----Temporary------ Texas Recruiting Thread 2019

E.J. Holland: Recruits share thoughts on Texas Heat Wave

“Man, it was great. Everybody had a lot of fun. It was a great experience getting to bond with some of the other 2020 guys. It was just a lot of fun. Everybody seems really close.” — RB Mookie Cooper, Saint Louis Trinity (MO)

“I had a lot of fun. The experience was great. It was cool to just come out here and swim with everyone. It was just a great visit.” — WR Demond Demas, Houston North Forest

“It was a lot of fun. I really liked being around everybody. This is family now, so I have to feel comfortable.” — TE Jared Wiley, Temple

“They treat you like a family at Texas. I really like the staff and the players.” — OL Javonne Shepherd

“I enjoyed it. I got to see all of the stuff I didn’t get to see during the spring game. The Heat Wave was fun. I got to talk to the current players and coaches. It was a lot of fun.” — OL Chad Lindberg

“I tried my best to do some recruiting. I worked on two 2020 guys that are waiting for offers that feel like this is home for them. I also spent a lot of time with Taurean Carter.” — DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch

“It was great. I had a great time bonding with the players. We played a little bit of basketball. Shoot, I just had fun with the boys.” — DL Taurean Carter

“I feel like I belong here. I’m just waiting for them to pull the trigger and offer me.” — DL Alec Bryant

“Today was unbelievable. First of all, I’m grateful to this staff for bringing me in here. It was great getting to talk to Coach Orlando and Coach Herman and build a relationship as I start to close down my recruiting process.” — LB Maninoa Tufono, Punahou (HI)

“The visit was a lot of fun. My favorite part was getting to talk to the recruits and the players.” — LB David Gbenda

“It was really fun getting to hang out with the players. Everyone has been really hospitable since I got here. It was great just being able to vibe with everybody.” — CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA)

“Everything was great. I had a great time. It was a good stress reliever. I’m really close to the players.” — S Chris Thompson, Duncanville

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Damn. That Alec Bryant kid sounds like he’s in the bag. 247 has him as the #74 player in the country, so that makes you think he’s good enough for an early offer. Interesting to se what the staff does.

Don't know how true it is but I read a while back that his school didn't play a Varsity schedule last year??

39 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Damn. That Alec Bryant kid sounds like he’s in the bag. 247 has him as the #74 player in the country, so that makes you think he’s good enough for an early offer. Interesting to se what the staff does.

I assume he's one of the two 2020 kids that Mpagi said were waiting for offers.

Mike Roach: Five takeaways from Texas Heat Wave

—I have to start with Javonne Shepherd. As EJ Holland reported continuously, Shepherd not only made it to campus, but he also confirmed that the Longhorns were still his top school. This was particularly huge coming off the heels of a visit to Texas A&M. The Longhorns will still need to hold the Aggies off down the stretch, but yesterday was a big moment in his recruitment. Not only did he make it to campus, he might have been the recruit having the most fun on campus. While he’s usually a quiet and reserved kid, Shepherd showed more personality today than we’ve ever seen from him.

—The second annual Heat Wave event was a success. The Texas staff proves again and again that they understand how to host unique events for recruits. The pool party is a laid-back event which provides a recruiting opportunity that is essentially stress-free. Instead of feeling the pressure of most visits, multiple recruits mentioned that it was just a fun and relaxing time. This event is also a good way to seamlessly introduce the current players to prospective recruits.

—The Texas staff is also very good at interacting with families during events like this. All hands were on deck, and each recruit received their share of special attention from staffers. This speaks to the focus on detail that the Texas staff operates with, and it’s noticed by recruits and parents. As I said earlier, the opportunity to interact with coaches and players in a fun atmosphere is something that impacts recruits in a different type of way.

—While last year’s Heat Wave focused mainly on the 2018 class, this year’s event put a lot of focus on next year. The Longhorns did host their fair share of 2019 recruits, but they also had quite a few 2020 prospects on hand. The Texas staff is already building strong bonds with the next few classes, and hosting these underclassmen let them know that they stand highly on the Texas board. Guys like Demond Demas, Chris Thompson, Alec Bryant, Mookie Cooper and Chad Lindberg all gave their visits high marks.

—The 2019 class is spread from Georgia to California, with several stops in between. When a class is built with that type of reach, it can be difficult to build the bonds like a class centered around one state. This event gave several commits the opportunity to really bond. As the class continues to grow, these core members are going to be integral parts in finishing strong down the stretch. The Heat Wave brought several of these guys together, and let them get to work recruiting.

• Like 1