Dallas | Tex Mex

Landomatic

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Definitely not cheap. Good place to be on expense account. 

Is Jose still doing well?  I heard it started strong then fell way off.  Someone told me a few months ago that it seemed like it was hanging by a thread and just a matter of time until it closes.  Fake news?

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Is Jose still doing well?  I heard it started strong then fell way off.  Someone told me a few months ago that it seemed like it was hanging by a thread and just a matter of time until it closes.  Fake news?

Pretty crowded when I was there mid-week,

On 1/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Frankie's was pretty good.  Another 8 in my book. I got my usual - fajitas.  I consider myself a fajita connoisseur.  Worked at a Mexican restaurant for 8 years putting my wife through college, returning, and get my ED degree.  One thing I don't like is when the meat is sliced too thick.  Yes, I know I can cut it into smaller pieces but, in doing so, the flavor can get lost.  (I'm entirely unsure if that makes sense to anyone but me.)  I also like for the onions to carmelize on the skillet.  I also like for the shrimp to be seared; not broiled.

The aforementioned Knoxville place had a fajita-type dish that was served in a very large molcajete made out of lava rock.  Had the usual chx, steak, shrimp, etc..  It also had the best chorizo I've ever had.  I've yet to find anything close to how good this was.  I've heard there's a place in Richardson that may have something similar???

(Note: My initial review is entirely based on the fajitas.  Everything else I tasted was really good.)

Carne asada is the way to go at Frankie’s vs their fajitas. They seem to cook it better that way and then you slice yourself to your desired thickness.

Frankies is a weird Dallas suburb chain. It’s also known as Amigos (Beltline Richardson) and Casa Mama (many locations as well). They all have the exact same menu and food quality.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 5:07 PM, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I heard it wasn't doing great either but I pass by a lot and it seems like it's pretty crowded quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, mdmost said:

You're welcome to throw out all the impressive places you visited in your 25 years  go elsewhere for your sports talk  Tex Mex in Dallas.

i got nothing to add.  I only go pick up food from Glorias, Mi Cocina, Meso Maya and occasionally Matts to challenge myself to see how quickly i can down a frozen marg (or three) before the food arrives.  also, you could probably use those places to triangulate the location of our house.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

went to Tupinamba's the other day for the first time.  i liked it.  guiso was good, loved the homemade flour tortillas.  rice and beans were ok.  they have a Bob Armstrong knock-off called the Shelby Metcalf.  first hint there that this was an aggy restaurant.  it was fine but not better than Bob.  i'll go back.

i also recently went to Gabriela & Sofia's, which is a little further north.  it's at Meadow and 75, on the west side, in the big strip mall with the Tom Thumb.  that was solid.  i've been there a few times.  great chips and salsa.  everything i've had has been good.

http://gabriela-sofias.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gabriela-and-sofias-tex-mex-dallas

• Like 1

Sunday morning went for some menudo to Mis Cazuelas. It has been awhile since I have been there but still damn good.In the hood but you should check it out at munger and columbia

Do you go to the original or the one just south of Baylor Hospital?

I’ve driven by both for 20 years but never gone in.

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

went to Tupinamba's the other day for the first time.  i liked it.  guiso was good, loved the homemade flour tortillas.  rice and beans were ok.  they have a Bob Armstrong knock-off called the Shelby Metcalf.  first hint there that this was an aggy restaurant.  it was fine but not better than Bob.  i'll go back.

i also recently went to Gabriela & Sofia's, which is a little further north.  it's at Meadow and 75, on the west side, in the big strip mall with the Tom Thumb.  that was solid.  i've been there a few times.  great chips and salsa.  everything i've had has been good.

Tupy tacos are bomb. Like the best Jack in the Box tacos ever. 

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I live within walking distance of Gabriela Y Sofias, it's always solid and pretty cheap too.

Anyone a La Ventana fan? Their happy hour is pretty bomb - $2.50 margs and they do a good michelada. Not really traditional Tex mex but they do good quesadillas and burritos for $6 and have a lot of meat options for the street style tacos.

You can get a nice buzz going and eat pretty good for $15. 

Basically a better version of Rusty Taco with better ambience.

Edited by ztejas

28 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don't like the food much but go pretty often for happy hour with school people, because yea it's cheap as fuck. Theres worse things to eat after a few drinks.

Yeah basically my take as well. Kind of hard to fuck up a brisket quesadilla or carnitas burrito.

And the margs are on point for the price.

Btw - what does school people mean? Are you a student somewhere or teacher?

