What series do you recommend?

Nonbryan

it was painfully obvious.

you really shouldn't put yourself out there and rank shows for others that you haven't even seen.  do you give people your opinions on movies that you only caught 25 minutes of on cable?  

First of all I’ve seen every episode of all the shows I’ve ranked except for the Wire.

Secondly, I don’t think one season is catching just 25 minutes in cable.

You don’t think an entire season is enough to judge whether or not you like the series? You need to watch 8 seasons or so?

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

First of all I’ve seen every episode of all the shows I’ve ranked except for the Wire.

Secondly, I don’t think one season is catching just 25 minutes in cable.

You don’t think an entire season is enough to judge whether or not you like the series? You need to watch 8 seasons or so?

if it was a procedural, sure.  1-2 seasons of lost?  probably.  one season of west wing?  definitely.  one season of breaking bad?  no.  one season of the wire, definitely not.  if someone came up to you on the street and asked your opinion of the wire, you can say exactly what you said.  but on a thread where someone is asking for recommendations of great shows to watch, i don't think you're qualified in this particular instance to give a thumbs up or down.

the wire was a very rare case where they hit the ground running and introduced a ton of characters right away and it takes 4-5 episodes just to start to feel comfortable.  most people who love the series don't even like season 1 until the 2nd viewing, then they love it, because they get who everyone is and what's happening.  and almost everyone who has seen the series has watched it a 2nd time, or more.

i'm not saying your answer is wrong, do what you want.  but you shouldn't put it on a low tier when you haven't seen the whole story play out.  the 5th season (in my opinion) exists on an island and goes different (not as good) places.  but s1-s4 comprise one long cohesive story with twists and turns like a mini series or novel.

trust me, this has been a well covered issue and you're not the only one who feels like you feel.  many people, myself included, had issues getting past the first 3-4 episodes, because it's structured unlike any show had been before.  in fact, david simon has said on many occasions that they weren't taken seriously by critics and award shows because they typically allow submissions of an episode or two.  before season 3, simon decided to send critics the entire season, because, as he put it, sending the first 2 episodes would "be like sending someone the first two chapters of a 12 chapter book".

to label the wire as a cop show (and then to shit on it because it deals with low level street crime) is very narrow.  er is a hospital show, law and order is a cop show, but breaking bad isn't a science show.  the wire should be viewed as one 4 season ride (5 if you feel up to it).  otherwise, it shouldn't be dismissed.

end of rant.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if it was a procedural, sure.  1-2 seasons of lost?  probably.  one season of west wing?  definitely.  one season of breaking bad?  no.  one season of the wire, definitely not.  if someone came up to you on the street and asked your opinion of the wire, you can say exactly what you said.  but on a thread where someone is asking for recommendations of great shows to watch, i don't think you're qualified in this particular instance to give a thumbs up or down.

the wire was a very rare case where they hit the ground running and introduced a ton of characters right away and it takes 4-5 episodes just to start to feel comfortable.  most people who love the series don't even like season 1 until the 2nd viewing, then they love it, because they get who everyone is and what's happening.  and almost everyone who has seen the series has watched it a 2nd time, or more.

i'm not saying your answer is wrong, do what you want.  but you shouldn't put it on a low tier when you haven't seen the whole story play out.  the 5th season (in my opinion) exists on an island and goes different (not as good) places.  but s1-s4 comprise one long cohesive story with twists and turns like a mini series or novel.

trust me, this has been a well covered issue and you're not the only one who feels like you feel.  many people, myself included, had issues getting past the first 3-4 episodes, because it's structured unlike any show had been before.  in fact, david simon has said on many occasions that they weren't taken seriously by critics and award shows because they typically allow submissions of an episode or two.  before season 3, simon decided to send critics the entire season, because, as he put it, sending the first 2 episodes would "be like sending someone the first two chapters of a 12 chapter book".

to label the wire as a cop show (and then to shit on it because it deals with low level street crime) is very narrow.  er is a hospital show, law and order is a cop show, but breaking bad isn't a science show.  the wire should be viewed as one 4 season ride (5 if you feel up to it).  otherwise, it shouldn't be dismissed.

end of rant.

Also the fact that each season is a completely different storyline and many new characters

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Peaky Blinders is nowhere near the top of any credible list. I've never given a show more chances than that one. could not get through it. boring and derivative with a lack of great characters.

I disagree.  Tom Hardy playing Alfie was one of the greatest characters ever.  

