New Tool Album: They really mean it this time. Maybe.

ConferenceRoom

Perhaps I’m the only nerd here that likes this stuff, but...

First half is 4/4 but is played like two triplets and a couplet

123 456 78 123 456 78 ...

Second half Adam picks up the tempo at 5:55 but I can’t pick up the beat until Justin comes in. Now we’re in 11/8

123 456 789 TE ... 123 456 789 TE...

At 7:35 Maynard is singing in 14/8 over this!

12 12 123 12 12 123 ... 6 times then two odd beats to get his 84 beats to match up with the bass/drums 8 measures of 11/8

Final few minutes still have me stumped. I know right before the end (which is insane) they are 6/4 and 5/4 repeating.

No idea what’s going on at the end

(Btw trying to do this at the poker table is a TERRIBLE idea)

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t think that is a good analogy. Metallica was coming off an amazing album (albeit shitty production) and put out the Black Album. It was almost night and day difference, and it indeed sucked.

Tool on the other hand have been venturing down this path since Aenima. It’s not a drastic change from the last couple of albums, but it is fairly different than say Undertow.

I just got a chance to really sit down and listen to the new track and I really like it. It builds nicely and hits the heaviness at the very end that I hope will comprise the majority of a few songs.

Weird.  This post almost makes it sound like you don't think the Black Album was Metallica's best album, which would somehow make you wrong.

I think their sound is so unique our brains register it as familiar even when it’s not. Ie, I image most of us could hear any hillbilly banjo or mid eastern tabla based song and feel we’ve heard it before even if we hadn’t. If we heard dozens of different artists using those sounds we would be more sensitive to the uniqueness of each, and then inside their individual catalog we’d hear the uniqueness of each song.

Danny’s snare-off/tom/bass drum riffs are very unusual for extended play, and he’s used it quite a bit now. I would guess if we chart them we’d see some very different patterns, but the SOUND is so unique we hear it as the same.

I recall how bummed I was that Rosetta Stoned felt so recycled for the first several months I listened to it, but that association to other songs seems to have disappeared for me now.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:51 PM, hornfan785 said:

Also, full catalog will be on streaming services this Friday.

Wow never thought it would happen. 

Their numbers are excellent even tough previously not officially on Spotify. Guess a lot of people added it like I had to.

WTF King Crimson is on Spotify now too!?

Edited by Zavala

I’ve come around big on this song. I think it might be one of their most complex, layered and nuanced tracks yet. And on first listen I thought it was a rehash.

Props to you guys who sorted out all the time signatures. I am usually pretty adept at that but this one is all over the place.

I’m telling you, it’s a lesson learned since Lateralus. Their tracks are simply too deep to get on just a few listens. I’m probably 20x through at this point and am still appreciating more each time. Blair’s comment about taking a month for each track has merit.

I still can’t count the ending.

16 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m telling you, it’s a lesson learned since Lateralus. Their tracks are simply too deep to get on just a few listens. I’m probably 20x through at this point and am still appreciating more each time. Blair’s comment about taking a month for each track has merit.

I still can’t count the ending.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, hornfan785 said:

I'm counting the end in groups of 3s and 2s. I think it's...

3 2,
3 3 3 2,
3 3 3 2,
3 2,
3 3 2

So, could be: 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 8

I prefer just going between 3 and 2 though.

I think that's it, although I'd change the last measure to 3 after listening to it a bunch of times.

3 2,
3 3 3 2,
3 3 3 2,
3 2,
3 3 3

Yeah, I think he's just playing the same pattern with both his hands and feet, just not perfectly in sync as it usually is. I thought it sounded a little sloppy too, but I think it's just how he wants it to sound. I originally thought he was playing 32nd notes, alternating between his feet and hands, which would be absolutely insane, but I don't think he's trying to do that at all.

https://loudwire.com/tool-fear-inoculum-track-listing-song-details/

Spoiler

Tool have officially released the track listing for their massively anticipated fifth studio album, Fear Inoculum. The list of songs expands on the theme of “seven,” featuring seven full songs on the physical release, including the epic “7empest.”

The album’s title track opens Fear Inoculum, setting a record for Tool’s longest opener while becoming their first introductory cut to surpass 10 minutes. It also made history as the longest Billboard Hot 100 hit to date. Lengthy tracks fill the entirety of Fear Inoculum, and the album’s second song, “Pneuma,” is no exception. “Pneuma” is eerily reminiscent of the closing tracks of Lateralus, heavily instrumental and transcendental.

After "Litanie contre la Peur" comes “Invincible,” the second Fear Inoculum song Tool debuted live. The crowd at Welcome to Rockville experienced the song’s inaugural performance back in May, getting blasted with a 12-minute baptism of extreme catharsis.

Fear Inoculum’s fifth track, “Legion Inoculant,” is a transitional piece between “Invincible” and “Descending.” Don’t listen if you’ve ever been abducted by aliens… this track will give you unpleasant flashbacks.

“Descending” has been a part of fans’ lives for nearly four years. Tool debuted an infant version on Halloween 2015, performing it dozens of times before finally revealing its final evolution earlier this year. The studio version is yet another Fear Inoculum piece that surpasses 10 minutes in length.

The seventh entry of Fear Inoculum is titled “Culling Voices” and it precedes a giant Danny Carey drum feast called “Chocolate Chip Trip.” Though “Chocolate Chip Trip” isn’t a conventional Tool song, the band does not consider it a segue.

Fear Inoculum’s ninth track, and final full-length piece, is called “7empest.” This is the epic marathon cut you’ve been hearing about for ages. “7empest” is roughly 20 minutes long, heavy as hell, and absolutely packed with riffs from Adam Jones.

Finally, “Mockingbeat” closes out the album with a final, short, segue featuring nature sounds.

Tool’s Fear Inoculum will be released Aug. 30. To pre-order the album, click here. To find out if Tool are playing any shows near you, click here.

Physical:

1. Fear Inoculum
2. Pneuma
3. Invincible
4. Descending
5. Culling Voices
6. Chocolate Chip Trip
7. 7empest

Digital:

1) Fear Inoculum
2) Pneuma
3) Litanie contre la Peur
4) Invincible
5) Legion Inoculant
6) Descending
7) Culling Voices
😎 Chocolate Chip Trip
9) 7empest
10) Mockingbeat

Just got around to listening to the new song today. I like it. 

Agree that it takes a few listens to gain appreciation for new tool music. As someone who is ignorant of the technical aspects, it's just so "layered" that you can still hear new things on the 100th listen. Very similar to pink floyd in that aspect, jmho. 

Also I think this got rid of the last of my mp3 needs, steaming can take care of just about everything