New Tool Album: They really mean it this time. Maybe.

ConferenceRoom

If I was a musician, I'd be all over this:

TOOL MUSIC CLINIC: A RARE IMMERSIVE DISSECTION AND PERFORMANCE WITH DANNY CAREY, JUSTIN CHANCELLOR AND ADAM JONES

A SERIES OF INTIMATE DISCUSSIONS TAKE FANS BEHIND-THE-SCENES INTO THE INNER WORKINGS OF ONE OF ROCK MUSIC’S MOST MYSTERIOUS BANDS

April 9, 2018, LOS ANGELES – Tool, one of rock music’s most mysterious and speculated about bands, give fans a rare glimpse behind-the-scenes via a series of intimate music clinics.

The discussions include drummer Danny Carey, bass player Justin Chancellor and guitar player Adam Jones walking attendees through a handful of the band’s songs, from the process of writing them to playing them live. Audience members are encouraged to ask questions via an open discussion, as well as mingle with the band following the session.

Ticket holders will receive commemorative merchandise, exclusive to the series of events and limited to the number of people in attendance. An accompanying, traveling exhibit will be on display at each event, featuring unique items from Tool’s history.

May 11 St. Paul, MN Myth Live Event Center
May 14 Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre
May 15 Indianapolis, IN Egyptian Room at Old National
May 16 Royal Oak (Detroit), MI Royal Oak Music Theatre
May 17 Columbus, OH Express Live! Indoor Pavilion
May 19 Cleveland, OH Agora Theatre

Tickets are on-sale this Friday, April 13 at 10 am local via (links). A limited number of tickets have been set aside for Tool Army members, which will be available on Wednesday, April 11 at 10 am pacific via the band’s webstore http://www.toolband.com/store/music-clinics

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the limited number of tickets that will be available for the pre-sale, TOOL ARMY MEMBERS who are interested in attending the clinic are urged to act quickly (On WEDNESDAY, APRIL, 11 at 10:00 am PDT) to secure a spot for this unique Tool experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thread on /r/indieheads is... Interesting. In no way is rape amusing and it would be horrible if the accusations are true, but I'm a little shocked at how shocked the redditors are about an artist inviting girls back stage. You mean to tell me that this girl got hand picked from the audience, asked to go on the tour bus, and was surprised when Maynard pulled his dick out? And that Maynard picked out girls from every show? And that some of them were 19? For a music subreddit, they sure are naive about the music scene. Half of the guys who joined bands over the decades did it to get laid.

That being said, I hope all of Maynard's encounters were consensual. His career spans two decades, a lot of alcohol, and a lot of drugs, so I'm sure things got sketchy on occasion. Just hope that it never got that sketchy.

have seen a lot about this over the last 24 hours. a taper who claims to have insider info posted a creepy defense of maynard in which he described in detail the process by which maynard chose his groupies:

It’s not true. OK, so I’m just another guy on the internet, but I’ve had the privilege of getting backstage on more than a few separate occasions for both Tool & APC. I am somewhat well known taper, been to 103 Tool shows, and 50+ APC shows, 20+ Pusicfer shows. I’ve got the passes to prove it, I was even given one of the Maynard harem passes because they were out of the standard ones. I also have had 2 female friends (age 20 & 23 at the time) pass muster and get to sleep with Maynard and have gotten all the details. One ended up being a repeat contact because she lived in LA and could participate with him there when off tour.
First off, there is and was no blonde heavy set woman who acted as his handler for this. Women do receive special passes, but they were handed out from his all male security staff.

2. The security staff checks IDs. If you are not of age, you do not get to go backstage. 17, though “legal” in some states, does not make the cut. Full stop.

3. Passes for Maynard are different than the normal backstage pass for the show. A couple examples I can think of (and one I own that I received personally when they were out of normal ones) has a [collage of women in KISS makeup sucking dick or other sexual acts.] (https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/-7 ... 531890.jpg) An APC one had a picture of Maynard in Roman garb that said “Have you serviced your gladiator today?” or something similar. There are no illusions about what you are there for.

4. All backstage people are brought backstage to 1 or 2 rooms. Sometimes the Maynard groupies are brought to a separate room. It’s never 1 woman alone. The smallest group I saw was 5 or 6 women, but could be up to 20. Maynard makes an appearance in the room, might make some chitchat, and then leaves. His security staff will then approach whichever 1 or 2 women that Maynard has selected for the night and tell them that Maynard would like them to come back to the bus or the hotel for the night.

5. Both experiences recounted to me, from two women who do not know each other, Maynard was caring, slow and gentle. There was no pressure. He is interested in anal as you would assume, but did not with the one because she never had. Again, no pressure. This act ended up happening later when she was one of his regulars in LA.

6. After the act, both women had nothing but good things to say about him and about the security staff (Making sure they were OK to leave the area and had some transportation as they left).

So you take those 2 accounts, and also what I saw happen in general with the process other times backstage, make the accusers account incredibly hard to believe. For the guy down below in the thread who’s girlfriend was weirded out for not letting her BF backstage with her, I hope you understand by now that Maynard does not and will not meet normal Tool fans. Never. Has he appeared at any of the Tool clinics? No. Has he ever appeared at any of the APC VIP events? No. I only met him once backstage and he was not thrilled with my concert total. Actually told me that I shouldn’t see them that many times. The meeting only happened because I was in with a group of family for another person on the crew. I haven’t been backstage since he’s been married, so I don’t know if his groupie whoring has continued. I don’t think he should be demonized for this behavior. Yeah it sucks that he doesn’t want to meet the casual fan to have them gush over his music, but it doesn’t make me want to listen to them less.

