WC day 4

Hagbard Celine

I'm not saying this is a likely outcome, but this possible HALF of the knockout stage bracket has gone from "no fucking way" to "wait, this could happen?"

Df6X5udUcAELg6y.jpg:large

I think Spain still ends up winning Group B and have no idea what's going to happen with Argentina but it's going to be hard for Germany to win their group now.

25 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I'm not saying this is a likely outcome, but this possible HALF of the knockout stage bracket has gone from "no fucking way" to "wait, this could happen?"

Df6X5udUcAELg6y.jpg:large

I think Spain still ends up winning Group B and have no idea what's going to happen with Argentina but it's going to be hard for Germany to win their group now.

Well even if Spain ends up winning their group, it's not like Portugal is a pushover. If it played out like you have it, I could see Portugal beating Uruguay and Argentina... 

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Well even if Spain ends up winning their group, it's not like Portugal is a pushover. If it played out like you have it, I could see Portugal beating Uruguay and Argentina... 

Right. 538 has a predictive model and picking the favorites to win each match, here are the odds they gave Spain and Portugal of beating the best possible opponents in each round

Spain
Uruguay - 70
France - 57
Brazil - 44

Portugal
Uruguay - 58
France - 45 (LOL)
Brazil - 34

Anyway, I think the Germany-Mexico result was great for Spain. It's going to be hard for Germany to win their group now and I think Spain's problems against Portugal were correctable mental mistakes they should improve upon going forward. 538 actually has them as the most likely team to win the World Cup now even though they'd be an underdog head to head with Brazil because Brazil is now on track to play Germany in the Round of 16.

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

If it plays out like that, I don't see Argentina beating France to get to the Quarterfinals.

Es triste, pero es verdad.

5 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Mexico's representation on the East Side was huge today. Pretty sure Takoba, Licha's, Revelry, Brixton, and Lazarus were completely taken over

Were you at any? Licha's was pretty fuckin fun on the back patio. The video of Takoba looked like their patio was the same. I didn't know they opened back up.

Well I hosted a watch party for the Mexico game and the result was not expected at all. The anxiety for those of us that lived through Germany (1998) and the Netherlands (2014) beating us 2-1 after we had a lead 1 to 0 late in the second half was sky high. Even with 15 minutes left we could not believe we were going to hold on. The elation was great when we did hold on. Mexico should have scored more but this is a story that has not changed. The missed passed by Chicharrito to Vela had me seeing flash backs to El Matador hitting a wide open opportunity 8 feet from the goal directly to the goalie.

On to hoping Mexico does not find a way to screwing this victory up.

See: 1 minute in

On 6/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, mdmost said:

Begins here

Yea I am ecstatic but I can't still believe Mexico played so "well" since we missed so many scoring chances. I said after the game I though we would lose badly and then my brother said I thought so too but I was leading the pack of pessimism. So I am glad I was wrong but nothing up until yesterday indicated that we would do what we did in that game.