Edited by ztejas

Hank_Hill after 2 drinks

I have an M.D. from Harvard UTSW, I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England Texas, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trama from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, Dennis, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:07 PM, Landomatic said:

I was there Thursday evening and it was not crowded at all.  The bar was about a third full and tables seemed to be easy to come by.  I saw where they got a new chef recently I suppose to shoot some life into it.  I really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere is good.  Well except for the fact I got stung by a bee on the patio, not sure if that was part of the intended experience or not.

• Like 1

I love E bar and completely agree on too crowded now. Miss the days when no one knew where it was

Last time i went i was told they were about to open up the rest of the first floor for more seating.

We’ll see.

As for Uptown Primo’s, towards the end it became ground zero for douchey Dallas.

The uniform was new blue jeans and an untucked dress shirt.

I love E bar and completely agree on too crowded now. Miss the days when no one knew where it was

Last time i went i was told they were about to open up the rest of the first floor for more seating.

We’ll see.

As for Uptown Primo’s, towards the end it became ground zero for douchey Dallas.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

We’ll see.

Sean Salisbury used to hang out in there. Oughta tell you enough.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Stupid question but recall, I've on been back in DFW since last summer.

Is the Primo's your referencing connected in any way to the Primo's on I-30 @ Lake Ray Hubbard?

Yes. Can't remember if that was a second location or where it "moved" to after leaving McKinney Ave.

What was the special on Tuesday night? Seems like that was always the night to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Sean Salisbury used to hang out in there. Oughta tell you enough.

Yes. Can't remember if that was a second location or where it "moved" to after leaving McKinney Ave.

What was the special on Tuesday night? Seems like that was always the night to go.

The original owner of Primo's sold out several years back and opened E Bar (I think after a non-compete expired).  Current owner (or maybe even a subsequent one?) ran the original on McKinney and opened a couple other locations (similar to what happened with Snuffers).  I think there was one up north in Frisco or somewhere as well as the one on I-30.  The original location shut down 4 or 5 years ago, and I think the space got split up after the subsequent tenant went under.  

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Interesting.  We eat at Primo's all the time, but I never found it particularly exquisite.  It's just convenient because it's halfway between my house and my parents' house.  Alejandro's, just on the other side of the lake (Dalrock) is much better IMO.

The food was never spectacular but it wasn't bad. The atmosphere -- at one time, anyway -- was phenomenal. I loved sitting on the patio on a nice weekday night.

• Like 1

Just now, C-Man said:

The food was never spectacular but it wasn't bad. The atmosphere -- at one time, anyway -- was phenomenal. I loved sitting on the patio on a nice weekday night.

Back in the late 80's the food was pretty damned good.  It was a favorite among the service industry.  You'd regularly see Dean Fearing in there on Monday nights along with many other big (and not big) chefs from around town.  

The Jorge's Tacos (a long time menu item at Primo's and now E Bar) are still one of my favorite dishes at any Tex-Mex place anywhere.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Agree.  That's what kind of drew us to the location - patio on the lake.  I will say, a couple of the waitresses are absolutely phenomenal, so that's cool.

Also, if y'all ever end up at Alejandro's.  Ask for Ayana.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Agree.  That's what kind of drew us to the location - patio on the lake.  I will say, a couple of the waitresses are absolutely phenomenal, so that's cool.

Also, if y'all ever end up at Alejandro's.  Ask for Ayana.

I'm speaking of the McKinney location patio. Never went to the one on Lake Ray Hubbard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to Miriam's across from Clyde Warren for lunch yesterday and happy to report it was fantastic.  Best Mole" sauce in Dallas in my opinion.  It's decidedly Latin more then TexMex with some influences of MiCo and Mesero for sure.  Great service.  I never seen employees at a restaurant work as hard as these did.  Very impressive.  Will go back for sure

2 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Went to Miriam's across from Clyde Warren for lunch yesterday and happy to report it was fantastic.  Best Mole" sauce in Dallas in my opinion.  It's decidedly Latin more then TexMex with some influences of MiCo and Mesero for sure.  Great service.  I never seen employees at a restaurant work as hard as these did.  Very impressive.  Will go back for sure

*than

*I’ve

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Assuming that's in the old Lark spot?

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

although i grew up here i didn't learn about Mia's on Lemmon until 20 years ago thanks to maxhorn.  best brisket tacos evar.

up north i remain partial to mi cocina.

Too funny - I work within walking distance of Mia's but have never been so was going to ask y'alls opinion on this one. 

Can't say I'm partial to MiCo, though. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Too funny - I work within walking distance of Mia's but have never been so was going to ask y'alls opinion on this one. 

Can't say I'm partial to MiCo, though. 

Mia's is a Dallas institution. You should definitely go. You probably know this but this is the spot where the infamous photo was taken of Jerry and Jimmy the night before Jerry fired Tom Landry. Pretty sure Mi Cocina sprung out of the Mia's family.

• Like 1