Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've tried to go twice now. The first time they were only taking cash because the storms had knocked out their system I guess. The 2nd time they were closed for a private event. 

Getting texmex blue balls over here. 

Be prepared to wait too. It's always hella busy for dinner.

Primo's is back.

Former local Tex-Mex haunt, Primo’s Tex-Mex will reopen in its original Uptown Dallas location late this summer as an evolved concept, Primo’s MX Kitchen & Lounge. Diners can expect an elevated bar program and chef-driven Tex-Mex cuisine that integrates authentic, bold flavors with fresh ingredients.

Mehrdad Moayedi, president and CEO of Centurion American Development Group, has brought on Jeffrey Kollinger, CEO of Spice of Life Catering and Tillman’s Bishop Arts, as operating partner of Refined Hospitality Group – a newly formed company over Primo’s MX Kitchen & Lounge and other upcoming restaurant concepts to be announced in the coming months.

Open for lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch and late-night on weekends, diners can enjoy items such as:

Chili Dusted Beef Tenderloin  Ranchero Brussels sprouts, Spiced Crispy Potatoes with a Roasted Poblano-Demiglace

Stuffed Jalapeños Lightly Fried Jalapeños stuffed with Smoked Chicken and Asadero Cheese

Enchiladas Verdes Y Crema  House-Smoked Chicken, Queso Oaxaca, Cilantro, Onion, topped with salsa verde and house-made sour cream sauce

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos-mx-kitchen-lounge-reopens-late-this-summer-as-evolved-restaurant-concept/#more-69523

Primo's is back.

Former local Tex-Mex haunt, Primo’s Tex-Mex will reopen in its original Uptown Dallas location late this summer as an evolved concept, Primo’s MX Kitchen & Lounge. Diners can expect an elevated bar program and chef-driven Tex-Mex cuisine that integrates authentic, bold flavors with fresh ingredients.

Mehrdad Moayedi, president and CEO of Centurion American Development Group, has brought on Jeffrey Kollinger, CEO of Spice of Life Catering and Tillman’s Bishop Arts, as operating partner of Refined Hospitality Group – a newly formed company over Primo’s MX Kitchen & Lounge and other upcoming restaurant concepts to be announced in the coming months.

Open for lunch and dinner daily, as well as brunch and late-night on weekends, diners can enjoy items such as:

Chili Dusted Beef Tenderloin  Ranchero Brussels sprouts, Spiced Crispy Potatoes with a Roasted Poblano-Demiglace

Stuffed Jalapeños Lightly Fried Jalapeños stuffed with Smoked Chicken and Asadero Cheese

Enchiladas Verdes Y Crema  House-Smoked Chicken, Queso Oaxaca, Cilantro, Onion, topped with salsa verde and house-made sour cream sauce

https://cravedfw.com/2019/06/25/primos-mx-kitchen-lounge-reopens-late-this-summer-as-evolved-restaurant-concept/#more-69523

It never left. It’s called E-Bar.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
OG On The Border Knox Henderson finally closing (sort of).  Never see a sole in there.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/restaurants/2019/07/31/first-border-restaurant-closing-dallas-weekend

You know why? Because On The Border is shit food that appeals to your grandma from Wisconsin who likes the pretty decor. She thinks it’s amazing compared to her previous Mexican food favorite place, Del Taco.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You know why? Because On The Border is shit food that appeals to your grandma from Wisconsin who likes the pretty decor. She thinks it’s amazing compared to her previous Mexican food favorite place, Del Taco.

No doubt.  Not to mention there are literally 3 better Tex-Mex joints within walking distance of that location.

20 hours ago, Landomatic said:

OG On The Border Knox Henderson finally closing (sort of).  Never see a sole in there.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/restaurants/2019/07/31/first-border-restaurant-closing-dallas-weekend

So gross. One of my wife's friends works in On the Border's catering group so she'd get free vouchers for OTB all the time. We'd meet a group there from time to time and it was a sad, depressing place ... with uber-shitty food.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:10 PM, Landomatic said:

In other Tex Mex news, stopped at Fernando’s Knox Henderson location last night and it was closed.  Looks like they’ve sold it or something.  Changing to El Vecino which has another location in East Dallas...

http://fernandostexmex.com/bignewsattravis/

Anyone been to the original El Vacino location?