• 3 weeks later...

damn you google, I was very excited checking my feed this morning.

http://loudwire.com/google-alert-tool-new-album/

GOOGLE TOLD EVERYONE TOOL’S NEW ALBUM WAS OUT
GRAHAM HARTMANN July 16, 2018

Google gave Tool fans the shock of their lives this morning (July 16) by informing everyone the band's new album had been released. With a Google Alert, countless fans were sent into a frenzy, only to realize it wasn’t the “Tool” they were hoping for.

Imagine how many fans have a Google Alert for Tool set up, just so they could get the scoop on the elusive new album in real time. For a second, Tool followers believed that sacred day had finally arrived, as Google alerted them, “lllutionWorld by Tool was released today,” followed by a list of songs featured on the record:

Screen-Shot-2018-07-16-at-8.21.41-AM.png?w=630&h=262&q=75
Google

Turns out IllutionWorld does exist, but it’s by a Soundcloud rapper called TOOL$. Ouch. Instead of feasting like a sultan on Tool’s first album since 2005, fans wore the news like a crown of negativity, and who could blame them?

Google nearly gave me a heart attack when they sent me a notification saying "New Album by Tool"

Turns out it's from some soundcloud rapper named TOOL$

OK @Google, go fuck yourself pic.twitter.com/45JjlDmZKz

— Psycho-Tic (@psycho_tic) July 16, 2018

What kind of MONSTER would name their music group TOOL and release an album today and then send my phone a notification saying "NEW ALBUM FROM TOOL" close to the time we're expecting an album from the real Tool. I actually thought they just dropped their album 6 months early

— Ms. Dr. Professor Shell (@Michewellm88) July 16, 2018

Illusion World by Tool. New Album@Google Why such notifications? I just stepped out of meeting room to check.

— GOONER (@Mr_D0G) July 16, 2018

Nothing quite like getting a Google notification that says "New album from Tool" only for it to be a hip-hop album by a band called Tool$. Screw you Google. Don't play with my heart like this.

— Tucker King (@tuckerrking) July 16, 2018

Got a Google notification saying Tool had just released a new album... It was some rapper also named Tool. FUCCKK. My heart nearly flew out my mouth.

— Tierney 👻 (@tweetsoftierney) July 16, 2018

Anyone else get a Google alert saying Tool released a new album? pic.twitter.com/Ytxeth6IYe

— oof🙃 (@k1udge) July 16, 2018

Rough start to the week, but Tool fans can at least revel in the fact that Maynard James Keenan guaranteed new music will come around in 2019. Whether that means a new album, song, or live debut of a portion of a track, ala “Descending” — we have no clue. Stay tuned for more new Tool album news as it breaks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn that little place saw a lot of big acts in their early years. I saw Linkin Park open for Kottonmouth Kings there. LP was the first of maybe 3 openers and they only played 3 songs. Their first album hadn't even come out yet. /csb

I can't even imagine seeing Tool or RATM there. 

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Were you OGT?

those days are bit hazy now.  I saw them at lolla '93 in houston (think I have a soundboard recording of that),  it was same weekend as Faith No More/ Metallica/ GNR. Also went to the 94 show at the Terrace.   Unfortunately, missed all of AEnima as I was overseas trying to save the world.  Only saw them a couple times for Lateralus as I was too busy being a corporate monkey. Most shows have been since 10,000 days. The near tour kick off show at McFarlin was amazing hard to believe its been that long since an album came out.  Me and a couple buddies did a Texas Tour in 2006 and 2007. Seen them like 14 or 15 times.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2018 at 12:39 PM, NorthLoop said:

Damn that little place saw a lot of big acts in their early years. I saw Linkin Park open for Kottonmouth Kings there. LP was the first of maybe 3 openers and they only played 3 songs. Their first album hadn't even come out yet. /csb

I can't even imagine seeing Tool or RATM there. 

My friends lived in the apartments that overlooked the parking lot.  They were country music idiots but happened to go down there that day Pearl Jam played.  I saw Marilyn Manson there. The Chronicle is wrong though, that was their 2nd Austin show. They opened for NIN at the FEC in '94.  They were first on the bill before the Jim Rose circus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

MJK tweeted a few days ago that he finished up recording his vocal parts for the new album a while back. I think most of the instrumental recording has been finished too. After that, he says it is on the "long process" of mixing and mastering which, for some reason, I'm sure will take a damn year.

We should start a release date pool. 

I'll take Memorial Day

of 2025

• 2 weeks later...

Last we heard about the long-fabled new Tool album was that vocalist Maynard James Keenan had recorded vocals months ago, and that it's essentially up to the rest of the band to wrap things up. If drummer Danny Carey is to be believed, they're certainly moving along that process. In the video below, Carey tells a fan that Tool is shooting to release their new album in mid-April, and adds that "that's the plan, anyway."

In related news, a friend of the band named Gabriel Shaffer took to Instagram to say that he's heard the album in full. Meaning that the band has to be either pretty damn close to being completely done, or they've moved on to mastering and figuring out the marketing of the whole thing.

I guess we really are getting a new Tool album in 2019. 

• Like 2