Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

Friends coming in with their kids from Chicago in a few weeks.  Want to get them out for some good Texmex and Margaritas.
Usual go to for company is Ojeda's, Chuy's or El Vecino, but, wondering if there is something different within striking distance of M-Streets/ Lakewood that would be good to check out? 
RIP- Matt's and Goose, not the best, but, always had a good time there too.
And, saw C-Man's rec for Gonzales in the Ticket thread--- can't believe I've never been there--- play golf at Keeton every now and then.  On my list now.

I’ve never been to Gonzales. Just came across my radar (I think).

Las Palmas in Uptown is terrific. I also like Mariano’s Hacienda Ranch or whatever it’s called over Lakewood/White Rock way. Also have E-Bar or Eddie’s on Greenville.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, LosIllini said:

Good call on Mariano's- haven't been there in awhile.  May do that, since it's close.  E-Bar is good too. 

Drive by Manny's Uptown Tex-Mex on Mockingbird / Abrams all the time, but, still haven't tried it.

Manny's is OK but I'd put it behind all of the ones I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, LosIllini said:

Friends coming in with their kids from Chicago in a few weeks.  Want to get them out for some good Texmex and Margaritas.

Usual go to for company is Ojeda's, Chuy's or El Vecino, but, wondering if there is something different within striking distance of M-Streets/ Lakewood that would be good to check out? 

And, saw C-Man's rec for Gonzales in the Ticket thread--- can't believe I've never been there--- play golf at Keeton every now and then.  On my list now.

E-Bar or Eddy’s both close by and very good (original owner of Primo’s). 

• 1 month later...

This thread is so Park cities' money elitist.

Need our Latino posters to tell us where to go west/south of the Trinity with a staff that doesn't speak much if any English. Particularly all the Central American joints.

El Ranchito on Jefferson is where I see all the cops and mail carriers at lunchtime and why I tried it. Delicious.

Which reminds me I need to try Lupita's on Ft Worth Ave as the lot is always packed with Latino contractor trucks at lunch time.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

The thread is TexMex. Not Oaxacan, or Sonoran or chihuahuan or yucatanian. Not Salvadoran, Peruvian, Bolivian, Guatemalan, or Honduran. All fine cuisines, start a thread for them on their own. And in 50 years they will be Americanized for the abundance of this country.

You realize TexMex is a cuisine developed by Mexicans. And still made by old timey Mexican American families. In Fort Worth Jesus BBQ serves great homestyle TexMex and fried chicken. It’s legit. No bbq since the old man died.

The thread is TexMex. Not Oaxacan, or Sonoran or chihuahuan or yucatanian. Not Salvadoran, Peruvian, Bolivian, Guatemalan, or Honduran. All fine cuisines, start a thread for them on their own. And in 50 years they will be Americanized for the abundance of this country.

You realize TexMex is a cuisine developed by Mexicans. And still made by old timey Mexican American families. In Fort Worth Jesus BBQ serves great homestyle TexMex and fried chicken. It’s legit. No bbq since the old man died.

In a city with so much Latin cuisine you’re clinging to gringo-ed up version? You’re missing out.

This thread is so Park cities' money elitist.
Need our Latino posters to tell us where to go west/south of the Trinity with a staff that doesn't speak much if any English. Particularly all the Central American joints.
El Ranchito on Jefferson is where I see all the cops and mail carriers at lunchtime and why I tried it. Delicious.
Which reminds me I need to try Lupita's on Ft Worth Ave as the lot is always packed with Latino contractor trucks at lunch time.

Prolly been said before.

Just go inside a Michoacana store. Get half a pound of barbacoa/carnitas/fajita meat (they have a little restaurant area where you can order by the pound) and get it to go. Get a medium tub of refried beans and one of yellow rice. You will pay for these at the cash registers not at the restaurant area.

There’s always store made salsas by the cash registers and also heaters with warm corn/flour tortillas.

Best tacos ever at home. Thank me later.

p.s. they also have plate meals you can get, little combos if you will…these you have to pay at the cash register before you order at the food counter (walk over to the restaurant area look at menu, decide what you want and tell the cashier you’re paying for whatever combo/plate you want), they’ll give you a receipt and you give that to the food counter lady which will then start making your plate).
  • Hook 'Em 2

Probably too late for this, but see my post above.

If you like entertaining at home with bomb taco options, my post above is the way to go.

You don't need to speak Spanish to make in and out of La Michocana. I haven't been in awhile but I loved their fajita marinada. I'd get it and bring it home to grill myself and accept all the compliments. That shit melts in your mouth. Now I've gone and bought a big jug of that red dust that they use to marinade and have used it a couple of times. I think they marinated in that dry rub and pineapple juice overnight, something along those line. And it's glorious.

Fajita marinada is still glorious.

What c man is talking about is you can go to the meat market area inside Michoacana and order that if you want to grill it yourself.

What I made reference to is the “restaurant” inside most if not all Michoacana stores, which would have the fajita ready to go, and can still buy by the pound. Look for one of the bigger stores to make sure they have plenty of food options.

Warning, some of those prices get pretty $$$ they know people will pay for that stuff.