2 hours ago, Hugh G. Rection said:

I disagree.  Tom Hardy playing Alfie was one of the greatest characters ever.  

i quit watching not too long after he came into the show. early second season i believe. his character drove home how bland and pointless the rest of the characters were.

the opening scene of the entire series shows that the PB are this ruthless gang who are revered by common folk but feared by everyone, yet nothing that happens after that supports this idea. these guys sit around brooding in a dimly lit bar playing derivative and unimaginative storylines without ever really showing why or how they've earned their reputation. otoh, hardy shows up, establishes himself as someone not to be reckoned with, and immediately showcases why. i got tired of sitting around waiting for hardy to be on screen.

and as an example of "lack of great characters", how about this cop who's infatuated with the PB. it's like the writers couldn't decide if he was a cunning, powerful, worthy adversary to the baddest gang in town, or if he was this bumbling, insecure, keystone cop. really turned me off of the show.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 9:10 PM, TexArcher said:

The Americans.  Not sure when it'll be available on Blu Ray or streaming, but I'll watch it again in its entirety as soon as it is.

https://smile.amazon.com/Americans-Final-Season-Sneak-Peak/dp/B07BDFTN2T/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529539251&sr=8-3&keywords=the+americans

http://www.fxnetworks.com/fxplus

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Peaky Blinders is nowhere near the top of any credible list. I've never given a show more chances than that one. could not get through it. boring and derivative with a lack of great characters.

Agreed. It's boring, formulaic, repeatedly builds up big showdowns with no payoff, and depends on overly dramatic shots of groups of people walking through the streets in slow motion while smoking. It tries to come across as gritty but it feels like network television in disguise, sort of like The Walking Dead. 

In full disclosure, I gave up after 3 seasons, which was probably 2 seasons too long. If it got better in season 4, then my apologies, but it shouldn't take 4 seasons for a show to become good.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i quit watching not too long after he came into the show. early second season i believe. his character drove home how bland and pointless the rest of the characters were.

Hide contents

the opening scene of the entire series shows that the PB are this ruthless gang who are revered by common folk but feared by everyone, yet nothing that happens after that supports this idea. these guys sit around brooding in a dimly lit bar playing derivative and unimaginative storylines without ever really showing why or how they've earned their reputation. otoh, hardy shows up, establishes himself as someone not to be reckoned with, and immediately showcases why. i got tired of sitting around waiting for hardy to be on screen.

and as an example of "lack of great characters", how about this cop who's infatuated with the PB. it's like the writers couldn't decide if he was a cunning, powerful, worthy adversary to the baddest gang in town, or if he was this bumbling, insecure, keystone cop. really turned me off of the show.

That's about the same point I bailed. I liked it at first but then I realized I had no reason to give a fuck about the PB enterprise and the constant pontificating over their next business deal just got boring and stale. I love Tom Hardy but it just wasn't enough to keep me watching.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I'd have to put Game of Thrones very near the top.  We watched the entire series from about January through April.  Absolutely loved it.  Hate that we have to wait until next year.

This is probably the way it's done. 

Me and bed ridden wife got through first 5 seasons in like 2 weeks.  Now we're barely getting by who's who and wtf is going on

On 6/17/2018 at 11:27 PM, Red Five said:

Like starting from scratch? Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Detective season 1 and only season 1.

Just curious as to why you don't recommend Season 2 of True Detective. I have been meaning to watch that forever now.

full disclosure - I picked up the show at the start of season 3 and watched the entirety from then on.  Have not seen the first two seasons -not on Netflix :(.  I can say from season 3 to the end that it's in my top five series ever.

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Watch the first season of Dexter and then pretend it got cancelled. It goes downhill quickly after that.

Season 4 was great with Lithgow. But it goes off a cliff after that. Only reason to watch after that was Yvonne Strahovski. For sure skip the last season or just don't watch the series finale and make up your own ending in your head. (Whatever you come up with will be better than what they actually went with) 

9 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

ozark on netflix

Season 2 August 31st! 

• Like 1

I'd have to put Game of Thrones very near the top.  We watched the entire series from about January through April.  Absolutely loved it.  Hate that we have to wait until next year.

Held off on GoT until last summer. Never was a fantasy guy and it never appealed to me. Started season 1 last August and didn’t lay off the gas until I finished season 7 a couple months later. Amazing TV.

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Held off on GoT until last summer. Never was a fantasy guy and it never appealed to me. Started season 1 last August and didn’t lay off the gas until I finished season 7 a couple months later. Amazing TV.

yeah, agreed on the fantasy.  obviously it goes into some of that territory, but it really helped that from the beginning, it was based in reality, with some mystical shit sprinkled in.  i find myself still losing interest when it goes too far down that road.

