WC day 5

Hagbard Celine

If you turn your back at the last minute, so that a shoulder-to-shoulder bump because a bump in your back, it should NOT be a foul. The same as in American football.

But Hazard got away with it.

PS- Panama isn't going to score a bunch of goals (or any) by taking shots from distance on this keeper.

Edited by Napoleon

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If you turn your back at the last minute, so that a shoulder-to-shoulder bump because a bump in your back, it should NOT be a foul. The same as in American football.

But Hazard got away with it.

PS- Panama isn't going to score a bunch of goals (or any) by taking shots from distance on this keeper.

I hope that the reffing improves over the course of the tournament.  Thus far it's been atrocious.  I don't know if they are being too dependent on VAR or are just bad, but it's affecting the quality of the play.   

7 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I hope that the reffing improves over the course of the tournament.  Thus far it's been atrocious.  I don't know if they are being too dependent on VAR or are just bad, but it's affecting the quality of the play.   

I have a completely opposite opinion of the games I've watched. (Haven't seen them all.) I am loving the lack of whistles from all the dives and the occasional "hand ball" called after a player dives and then grabs the ball.

The Iranian ref for the Mexico/Germany game was the best so far.

2 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I disagree. I think they've done a decent job of letting them play. I'm guessing some of the "no calls" in the box are due to dependence on VAR, but all-in-all, I can't think of a hugely controversial call that they've missed.

6 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Now can we unpark the bus, Panama?

Unfortunately, Panama should never stop parking the bus this entire tournament. Especially not against the best team in their group. They weren't expecting "a result" in this match, but they want to limit the damage. I wouldn't expect them to change a thing. A 1-0 loss is basically a win for them.

1) That keeper took forever to come off his line. (Neuer would have had the ball across midfield by the time Lukaku could even get to the ball.)

2) Exhibit A of why Panama should have continued to park the bus.

Edited by Napoleon

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Damn Panama, game plan ain't working! 

That said, I called Belgium to be a real contender and I think they are going to take the group. Team is just gelling at the right time. 

Belgium/England being on the final day is going to make for some great drama hopefully.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Belgium/England being on the final day is going to make for some great drama hopefully.

Hopefully there is a difference in goal differential or we could see a very defensive match... with minimal risk taking for the first 80 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Hopefully there is a difference in goal differential or we could see a very defensive match... with minimal risk taking for the first 80 minutes.

The interesting thing is that winning that group may not be the best path. Right now it looks like the winner of that group is going to get Brazil or Germany in the quarterfinal whereas when the group started it looked like the winner would get Brazil and the runner up Germany. Winning this group may not end up being ideal.

28 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think Belgium is a real contender and I think they are going to take the group. Team is just gelling at the right time. 

I'm gonna hold off a bit. Panama is good at making you look like a great squad...unless you are the USMNT.