Well, that lasted about a year.  We went there from time-to-time just because it was so close to the house.  But the food wasn't very good.  Just didn't really fit the area and other better Tex Mex choices nearby.  RIP in peace El Vecino Knox Henderson.

G1m3a9.png

• 2 months later...

Dropping in to say ya'll need to go try Emilio's Kitchen, new tex mex in Lake Highlands. Took the wife (no pics, heathens) and the boy and was actually impressed for once and I'm originally from SA so I know my shit.

The portions are huge, the "kid's" meal is enough to feed to grown man and the regular meals you'll end up taking some home. Usually the verde sauce on enchiladas is bland but I found mine to be awesomely tangy with just the right amount of salt. Only a couple beers on tap (Shiner and Miller i think), hopefully they'll expand their taps a bit. 

Prices were fair and worth it in the end considering you're essentially getting 1.5 meals for that price. 

http://www.emiliosmexican.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, Spoosner said:

Don't know that this is perfect thread, but don't think it's worth starting a new one.

Has anybody been to Te Deseo?  Reviews seem very mixed.

I haven’t been. Looking at brunch menu and had brisket hash or chilaquiles. If they execute either as good as sounds I will be there. 2 favorite breakfast with those. 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

So I came back from Oregon for my birthday and Christmas. Obviously I wanted good Mexican, and a place close to Love Field, so I chose Mia's since some of y'alls acclaims about it. The food was great, but the service was pretty lousy. 

Sounds like Mia's to me....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Sounds like Mia's to me....

Yep he was in the right place.  No doubt about it.

I remember one time I was there our waitress took so long to come back with my credit card that I was sure she had been gone stealing the information.  I’ve been suspicious of that before at other places from time to time, but this was the only time it was so bad that I’ve ever felt I needed to document it so when it got stolen, I had record of it.  I got a manager, I got her information and his information and wrote all of it down and informed him that I would be turning them in if/when my credit card information was stolen.

It didn’t get stolen.  Not sure if that’s because of a false alarm on my part and it turned out she just decided to take a really really really long break after she took my card and before she returned it.  Or, if my reaction is what stopped it from being stolen because they knew they would have been fucked if they went through with it.  I’m guessing the latter.

Either way, my reaction was warranted.  You don’t just disappear for that long with someone’s credit card.

anyway csb

Yeah, their service has always been pretty shitty.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, workswithseed said:

So I came back from Oregon for my birthday and Christmas. Obviously I wanted good Mexican, and a place close to Love Field, so I chose Mia's since some of y'alls acclaims about it. The food was great, but the service was pretty lousy. 

For future reference Avila's is probably closer to Love Field and is fantastic. In fact I like it better than Mia's. You could also go to Rafa's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 12:34 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Anybody been to Las Palmas in Uptown before? Gonna try it this weekend. Not expecting much. 

How was it @Jive Turkey? Had to re-route my drive home this past week because the stretch of Cedar Springs that went by Concrete Cowboy and Clutch was closed to through traffic and went by Las Palmas. Wondering if I need to check it out.

It's not bad.  Not the best Tex Mex you'll have, but it's ok.  I've been twice, and the second time was better.  So they're stepping up their game.  Made some improvements.  My main concern is that the place won't last long.  That location is a death trap.  First time I went, place was damn near empty.  I went back a few months after that, and business had definitely picked up.  I don't ever go out of my way to go there, but if friends suggest it or if I'm in the neighborhood and want Tex Mex, it's fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't bother with Desert Racer on Greenville. First, you essentially HAVE to valet your vehicle. Not necessarily a problem but it made being told the wait of an hour to an hour and 15 mins turning around and leaving an ordeal. I wish I had. 

We wait an hour and politely check on our status with the hostess when no patrons were at the stand and she now tells us it can fall within the time she told me of an hour and a half. Except that wasn't what she told me as I stated above. Waited 1 hour and 40 mins and watched several people who were put on the list after us with similar table sizes get seated before us. The manager and I had words and we were finally seated.  

The queso fundido was good. I got the pork al pastor tacos which were okay. Tried  some of my son's chicken enchiladas he couldn't finish and they were serviceable, but would have been run out of town of it were in San Antonio. 

An app, three entrees and a beer cost $90 after tip which is insane. That doesn't take into account the couple beers I had and two frou frou drinks my wife had at the bar while we waited. Tex mex should never be that fucking expensive, and had I been able to find a menu with prices online I probably wouldn't have gone. 

