hat was blocking my view of the pitch count on the scoreboard.

/csb