New Tool Album: They really mean it this time. Maybe.

ConferenceRoom

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, disgustipated said:

nice to hear actual new music and it sounds great,  however as much as i hate to say it i hear some recycling. 

Yeah definitely sounded like a mix of sounds from the last 2 albums. Not complaining tho

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Not a fan of Right In Two?!?

It's fine. I don't really listen to individual songs. I like the album experience and listen from beginning to end.  For me, 10,000 Days never held up beginning to end like the other releases.  I probably haven't listened to it in a decade.

Jambi, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned are absolute bangers and Wings for Marie carries some emotional heft (despite being the umpteenth song about MJK’s mom). Vicarious is a pretty good radio friendly track. Right In Two is good, but the end is a little too reminiscent of 46 & 2 for me.

34 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m sure I’ve nearly blown my speakers when it kicks in in the middle of Right In Two.

I get not ranking it as high as others, but even if it’s their 5th best album, it’s still in my top 20!

The last 3-4 minutes of that song are genius, IMO.  I'll often play "try and find the beat" when the riff around 6:45 kicks in... still haven't found it.  But when Danny rolls back in time w/ Adam, it's total eargasm.  I don't know shit about time signatures, but I can't imagine that the drums and guitar are playing in the same one during that part of the song.

I threw the album on for my lunch bike ride and really listened to Rosetta Stoned for the first time in a while. It used to piss me off because of the recycled riffs, rhythms, tones, etc. but now it sounds like it’s own song to me. Funny how that changes over time.

And “...but I forgot my pen!” is still a great punchline

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 9:13 PM, housious said:

I don’t hear any 10000 days in it. Sounds much more like Lateralus, which is an excellent thing.

It just fucking blew my mind that Lateralus came out when I was in college.  And that was two albums ago.  This fuckin band.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tool just posted something to iTunes. EP called 72826 w old songs

“They initially released a demo EP in 1991 called 72826. Although demos are typically intended only for record labels, the band was so pleased with theirs that they sold copies to their fans. Tool signed to Zoo Entertainment just three months into their career, and released their first studio EP, Opiate, in March 1992.”

https://twitter.com/toolpusciferapc/status/1149810634726375424?s=21

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, Lurch said:

My Ænima CD is scratched.  I’ve been listening to a skipping version of 3rd Eye for like 20 years.  Pretty juiced about downloading it from iTunes.

/old guy

I don't think Tool sells their shit on many digital platforms. I have to use mp3 to add them and King Crimson to my Spotify, then connect to the same wifi for other devices to download the playlist to each local device.

They want people to listen to entire albums rather than just 1 song popping up on Pandora randomly or what not.