The atmosphere and decor was very cool actually but the music being pumped in at night club level volume shut the door on a pretty disappointing evening. 

13 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Don't bother with Desert Racer on Greenville. First, you essentially HAVE to valet your vehicle. Not necessarily a problem but it made being told the wait of an hour to an hour and 15 mins turning around and leaving an ordeal. I wish I had. 

We wait an hour and politely check on our status with the hostess when no patrons were at the stand and she now tells us it can fall within the time she told me of an hour and a half. Except that wasn't what she told me as I stated above. Waited 1 hour and 40 mins and watched several people who were put on the list after us with similar table sizes get seated before us. The manager and I had words and we were finally seated.  

The queso fundido was good. I got the pork al pastor tacos which were okay. Tried  some of my son's chicken enchiladas he couldn't finish and they were serviceable, but would have been run out of town of it were in San Antonio. 

An app, three entrees and a beer cost $90 after tip which is insane. That doesn't take into account the couple beers I had and two frou frou drinks my wife had at the bar while we waited. Tex mex should never be that fucking expensive, and had I been able to find a menu with prices online I probably wouldn't have gone. 

The atmosphere and decor was very cool actually but the music being pumped in at night club level volume shut the door on a pretty disappointing evening. 

That sucks.  I live very close, so had high hopes.  Did you notice if they had a happy hour of any sort?  I googled, but nothing came up and their website is worthless.

7 hours ago, Spoosner said:

That sucks.  I live very close, so had high hopes.  Did you notice if they had a happy hour of any sort?  I googled, but nothing came up and their website is worthless.

I didn't notice, I was too busy raging in my own misfortune to look. For the scene alone I might go back during a brunch/hh in the middle of the week if that happens but it seems like a shit show during any sort of regular eating hours. I can all but guarantee I won't be back for dinner. 

As a follow up, their parking lot is only one car wide so cars leaving and cars entering share the same lane and you have to wait in the road until the valets make enough space to weasel in or out before getting t-boned. 

On 2/21/2020 at 11:09 PM, TankedBevo said:

Tried  some of my son's chicken enchiladas he couldn't finish and they were serviceable...

How old is your kid?  Assuming under 21?  Or probably under 18?  Or more likely, based on his order, under 12?

Assuming that’s the case (and I’m sure I’m right), maybe don’t try taking a little kid to a grownup place on Greenville?

And anyone who bitches about “having to valet” at one of the newest, coolest hotspots in town...instant disregard for your review.

Gimme a fucking break.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

How old is your kid?  Assuming under 21?  Or probably under 18?  Or more likely, based on his order, under 12?

Assuming that’s the case (and I’m sure I’m right), maybe don’t try taking a little kid to a grownup place on Greenville?

And anyone who bitches about “having to valet” at one of the newest, coolest hotspots in town...instant disregard for your review.

Gimme a fucking break.

I guess you missed the part where I said it wasn't necessarily a problem but ran into problems because of it. Or the part where the website was shit so who's to know beforehand that this is a supposed "grown up" place? 

Had they had any sort of proper seating flow or just wouldn't have straight up lied to my face about how long it was going to be then it could have been avoided. 

So, in short, fuck right off. 

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I guess you missed the part where I said it wasn't necessarily a problem but ran into problems because of it. Or the part where the website was shit so who's to know beforehand that this is a supposed "grown up" place? 

Had they had any sort of proper seating flow or just wouldn't have straight up lied to my face about how long it was going to be then it could have been avoided. 

So, in short, fuck right off.

Huh...one of the newest, coolest, hardest to get into places in town (simple google search beforehand would easily tell you that)?  On Greenville (simple directions would tell you that)?  Maybe not a kid place?  I don’t know, maybe I’m just self-aware enough to be able to add 1 plus 1?

And as far as their website sucking and not having enough info for you...again, welcome to new cool places in town, pal.  Get used to it.  Or stick with the chains in the burbs.  Sounds like they have everything you and your family are looking for.

Nothing wrong with that AT ALL, but it’s guys like you who fuck up the whole review system.

30 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Huh...one of the newest, coolest, hardest to get into places in town (simple google search beforehand would easily tell you that)?  On Greenville (simple directions would tell you that)?  Maybe not a kid place?  I don’t know, maybe I’m just self-aware enough to be able to add 1 plus 1?

And as far as their website sucking and not having enough info for you...again, welcome to new cool places in town, pal.  Get used to it.  Or stick with the chains in the burbs.  Sounds like they have everything you and your family are looking for.