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

just went back and read the shaggy thread on Ozark, and every other post in the damn thing is about a gaping plot hole or some nonsensical shit that's so blatant you can't ignore it. also the lighting. jesus, that lighting. 

a somewhat disturbing trend with streaming shows is the inevitable "fizzling" out at the end of a season.  these shows somehow get a pass for this, because most people watch it like a long movie (binge).  they may have been kinda let down on a sunday afternoon between 3-6pm so it's not a huge deal.  but if this was a network show, and the entire last month went downhill and got shitty, people would be ripping it and wanting it cancelled.  the world we live in.

my favorite asinine (or maybe "silly" is a better word) bit from Ozark. i'll put it in spoilers, but even if you haven't watched the show yet you might want to check this out because of how blatantly stupid it is.

An FBI agent is trying to uncover some sort of drug ring or something- i don't all the way remember because the show isn't that great. anyway, dude is trying to figure out how to crack the case, when he finds out that this hillbilly who's moving drugs is gay. you see him reviewing the guy's file or something, and when he realizes the guy is gay he smiles and nods to himself like, "jackpot". so this FBI agent's ONLY plan is to go to bumfuck Missouri and seduce the guy, because all gay dudes want to have sex with every single man on earth right? FBI guy arrives and seduces the hillbilly with essentially zero effort and then gets all of the information he needs.

how fucking stupid is that? the fbi guy isn't even handsome or anything, he's just gay himself. the show is filled with crap like that. "oh he's gay so i'll seduce him." whatever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

a somewhat disturbing trend with streaming shows is the inevitable "fizzling" out at the end of a season.  these shows somehow get a pass for this, because most people watch it like a long movie (binge).  they may have been kinda let down on a sunday afternoon between 3-6pm so it's not a huge deal.  but if this was a network show, and the entire last month went downhill and got shitty, people would be ripping it and wanting it cancelled.  the world we live in.

It's also a trend to enjoy focusing on the faults of a show.  I've fallen into that trap on shows/movies that I generally liked for what they were, but finding myself highlighting it's faults over it's success.

• Like 1

Two more obscure shows I haven't seen mentioned but I really liked are Line of Duty and Bored to Death. Line of Duty is on Hulu. British cop show focusing on their version of Internal Affairs. Some really good acting and intense interrogation scenes. 

Bored to Death was a short lived comedy series on HBO. Ted Danson, Galifianakis, and Jason Schwartzman. It's only 3 seasons but very dry and funny.

51 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's also a trend to enjoy focusing on the faults of a show.  I've fallen into that trap on shows/movies that I generally liked for what they were, but finding myself highlighting it's faults over it's success.

"we thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read."  -ratatouille

Season 1 of True Detective with McConaughey and Harrellson was my favorite of all time. Incredible and wish they’d do another season with those 2. FX has done some really quality short run shows this year. Trust was awesome, especially episode 8 which was all in Italian set with the kidnappers at a confirmation. Whoever did that series should do movies because he was very talented. Assassination of Gianni Versace was good but nearly as good as Trust. I have really enjoyed Genius: Picasso with Banderas on Nat Geo.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, agreed on the fantasy.  obviously it goes into some of that territory, but it really helped that from the beginning, it was based in reality, with some mystical shit sprinkled in.  i find myself still losing interest when it goes too far down that road.

I gave GOT 6 episodes and didn’t get into it at all. Felt like I was on crazy pills for not liking something everyone else loves. I like the Lord of the Rings movies so it’s not as if I hate the whole fantasy genre. I should give it another go.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

my favorite asinine (or maybe "silly" is a better word) bit from Ozark. i'll put it in spoilers, but even if you haven't watched the show yet you might want to check this out because of how blatantly stupid it is.

Hide contents

An FBI agent is trying to uncover some sort of drug ring or something- i don't all the way remember because the show isn't that great. anyway, dude is trying to figure out how to crack the case, when he finds out that this hillbilly who's moving drugs is gay. you see him reviewing the guy's file or something, and when he realizes the guy is gay he smiles and nods to himself like, "jackpot". so this FBI agent's ONLY plan is to go to bumfuck Missouri and seduce the guy, because all gay dudes want to have sex with every single man on earth right? FBI guy arrives and seduces the hillbilly with essentially zero effort and then gets all of the information he needs.

how fucking stupid is that? the fbi guy isn't even handsome or anything, he's just gay himself. the show is filled with crap like that. "oh he's gay so i'll seduce him." whatever.

My favorite is when the little blonde redneck girl calls some dude a "fucknugget". Overall the show isn't worthy of a recommendation in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I gave GOT 6 episodes and didn’t get into it at all. Felt like I was on crazy pills for not liking something everyone else loves. I like the Lord of the Rings movies so it’s not as if I hate the whole fantasy genre. I should give it another go.

You definitely should

• 1 month later...