New Tool Album: They really mean it this time. Maybe.

ConferenceRoom

On 9/7/2019 at 2:46 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Finally got around to listening to the new Tool album. I had honestly been waiting for a bit because i was sincerely hoping it wouldn't suck. So here's the review no one asked for:

This was the best 'A Perfect Circle' album to date. It was at times as edgy as a butter knife; other times as coarse as 200 grit. There were several instances where i caught my head bobbing a bit. When it ended i checked my phone to make sure that was correct, because there was no way that was all they gave us. 

It was everything i hoped it wouldn't be. There's a part of me that prays this a prelude to something actually awesome. Im not getting my hopes up. 

In the meantime im cleansing my soul with "Undertow" and taking solace in the fact that this album somehow knocked Taylor Swift out of the number one spot on the charts. Silver linings and such

Just curious, do you like Lateralus and/or 10,000 Days? I feel like Fear Inoculum is just the next step down the road that started with Third Eye at the end of Aenima. I think both those albums are great (Lateralus more so than 10,000 Days, but I love them both), and Fear Inoculum is them diving into the deep end of Prog Metal.

If you think Undertow is their best album and you want that sound from Tool, then that's totally fine, but I don't think you'll ever get that again from them.

8 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Just curious, do you like Lateralus and/or 10,000 Days? I feel like Fear Inoculum is just the next step down the road that started with Third Eye at the end of Aenima. I think both those albums are great (Lateralus more so than 10,000 Days, but I love them both), and Fear Inoculum is them diving into the deep end of Prog Metal.

If you think Undertow is their best album and you want that sound from Tool, then that's totally fine, but I don't think you'll ever get that again from them.

Aenima is by far my favorite. Yes, I liked Lateralus quite a bit, but 10,000 Days is where I started losing interest. I was hoping maybe that was temporary deviation from the pinnacle they achieved with the progression of Undertow, Aenima, and then Lateralus. It was apparently not.

FWIW, I listen to a lot of other rock and metal bands that are older than these guys and many are equally heavy, if not heavier, than they were earlier in their career. I kinda call bullshit on them mellowing out because of age. It's lazy, to me.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

I went back and skimmed the catalog, and I think the biggest transformation across all the albums is Maynard’s singing. There’s not a Hooker with a Penis or a Ticks & Leeches on 10K Days (although Rosetta Stoned is close) and there’s nothing like that on Fear Inoculum. So maybe that lends to a lighter feel. But the drums and riffs are pretty consistently heavy across all albums.

• 2 weeks later...

Waaaay late to this thread. Fucking love the new album.

Descending. On repeat. But daily I bounce around with pneuma, 7empest, and invincible. 

Seeing them live in San Antonio in a few weeks. Can’t fucking wait. For whatever reason I’ve never seen them live. Favorite band of all time for me. As a shitty bass player, I’m excited to see Chancellor get after it on stage. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Show last night was awesome. They played for about 1:45 straight, then just left the stage for a 12 minute intermission (had a countdown timer with the laser lights). When they came back Danny Carey played Chocolate Chip Trip and then the rest of the band rejoined for three more songs. All in they played for about 2:15.

They started out with Fear Inoculum, then Aenema, The Pot, Parabol/Parabola, before playing Pneuma. The only other song they played from the new album was Invincible. Others I remember them playing were Vicarious, Schism, 46&2, Jambi, and they closed with Stinkfist. I know there are a few songs I'm forgetting.

My only complaint was the sound mix, the bass was too high and vocals too low. There were a few songs that it took me awhile to realize what they were because the bass was drowning out the guitar and vocals. Otherwise, it was a great show and the crowd was really into it.

Here are a couple pics during Stinkfist

20191016-113914.jpg

20191015-225117.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That was fantastic.

I wasn’t in the Invincible camp for best song on FI but after the live performance I may be. Just ridiculously good.

Yep. FI and Invincible were awesome last night. Would love to ha e seen Descending too, but it was a great show.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, CooterBrown said:

That was fantastic.

I wasn’t in the Invincible camp for best song on FI but after the live performance I may be. Just ridiculously good.

I said the same thing to my brother after the show. 

holy fuck that was an amazing show. Loved every second of it. Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to see them. 

46 and 2 was my favorite. Slightly biased because it’s my favorite to play on bass 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:33 AM, hornfan785 said:

Great show! I do wish the little curtain thing had only been closed for the first song, though. Maynard sounded great, especially during Intolerance. The guys looked like they were having fun up there.

I haven't seen Maynard have that much fun on stage. That was a kick ass show, indeed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dates added including Austin and Dallas. Tickets on sale Friday.

January 10  San Diego, CA  Viejas Arena
January 12  San Diego, CA  Viejas Arena
January 15  Fresno, CA  Save Mart Center
January 17  Las Vegas, NV  T-Mobile Arena
January 18  Glendale, AZ  Gila River Arena
January 21  Austin, TX  Frank Erwin Center
January 22  Dallas, TX  American Airlines Center
January 28  Atlanta, GA  State Farm Arena
January 29  Nashville, TN  Bridgestone Arena
January 31  Memphis, TN  FedEx Forum
February 1  New Orleans, LA  Smoothie King Center

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Last time I saw them I decided I never wanted to see them again because Maynard has lost so many steps. Has his voice gotten better? All the rave reviews in this thread have me rethinking.

Maynard was definitely on and not the normal hide in the back self visually and vocally!

Im definitely in for Erwin center! Has anyone bought tickets through their site before? Any tips?

11 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Maynard was definitely on and not the normal hide in the back self visually and vocally!

Im definitely in for Erwin center! Has anyone bought tickets through their site before? Any tips?

He was great, and damn near gregarious...for Maynard anyway.  He's damn funny when he feels like it.  Watch his appearance on JRE 

On 11/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, Buzzrock said:

Last time I saw them I decided I never wanted to see them again because Maynard has lost so many steps. Has his voice gotten better? All the rave reviews in this thread have me rethinking.

Kind of. He was better in SA than I’ve seen over the past few years but if you’re expecting anything close to what he was on the Lateralus tour you’ll be disappointed.