What series do you recommend?

Nonbryan

Lots of good recommendations.  I'd keep the Wire, Mad Men, GoT, WW near the top.

Lots of people like Justified, but I have a hard time watching Timothy Olyphant.

Need to add Veep to the comedy list - I put it right at the top of my comedies with Seinfeld and The Office.  Consider Archer.  I didn't think I'd like animated comedy, but there's some sharp humor in it.  Curb doesn't work for a lot of women, but worth a shot.  If she gives up on watching with you, go with Mystery Science Theater 3000

A few others that I'd add that only got a mention or two: Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos, the Tudors (mainly for Natalie Dormer), Band of Brothers

Downton Abbey isn't a bad compromise if she isn't into the HBO/Showtime format.

To be fair, Dexter's season 2 is pretty good.  And then Season 4, the Trinity Killer is arguably the best season of the series (maybe a tie with Season 1).  The rest of the 9 seasons, (#3 & #5-#9) are among the worst television to ever come out of Showtime/premium cable...and that's fucking say something.  Although, season 5 or 6 (forget which it was) is worth it only to watch Sgt. Batista try to say the word "tableau" several times.  

If I were you...I'd spend the next 2-3 weeks watching Season 1 of "Ozark" and then dive right into Season 2, which starts 31 August.