Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

Mr Mesero about to undergo some pretty big changes.  Mico had another falling out with his partners and settled things about a month ago...

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2018/05/mesero-mico-rodriguez-settles-lawsuit/

Went by last night and they’re in the process of overhauling the menu and changing the name.  Mico was there and seemed pretty hands-on which I’ve never witnessed before.  He seems like a weird fucking dude.  Probably a genius, but a weird one...eccentric is probably the right term.  He was dressed like a character straight out of Breaking Bad.

Anyway, the place is always really solid and I don’t expect that will change much with the new menu and name. The name they floated out to me last night was really fucking stupid, but again, he’s the genius so who am I to argue?  Menu ideas floated out all seemed great.  A little less gringo from what they’re saying which is fine by me.

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

In other Tex Mex news, stopped at Fernando’s Knox Henderson location last night and it was closed.  Looks like they’ve sold it or something.  Changing to El Vecino which has another location in East Dallas...

http://fernandostexmex.com/bignewsattravis/

Anyone been to the original El Vacino location?

Interesting. Fernando's was always hopping when I lived over there. The one by my new place is much smaller.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked out the new place in Deep Ellum called Vidorra last night.  They just opened this week so still working out some kinks I'd guess.

The good:

Very cool space that looks like it's been there forever despite being brand new...in a good way.  It's pretty open air with a great rooftop so I can only imagine it gets better as it gets cooler and darker earlier.

Their chips and queso, tortillas and queso fundido were some of the best I've had in Dallas, which gives me hope.  We didn't have much to drink, but the small sampling we did have (2 different margaritas) seemed legit.

The bad:

Took forever to get seated.  It was rockin, but there were plenty of empty tables (it is a HUGE space).  It was clearly just some kind of communication issue they were having.

Service was extremely slow and disjointed.  Took forever to see our waiter between visits.  All three of our entrées came out separately, like 15 minutes apart.  Fist one came out, second one came out about 15 minutes later and were told at that point that they were out of the third one, so had to select something else which came out about 15 minutes after that.  They were also out of one of the rice sides we ordered so they just brought a different one without asking if we'd like something different for that.  One drink got screwed up and one person's sides never showed up.  Looked like they had a ton of people working there so it wasn't like they were understaffed.  Just lots of left hand not talking to the right it seemed.

Food, past the appetizers, was very meh.  It was almost shocking how it could even possibly be that bad after the appetizer round was so great.  Had street tacos and 2 different enchilada plates with some rice and beans.  Have to believe that will improve at some point.

Bathroom was disgustingly dirty.  It felt like it hadn't been cleaned since they opened on Wednesday.  If it weren't brand new, I would never go back to a place with a restroom that dirty ever again just based on that.

I'll probably give it another shot at some point, but definitely going to wait several months to let them work out the kinks.

• 1 month later...

Hate to say this, but the place that used to be Mr Mesero (see OP) looks to be struggling a little since changing over.  Apparently, the lawsuit forced Mico to change the name (it's now something I can never remember) and menu and that really meant he couldn't do pretty much anything that was on the old Mr Mesero menu.  He redid their menu (sort of) and now there are currently several items on it that they can't serve due to the lawsuit.  Not sure if Mico is just being stubborn and pushing the envelope too much or if his former partners are just being dicks and trying to make his life miserable.

One of the items, for example, is queso fundido.  It is an item that's on the new menu and is on the Mesero menu, but it's something that in no way shape or form is proprietary to either of them.  I've had it at several TexMex places.  So, not sure where the line is drawn.  They can still serve enchiladas and tacos which are on the menu at Mesero.  Weird deal.

But, on top of that, the last time we went was pretty dead compared to normal.  I'd think if anything, with some of the best patio weather we've had all year, it would be more busy than normal.  And aside from the lawsuit items, there were a couple other items we couldn't get because they were out of fish.  Usually not a good sign when that starts happening.  Hopefully it was just a fluke night.

