Texas vs Florida : College World Series.

petscii

I know Horns hate to ever have anything but a Championship. 

But Damn, have to be somewhat happy with the results of the year.. In year 2 of your new coach. 

Let him keeping working things out and they will be back in OMAHA next year. 

Great season Horns. 

• Like 6

Think about what Pearce did in his first two seasons.  Just a few pitches away last year from making/hosting a Super Regional (due to other upset).  We go on a run to outright win our conference in his second season, host regional and Super, go 5-1 in those two series.  All the way to Omaha with an above-average lineup and maybe one of our weaker pitching staffs in the last several years.  The W-L record isn't staggering, but damn fucking good.  And the overall finishes and trophies along the way were impressive given the less-than-massive expectations.  And all this for less than $600k.  

Strong, Smart, and already to an extent Herman...those guys are just maintaining mediocrity for millions upon millions of dollars.  

we were good on pitching(at least over the last 2/3rds of the year), below average hitting, all year, save one player, fielding was good to very good.

we have to get to very good to great on pitching and avg/good hitting, across the lineup, to get to the top.

Yeah, didn't expect 'em to win today at all.   We scratched out a decent year with a maybe-slightly-above-average team, certainly one of the least talented we've had in Omaha.  Can't say the WS was fun but it was better than having nothing to follow for the last week.

Next year?  Fuck, who knows?  Lately we haven't "built" worth shit.  More like dice roll and we'll see.  Incoming pitching looks strong, not amazing, but strong.  Hitting will probably hover around the .275 mark or so average (it was .272 going into today, probably dove a bit).

Baseball has gotten so overwhelmingly egalitarian compared to the other major sports in the last 10 years or so... the days are gone (I think) of dominant teams, certainly of expecting to be in Omaha every year.   So there's really no way to know how we'll come out.

But, I do believe I've seen Pierce do a great job in managing the team.  Actually I very much liked his gutsy decisions this CWS.  I was so sick/tired of "playing not to lose" the past few years, I do like his "throw the shit into the blender and see what comes out" approach.  I think that's going to go a long way to giving us a better than average shot next year.

But college baseball is now certainly a sport where a pool of at least 40 teams can all make it in any given year.  So hopefully Pierce will make the difference as he gets more comfortable. 

Good season, more or less, despite the bitter, sour ending.

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Likely a troll but the top 2 RPI teams in the country beat Texas. 

Texas didn't choke and they weren't "outclassed".

They were beat by better teams. 

Well, so we were "outclassed."  But I'm ok with that--I expect that we're going to be better next year.  And with some experience in Omaha, I expect that we should be back and have a longer stay.

44 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I know Horns hate to ever have anything but a Championship. 

But Damn, have to be somewhat happy with the results of the year.. In year 2 of your new coach. 

Let him keeping working things out and they will be back in OMAHA next year. 

Great season Horns. 

Thanks man. I hope you guys do it this year.

I’m disappointed but only because the season ends for the Horns. If you would have told me a few months ago that Texas hosts and wins a regional, a super regional and makes it to Omaha, no way I would have believed you. Great to be back and at least something to build on for next year. 

Nice ride, you over achieving pencil dick assholes!!   Sorry you had to lose two games to Aggy though, but them's the breaks.    

We all 'gon lose to those assholes from Mississippi State eventually!  They have a lucky horseshoe up their ass it seems.   Or a Skoal can.   But something.

Great season Horns. 

• Like 6

Absolutely made a lot of us very proud.  Looking forward to see how we do next year as well.

After watching, and never really thinking about it, I just realized that the CWS is a regional and Super Regional rolled into one.  Be the best of the first 4 teams in your bracket, and then beat the other guy, 2 out of 3.   I know ya'll knew that...but it just dawned on me. 

Onward to football..I'm sure aggy is celebrating tonight.

40 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Nice ride, you over achieving pencil dick assholes!!   Sorry you had to lose two games to Aggy though, but them's the breaks.    

We all 'gon lose to those assholes from Mississippi State eventually!  They have a lucky horseshoe up their ass it seems.   Or a Skoal can.   But something.

Great season Horns. 

Thanks Gata.

