What series do you recommend?

Nonbryan

Either all time greats or latest and greatest? What's your "must see" series recommendation?  

My wife and I tried to get in to Westworld but we couldn't get in to it.  We may go old school and start watching the Wire.  Neither of us have seen it before and it seems like a highly recommended classic.

Either all time greats or latest and greatest? What's your "must see" series recommendation?  
My wife and I tried to get in to Westworld but we couldn't get in to it.  We may go old school and start watching the Wire.  Neither of us have seen it before and it seems like a highly recommended classic.

Correct answer. End thread
  • Like 2

I watched The Wire for the first time a few months ago.  It's excellent.

The Americans.  Not sure when it'll be available on Blu Ray or streaming, but I'll watch it again in its entirety as soon as it is.

The Killing is on Netflix.  I thought the final season was a letdown, but the first three are very good.

The Blacklist.  Also on Netflix.  Spader is awesome and Lizzy is gorgeous.

Thought of another: The Night Of was a short series on HBO, only 8 episodes.  John Turturro, Michael K Williams and a great young actor named Riz Ahmed.  Find it.

Edited by TexArcher

4 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

the wire requires some investment but the payoff is worth it.  it truly is a great show.  season 2 is kind of a curveball but 3 and 4 are peak television.  do it. 

the wire requires some investment but the payoff is worth it.  it truly is a great show.  season 2 is kind of a curveball but 3 and 4 are peak television.  do it. 

That curveball is what I consider the best season.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

You answered your own question

I think breaking bad is the GOAT

Game of thrones is good...but you really can't have one eye on your phone and one on the TV. Plus binging it makes you probably forget a lot of things. Last season airs next spring I believe 

Stranger things is good and will have another season ready next year I think.

I thought better call saul sucked 

Bailed on the walking dead

Silicon valleys a good one to kill a weekend 

Recommend:

Mad Men
The Leftovers
Black Mirror
Band of Brothers
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Broadchurch
The Americans
Bosch
The Wire
Big Little Lies
LOST
The Man in the High Castle
Goliath
The Affair
Colony
Catastrophe
Manhunt
Mindhunter
The Missing
Bloodline

Do NOT recommend:

The Walking Dead
Dexter
The Night Of
Peaky Blinders
Altered Carbon
Vinyl
The Deuce
Homeland
Gypsy

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Recommend:

Mad Men
The Leftovers
Black Mirror
Band of Brothers
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Broadchurch
The Americans
Bosch
The Wire
Big Little Lies
LOST
The Man in the High Castle
Goliath
The Affair
Colony
Catastrophe
Manhunt
Mindhunter
The Missing
Bloodline

Do NOT recommend:

The Walking Dead
Dexter
The Night Of
Peaky Blinders
Altered Carbon
Vinyl
The Deuce
Homeland
Gypsy

Sadly, The Night Of started out so good. Agree with all of the above

two things:

1. please tell us what you like and what you're looking for.  there are plenty of short series or current series that are 20 or fewer episodes, but then there's lost/mad men/the shield/sopranos/breaking bad/game of thrones/west wing/the wire which will keep you occupied for weeks or longer (in a great way).  do you want to knock stuff out or get into something great for a while?  do you like drama?  comedy?  quirky?  serial?  episodic?  new?  old?  period?  fantasy?  it's a broad and complicated question.

2. someone early on said the killing.  gtfo with that nonsense.  that show was a beating.  one of my best friends was in it and it was still a total chore to get through.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

two things:

1. please tell us what you like and what you're looking for.  there are plenty of short series or current series that are 20 or fewer episodes, but then there's lost/mad men/the shield/sopranos/breaking bad/game of thrones/west wing/the wire which will keep you occupied for weeks or longer (in a great way).  do you want to knock stuff out or get into something great for a while?  do you like drama?  comedy?  quirky?  serial?  episodic?  new?  old?  period?  fantasy?  it's a broad and complicated question.

2. someone early on said the killing.  gtfo with that nonsense.  that show was a beating.  one of my best friends was in it and it was still a total chore to get through.  

Agree, the Killing was not good

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Recommend:

Mad Men (awesome)
The Leftovers (awesome, but not for everyone)
Black Mirror (same - each episode is completely different, more like watching a bunch of one off short movies)
Band of Brothers (mini-series, war-themed obviously, so more of a guys thing)
Game of Thrones (awesome, long, still awaiting final season, so it's a perfect thing to watch now)
Breaking Bad (awesome)
Broadchurch (awesome)
The Americans (awesome)
Bosch (haven't watched but heard great things)
The Wire (awesome)
Big Little Lies (i liked it, but again, was basically a short series, easy to knock out.  s2 is coming, but will be different story)
LOST (awesome)
The Man in the High Castle (didn't watch)
Goliath (s1 was good, i would put way down on your list)
The Affair (haven't watched)
Colony (haven't watched)
Catastrophe (awesome, easy to knock out with short seasons, hilarious)
Manhunt (haven't watched)
Mindhunter (was great, can't wait for s2)
The Missing (awesome)
Bloodline (starts great but imo trails off quickly in s2/s3, many better options)

Do NOT recommend:

The Walking Dead
Dexter
The Night Of
Peaky Blinders
Altered Carbon
Vinyl
The Deuce
Homeland
Gypsy

wild turkey's is a nice list, i made comments above ^^

i would go to youtube and google "show name + season 1 trailer" and see what looks interesting to you and the wife.  if i put "awesome" next to a bunch of stuff you guys haven't seen, you have your work cut out for you, and i envy you.

• Like 1

Tier 1

Game of Thrones

Rome

Sopranos

Peaky Blinders

Narcos

Tier 2

Turn

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

Vikings

Black Sails

Ray Donovan

The Crown

Tier 3

Westworld

Ripper Street 

Man in the High Castle

The Wire

Homeland

Silicon Valley

Poldark

17 hours ago, immortal13 said:

The Wire tier 3? Pfffftt

i almost put it tier 2 but i personally don't care much for crime dramas, they are all the same.  i love Narcos because it involves the highest level of criminal and the hunt by the DEA.  the Wire is crime at the lowest level, crack dealers on the street and regular cops trying to bust them basically.  that has never interested me.  i watched season 1 and quit.  i can see why people who like that genre like it however, its well done.

21 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

i almost put it tier 2 but i personally don't care much for crime dramas, they are all the same.  i love Narcos because it involves the highest level of criminal and the hunt by the DEA.  the Wire is crime at the lowest level, crack dealers on the street and regular cops trying to bust them basically.  that has never interested me.  i watched season 1 and quit.  i can see why people who like that genre like it however, its well done.

I actually don't care for that genre myself, but I think the great acting and characters of The Wire kept me watching.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, futureman said:

I watched season 1 last year but haven't motivated to keep going.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I watched season 1 last year but haven't motivated to keep going.

Season 2 expands the scope to include the guys who work at the docks and the international smugglers and how the drugs get brought in. It also gets more into the political scene. 

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

John from Cincinnati always deserves a mention.

As one of the worst series ever, I suppose. They canceled it before the first season was finished, didn't they? 

All questions, no answers. It was good at appearing promising but it never delivered. 

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Fuck the genre. 

Got to. It's America, man.

• Fuck You 1

On 6/19/2018 at 9:49 AM, Mileslong said:

once you said this:

i personally don't care much for crime dramas, they are all the same.

you didn't need to say this:

i watched season 1 and quit

it was painfully obvious.

you really shouldn't put yourself out there and rank shows for others that you haven't even seen.  do you give people your opinions on movies that you only caught 25 minutes of on cable?