All of that said, I hope they get it sorted out.  Love that place when it's on.  And either way, they need to redo the menus again and remove the lawsuit items until they get that shit sorted out.  Or, who knows, maybe they have to leave it on as part of some kind of counter suit?  Anyway, none of this mess is doing anyone any good.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Hate to say this, but the place that used to be Mr Mesero (see OP) looks to be struggling a little since changing over.  Apparently, the lawsuit forced Mico to change the name (it's now something I can never remember) and menu and that really meant he couldn't do pretty much anything that was on the old Mr Mesero menu.  He redid their menu (sort of) and now there are currently several items on it that they can't serve due to the lawsuit.  Not sure if Mico is just being stubborn and pushing the envelope too much or if his former partners are just being dicks and trying to make his life miserable.

One of the items, for example, is queso fundido.  It is an item that's on the new menu and is on the Mesero menu, but it's something that in no way shape or form is proprietary to either of them.  I've had it at several TexMex places.  So, not sure where the line is drawn.  They can still serve enchiladas and tacos which are on the menu at Mesero.  Weird deal.

But, on top of that, the last time we went was pretty dead compared to normal.  I'd think if anything, with some of the best patio weather we've had all year, it would be more busy than normal.  And aside from the lawsuit items, there were a couple other items we couldn't get because they were out of fish.  Usually not a good sign when that starts happening.  Hopefully it was just a fluke night.

All of that said, I hope they get it sorted out.  Love that place when it's on.  And either way, they need to redo the menus again and remove the lawsuit items until they get that shit sorted out.  Or, who knows, maybe they have to leave it on as part of some kind of counter suit?  Anyway, none of this mess is doing anyone any good.

Which one? Mico, I think, only gets to keep the original one on McKinney. The rest, including the one in Inwood Village that we always go to, went to Mico's partners. That one seems to not have missed a beat IMO.

Went back and read the D Mag story. I've got things right. I've only been the McKinney location once or twice and way back before they even had a second location. I don't see how they can keep him doing some of the recipes. At the end of the day, can't he make what he fucking wants? He might have to rename it or something.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I know it's a chain, but does anyone else like Uncle Julio's? They have some stuff on the lunch specials menu that's consistent, pretty good TexMex. 

Nope.  Haven’t liked it for about 10-15 years.  Last time I went (dinner), everything on the table was awful.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Nope.  Haven’t liked it for about 10-15 years.  Last time I went (dinner), everything on the table was awful.

Might be a location type deal. The one on Lemmon does a decent job at lunch.

But I get that tastes for Mexican differ. Ask Vic.

If you are out north east of Dallas (Sachse) do your self a favor and go to Frankie’s Mexican Cafe. Not Tex mex but more mex. Guiso is awesome. Beef tacos are awesome and cheap. They cube up small beef chunks on homemade tortillas. They have a special sauce (gauillo?) they put on plate to add if you want. Refrieds have a little cream in them. So smooth. $8.50. 

Every time we go somewhere else we cry and promise Frankie’s we will never cheat again. 

Seriously read the reviews. Is worth going out of your way for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaddie said:

If you are out north east of Dallas (Sachse) do your self a favor and go to Frankie’s Mexican Cafe. Not Tex mex but more mex. Guiso is awesome. Beef tacos are awesome and cheap. They cube up small beef chunks on homemade tortillas. They have a special sauce (gauillo?) they put on plate to add if you want. Refrieds have a little cream in them. So smooth. $8.50. 

Every time we go somewhere else we cry and promise Frankie’s we will never cheat again. 

Cool.  I live in Rowlett and was actually looking for a new Mexican place for tomorrow (my birthday).  

Funny thing is that when I lived in E TN, I would have killed for any number of more authentic Mexican/Tex-Mex places in the area.  That being said, I still haven't found a go-to.  Weird because we had a great go-to in Knoxville.  I've found a lot of 8's but no 10's as of yet.

6 hours ago, Shaddie said:

If it’s the same Frankie’s that’s in Richardson, it’s great for a neighborhood joint, but not a place I would drive to Sachse for.  And I say that as someone who eats there once a month at least.

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If it’s the same Frankie’s that’s in Richardson, it’s great for a neighborhood joint, but not a place I would drive to Sachse for.  And I say that as someone who eats there once a month at least.

Quick glance at their website says you are correct...same chain.  And another quick glance at their menu says it is Tex Mex and nothing even remotely close to "authentic mexican".

28 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I haven’t eaten at the one in Richardson. The one in Sachse has lots of things you don’t find in Tex mex. Google reviews of the one in Sachse and you will see the excellent reviews it gets. 