Nothing wrong with that AT ALL, but it’s guys like you who fuck up the whole review system.

Guess what my man, shitty service and terrible accommodations are abundant regardless of where restaurants are located or who I have with me. I've been to a dozen places on Greenville that had neither of those, with my family, and had great experiences. This happens to not be one of them which sucks because I was looking forward to it. I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make, other than going to bat for a place that allowed all of the shit I described to unfold, while not providing an above average meal to make it worth the hassle. You could go and everything could be awesome and that's fine with me, but what I wrote still happened and I offered a heads up to anyone who might be thinking about going there and can take it or leave it. You sound like you have more than a patrons interest

PS, Google searches only go so far and are throttled with fake reviews and ratings constantly, which is why I wanted to check it out for myself. Again, this was my experience, so take it or leave it. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Guess what my man, shitty service and terrible accommodations are abundant regardless of where restaurants are located or who I have with me. I've been to a dozen places on Greenville that had neither of those, with my family, and had great experiences. This happens to not be one of them which sucks because I was looking forward to it. I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make, other than going to bat for a place that allowed all of the shit I described to unfold, while not providing an above average meal to make it worth the hassle. You could go and everything could be awesome and that's fine with me, but what I wrote still happened and I offered a heads up to anyone who might be thinking about going there and can take it or leave it. You sound like you have more than a patrons interest

PS, Google searches only go so far and are throttled with fake reviews and ratings constantly, which is why I wanted to check it out for myself. Again, this was my experience, so take it or leave it. 

Next up...@TankedBevo takes his kid to Drake’s and bitches about it.  Everyone stay tuned for his riveting review. 🙄

13 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Excellent rebuttal. Feel free to fuck off and put me on ignore if you're so goddamn butt-hurt about a review you don't agree with. 

To be clear, it wasn't that I don't agree with your review.  It was much more the context of the review.  I have zero vested interest in Desert Racer.  I've never been there and don't intend to go anytime soon.  In fact, if anything, I'm probably not nearly as big a fan of some Nick Badovinus' concepts as a lot of people are (not a big Town Hearth fan, for example).  I just don't agree with someone taking a kid to a really popular grownup spot then running to the internet to bitch about their experience.  I think a little bit of homework would have told you all the things you're bitching about, or at least you could/should have seen some of it coming.  I think it's shitty to any restaurant to go on the internet and tell people not to go somewhere, when your experience may have had more to do with you than the place.

Lando seems a little salty lately, you alright, friendo?

That said, it is pretty clear that Desert Racer is kind of the new trendatorium and probably not where you go for a laid back family evening.

I avoid those places like the plague, generally, but keep an eye on the foodie threads for the ones that have some staying power and check them out when things settle down.  And we don't even have kids.

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lando seems a little salty lately, you alright, friendo?

That said, it is pretty clear that Desert Racer is kind of the new trendatorium and probably not where you go for a laid back family evening.

I avoid those places like the plague, generally, but keep an eye on the foodie threads for the ones that have some staying power and check them out when things settle down.  And we don't even have kids.

Sorry don’t mean to get ragey.  I’m good, as far as I know, but thanks for checkin!

Probably should take it to the “Trivial Things that Make You Surly” thread, I guess...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

To be clear, it wasn't that I don't agree with your review.  It was much more the context of the review.  I have zero vested interest in Desert Racer.  I've never been there and don't intend to go anytime soon.  In fact, if anything, I'm probably not nearly as big a fan of some Nick Badovinus' concepts as a lot of people are (not a big Town Hearth fan, for example).  I just don't agree with someone taking a kid to a really popular grownup spot then running to the internet to bitch about their experience.  I think a little bit of homework would have told you all the things you're bitching about, or at least you could/should have seen some of it coming.  I think it's shitty to any restaurant to go on the internet and tell people not to go somewhere, when your experience may have had more to do with you than the place.

Except it didn't, as clearly laid out to you,  but you seem to be on some weird crusade to go to bat for this place. I worked as a restaurant manager for 5 years and give way more leeway when it comes to places before I'll actually get upset about something, because I know how it can be sometimes. Like I said, it wasn't even necessarily the wait time but mostly the smart assed hostess that bloated the ETA for our table as if I wouldn't notice, then copped an attitude is if I was the one lying, then ending up taking even more time then the bloated time she had already given me. The one lane entry into and out of the parking lot is a fact that literally no one would know about until they got there themselves, and I wasn't even complaining about that, just merely giving people a heads up. 

