New Tool Album: They really mean it this time. Maybe.

ConferenceRoom

44 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Interesting. 

I guess my only concern would be getting to/from there. I have that same qualm with COTA. 

Where do you live? CPC is a straight shot up 183 and has multiple ingress/egress points. COTA is in the middle of nowhere and is impossible to get out of when the show is over. They aren't alike at all. 

25 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Where do you live? CPC is a straight shot up 183 and has multiple ingress/egress points. COTA is in the middle of nowhere and is impossible to get out of when the show is over. They aren't alike at all. 

Um, where do you live?

It's a pain in the ass taking an uber/lyft to those venues vs. downtown 

Gave Spotify's new music playlist a chance last week and it started playing 7empest during my workout. I was hooked immediately. I only know the Tool singles they played on rock radio, never considered even listening more, but this album is amazing. 

Sent it to a buddy with the description that it's sick workout music and he hasn't stopped talking about how great it is for 2 days too...

• Like 1

I got a pair of tickets for San Antonio.  Got in the queue when it opened at 9:45 and was 2,000+ in line. Took about 4 minutes to work through the line and there were plenty of seats at that point. Got section 101 for $125 a seat.

The fuck, I went into the waiting room at 0955 and had a two minute wait and got tickets in F1.

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I got a pair of tickets for San Antonio.  Got in the queue when it opened at 9:45 and was 2,000+ in line. Took about 4 minutes to work through the line and there were plenty of seats at that point. Got section 101 for $125 a seat.

I will offer you the princely sum of $128 a piece for 2 

Last time I saw Tool was 2016 on this tour:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2016/infinite-energy-arena-duluth-ga-1bf3fdec.html

And I said afterward that I didn’t think I wanted to see them again. They were a little rough (for Tool) and Maynard’s voice isn’t all there any more.

Then they dropped this album. But at this point they aren’t coming to Atlanta.

• Like 1

The first time I saw Tool was in 2009 at ATT. Lateralus was a big disappointment because they had apparently held a contest to have a guest drummer come out on stage during the song and it really messed up the flow. Still a pretty good show. Cedar Park in 2014 was way better - had floor seats and it felt intimate. They sounded great. That was the day Dave Brockie died.

Finally got around to listening to the new Tool album. I had honestly been waiting for a bit because i was sincerely hoping it wouldn't suck. So here's the review no one asked for:

This was the best 'A Perfect Circle' album to date. It was at times as edgy as a butter knife; other times as coarse as 200 grit. There were several instances where i caught my head bobbing a bit. When it ended i checked my phone to make sure that was correct, because there was no way that was all they gave us. 

It was everything i hoped it wouldn't be. There's a part of me that prays this a prelude to something actually awesome. Im not getting my hopes up. 

In the meantime im cleansing my soul with "Undertow" and taking solace in the fact that this album somehow knocked Taylor Swift out of the number one spot on the charts. Silver linings and such

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

They aren’t the same people they were during Undertow. Neither are we. I embrace the evolution.

And if we’re talking first Tool shows, mine was this one for $10:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/1994/the-masquerade-atlanta-ga-63d96a5b.html

One of my favorite shows ever. I got kicked so hard in the mosh pit that I couldn’t turn my head to the right for a day.

This probably isn't news to anyone here, but the Twitter Taylor Swift vs. Tool fan cripple fight is the dumbest thing I've seen all week, and that's including the Tiger biting on CTJ's "mudhole" post.

In this corner, wearing the gold shorts with sequins, you have the hardcore Swift fans, who have put so much faith into album sales that they're in a permanent state of butthurt over this, and think that "Who is Tool?" is somehow a legit comeback.

In the other corner, wearing the black shorts with even blacker highlights, you have the hardcore Tool fans who think they're not just God's gift to Metal, but the greatest songwriters alive.

look

Taylor Swift is fine, but she's commercial, and she's not going to be great art at any point because the corporate overlords running her show are never going to let her do anything that might risk sales.

Tool is an excellent band that has some great experiments, but experiments can fall flat at times, and simply playing the same riff for ten minutes isn't deep or trance-like as much as a flaw in their own songwriting.

And while the world really needs a band like Tool to come around and wake corporate pop out of its shell, this album isn't going to do that. It will be, like in many other examples from the past, a one-shot given great sales by older fans who are, in the long run, irrelevant to the balance sheets and bean counters.

The only way to unseat the current regime is for a youth movement, a new band, that takes over the top sales, and reflects the kinds of clever songwriting we used to encounter in e.g. the mid-90s and early 80s.

What this CAN do is expose a generation of young musicians to the idea that pop success can happen while remaining true to yourself, that odd chords and time signatures can really make music better, and then so inspired start that new movement.

Edited by Rimbo

On 9/7/2019 at 2:46 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Finally got around to listening to the new Tool album. I had honestly been waiting for a bit because i was sincerely hoping it wouldn't suck. So here's the review no one asked for:

This was the best 'A Perfect Circle' album to date. It was at times as edgy as a butter knife; other times as coarse as 200 grit. There were several instances where i caught my head bobbing a bit. When it ended i checked my phone to make sure that was correct, because there was no way that was all they gave us. 

It was everything i hoped it wouldn't be. There's a part of me that prays this a prelude to something actually awesome. Im not getting my hopes up. 

In the meantime im cleansing my soul with "Undertow" and taking solace in the fact that this album somehow knocked Taylor Swift out of the number one spot on the charts. Silver linings and such

Tool of the Undertow days is never coming back. In fact, it's been gone for decades. I'm just glad they put out an album I enjoy while in their mid 50's. 

• Like 1