With few exceptions, reviews are generally only in relation to what's available in the immediate area, but I'll check it out out if I'm ever out that way.

Frankie's was pretty good.  Another 8 in my book. I got my usual - fajitas.  I consider myself a fajita connoisseur.  Worked at a Mexican restaurant for 8 years putting my wife through college, returning, and get my ED degree.  One thing I don't like is when the meat is sliced too thick.  Yes, I know I can cut it into smaller pieces but, in doing so, the flavor can get lost.  (I'm entirely unsure if that makes sense to anyone but me.)  I also like for the onions to carmelize on the skillet.  I also like for the shrimp to be seared; not broiled.

The aforementioned Knoxville place had a fajita-type dish that was served in a very large molcajete made out of lava rock.  Had the usual chx, steak, shrimp, etc..  It also had the best chorizo I've ever had.  I've yet to find anything close to how good this was.  I've heard there's a place in Richardson that may have something similar???

(Note: My initial review is entirely based on the fajitas.  Everything else I tasted was really good.)

• 1 month later...

Ditto on the aggy emphasis, but they serve solid basic Tex-Mex.  I've not been since they moved from the Inwood location to Walnut Hill/Central Expressway around four years ago, but since they've been in business for 50+ years, I can't imagine they've screwed the pooch too much with the latest location change.

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Says the Uncle Julio's fan. 

Uncle Julio's is not bad. It's fine. If it was more expensive I wouldn't eat there. Tupinamba is not good. If it was cheaper I still probably wouldn't eat there. The reason it stays open is because it is in a texmex desert. When Mesero opens across the street those aggys are going to be in trouble. 

But texmex is contentious. If you like it power to you. The people that run it seem like decent folk and I like the waitstaff and bartenders I've interacted with there. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Uncle Julio's is not bad. It's fine. If it was more expensive I wouldn't eat there. Tupinamba is not good. If it was cheaper I still probably wouldn't eat there. The reason it stays open is because it is in a texmex desert. When Mesero opens across the street those aggys are going to be in trouble. 

But texmex is contentious. If you like it power to you. The people that run it seem like decent folk and I like the waitstaff and bartenders I've interacted with there. 

I went to Uncle Julio's once after the complete overhaul of the inside of the Lemmon location. I thought it was pretty poor and haven't been back since. Used to really like their fajitas and they make their own flour tortillas.

I like you but I disagree with this.

However, take your asses to Casa Navarro

On 1/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Frankie's was pretty good.  Another 8 in my book. I got my usual - fajitas.  I consider myself a fajita connoisseur.  Worked at a Mexican restaurant for 8 years putting my wife through college, returning, and get my ED degree.  One thing I don't like is when the meat is sliced too thick.  Yes, I know I can cut it into smaller pieces but, in doing so, the flavor can get lost.  (I'm entirely unsure if that makes sense to anyone but me.)  I also like for the onions to carmelize on the skillet.  I also like for the shrimp to be seared; not broiled.

The aforementioned Knoxville place had a fajita-type dish that was served in a very large molcajete made out of lava rock.  Had the usual chx, steak, shrimp, etc..  It also had the best chorizo I've ever had.  I've yet to find anything close to how good this was.  I've heard there's a place in Richardson that may have something similar???

(Note: My initial review is entirely based on the fajitas.  Everything else I tasted was really good.)

got a fav fajitas spot in Dallas @Knoxtnhorn?

• 2 weeks later...

I ate dinner at Jose on Lovers Lane last week and I thought it was good. Picked it for a work dinner after reading this:

https://dallas.eater.com/maps/dallas-best-new-restaurants-heatmap (Jose is #2 on the list)

And was looking for something near DAL. Good strong margarita, good guacamole and salsas, redfish entree was really good. Compadres enjoyed their tacos and enchiladas. Would go back.

I ate dinner at Jose on Lovers Lane last week and I thought it was good. Picked it for a work dinner after reading this:

https://dallas.eater.com/maps/dallas-best-new-restaurants-heatmap (Jose is #2 on the list)

And was looking for something near DAL. Good strong margarita, good guacamole and salsas, redfish entree was really good. Compadres enjoyed their tacos and enchiladas. Would go back.

It’s spendy. Have only been to HH there but they brought the taco truck out for a work event and I thought those were good. Damn good churros too.