It's entirely possible to enjoy yourself at numerous places on Greenville and we have plenty of times, so you can take your whole "you shouldn't ever go anywhere with your family" narrative and kiss my ass. The place is fucking Tex Mex (average at that) with motorcycles and shit just hanging out in the restaurant, so I'm not getting where you're supposed to discern that it wouldn't be kid friendly. Hell, I don't even need it to be kid friendly, my guy was chilling doodling on some paper and playing games on my phone while we sat there for an hour and forty minutes and had some drinks. Not to mention, there were about a dozen kids the at the restaurant aging from infant to grade school. 

I won't clutter this thread up any more than it has, so if you want to continue your strange tirade that still doesn't make much sense please feel free to PM me. Or don't, I don't give a shit.  

11 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Except it didn't, as clearly laid out to you,  but you seem to be on some weird crusade to go to bat for this place. I worked as a restaurant manager for 5 years and give way more leeway when it comes to places before I'll actually get upset about something, because I know how it can be sometimes. Like I said, it wasn't even necessarily the wait time but mostly the smart assed hostess that bloated the ETA for our table as if I wouldn't notice, then copped an attitude is if I was the one lying, then ending up taking even more time then the bloated time she had already given me. The one lane entry into and out of the parking lot is a fact that literally no one would know about until they got there themselves, and I wasn't even complaining about that, just merely giving people a heads up. 

It's entirely possible to enjoy yourself at numerous places on Greenville and we have plenty of times, so you can take your whole "you shouldn't ever go anywhere with your family" narrative and kiss my ass. The place is fucking Tex Mex (average at that) with motorcycles and shit just hanging out in the restaurant, so I'm not getting where you're supposed to discern that it wouldn't be kid friendly. Hell, I don't even need it to be kid friendly, my guy was chilling doodling on some paper and playing games on my phone while we sat there for an hour and forty minutes and had some drinks. Not to mention, there were about a dozen kids the at the restaurant aging from infant to grade school. 

I won't clutter this thread up any more than it has, so if you want to continue your strange tirade that still doesn't make much sense please feel free to PM me. Or don't, I don't give a shit.  

Agree to disagree I guess.  @TwiceHorn said it better than me.  That place is impossible to get into right now and that’s been pretty well documented all over the internet.  For you to expect otherwise is on you.  Doesn’t excuse a shitty attitude from the hostess, but your original post sure seemed to have more issues with the place than just that.

26 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Agree to disagree I guess.  @TwiceHorn said it better than me.  That place is impossible to get into right now and that’s been pretty well documented all over the internet.  For you to expect otherwise is on you.  Doesn’t excuse a shitty attitude from the hostess, but your original post sure seemed to have more issues with the place than just that.

Fair enough, maybe I should have worded myself better from the jump. I did realize that there would be a wait which is why I was perfectly okay with waiting the original time I was told, but the rest of the night was hampered by how the seating situation was handled. The food (to me) wasn't spectacular enough to make up for it. I will say that the bar made an awesome drink for my wife that I got a sip of. I think it had hibiscus, jalapeno, tequila, soda and some deep dark red liquid that I can't remember. 

I mean we all know Lando is an asshole but I do have to side with him on one thing -- everything I've seen and heard about Desert Racer is that it's ridiculously crowded and if you aren't there right at 5, you're looking at wait times of nearly two hours for a table. Not knowing that going in is kind of on you. I'm not subjecting my kids to that kind of wait. At least adults can drink booze to pass the time.

If the food is less-than-special, that's not a great sign as the food is always good at Nick's places. We hooked with friends of ours yesterday for brunch at Nova and the couple went the day before. It doesn't sound like they were blown away by the experience either. She said there are like 20 different Ranch Waters on the menu. Sorry but Ranch Water is 100% agave tequila, fresh squeezed lime juice and Topo Chico (club soda if you don't have Topo).

BTW, isn't Desert Racer supposed to be more California/Baja Mexican rather than Tex-Mex? If it's straight Tex-Mex, I doubt I give it a shot any time soon since I can probably get better food at Avila's which is a whole hell of a lot closer to my place and less hassle getting in and out. But I always thought Desert Racer is intended to be a "night out" type place with people. I think they'll take reservations for parties greater than 8.