FUCK!

just no timely hitting and what seems to plague this CWS some shitty plays at all the wrong times

the reality is this team really did not have the pitching and especially the hitting to be an elite team and instead of accepting that they just played hard and went a lot further than people thought, but it still sucks to have so many runners on base and to leave them stranded so often

11 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

FUCK!

just no timely hitting and what seems to plague this CWS some shitty plays at all the wrong times

the reality is this team really did not have the pitching and especially the hitting to be an elite team and instead of accepting that they just played hard and went a lot further than people thought, but it still sucks to have so many runners on base and to leave them stranded so often

To be fair we have not had a team that didn't leave massive numbers of people on base since 2010. The 2014 team just had Nathan Thornhill and company to offset that.

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

really needed a run there. shaping up to be a 6-2 type loss thus far. need hints to change.

weird how early on you can see these things coming. oh well. as has been stated the season has been a major success and we have a lot of good momentum going forward. going 0-2 sucks, but for this team, playing in Omaha was an awesome way to end the year. 🤘🏼 

Edited by Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:
59 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:
Fuck aggy, they did not go. 

You must be new. They had three teams there.

I bet every aggy in the room woopd and hollered when somebody brought up the bright idea of running to the SEC so they could ride their coattails and live vicariously through their success. 

Like I bet the conversation got really real. Like guys, listen, we suck and we’ve sucked for 80 god damn years. A hundred really. I don’t wanna die without feeling what its like to win a championship. I’m tired of being tu’s bitch. My dick dont work anymore and my son is getting cucked by a tsippin whore. What we gon do??

Edited by GotThatFire

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

To be fair we have not had a team that didn't leave massive numbers of people on base since 2010. The 2014 team just had Nathan Thornhill and company to offset that.

Very true.  And a few people stepped up in the post-season, to a greater degree than this year.

Absolutely made a lot of us very proud.  Looking forward to see how we do next year as well.
After watching, and never really thinking about it, I just realized that the CWS is a regional and Super Regional rolled into one.  Be the best of the first 4 teams in your bracket, and then beat the other guy, 2 out of 3.   I know ya'll knew that...but it just dawned on me. 
Onward to football..I'm sure aggy is celebrating tonight.

That’s weird. It had never occurred to me before this year either. Explaining the format to 4 different friends is why it dawned on me.

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I would like to personally thank Tennessee Tech for whoopin' Ole Miss' ass and coming to Austin.  It gave us the opportunity to enjoy another trip to Omaha.  

Yep, this is a big one.  We got lucky.  It's okay, you can never win a CWS without some luck.

I thought we were 50/50 for hosting, in some ways didn't deserve it (RPI).  And, to be honest, we did well in the conference but seemed to have played the better teams before they got good.  The conference was pretty good, but when we went through some of those teams they weren't yet gelling (OSU the big exception, they were good when played them and we still took 2/3, but they tanked late in the season, and we did get WVa when they started playing much better late in the season).  Nevertheless, we got the regional which I think was also due to the committee liking Austin as a regional seat.  I took it.

However, the conventional wisdom I heard was that "if Texas gets a site, they'll be 'punished' for tanking in the conference tourney by drawing a tough pool.' 
Meh.

Texas Southern?  LOL.  Aggy?  Well they have the cred (just ask them!) but they're notorious aggys and always suck shit in everything during crunch time (i.e. as the seasons go along, no matter what sport).  I wasn't worried about them, they were going to fuck up.  You'd think the NCAA would have noticed that and maybe dumped a more robust TCU on our laps again and sent aggy to Lubbock or whatever.  Anyway, we got 'em.  Wow.  Then they grabbed a mildly talented but no threat to anyone Indiana, who wasn't even in the Top 4 in the weak-because-of-cold-weather B1G.  They had a decent year but were 14-9 in conference, and a lousy conference at that (the top team, Minnie, did make it out of their own regional but fell to Oregon State harmlessly).   The regional for Texas was almost unbelievably easy; (although even tepid Indiana outhit us in the final).

We also got somewhat lucky in Mississippi screwing the pooch.  TennTech had a good team but they amassed a lot of those wins against pretty shoddy competition.  Yeah they were competitive in some of their bigger games, but again, the Ohio Valley Conference is never gonna scare anyone.  However Texas did play a really good final game against them.  But like you said, if Tech didn't take Mississippi out, I think Texas would have lost it in Oxford.  But... the super was the one time perhaps this year Texas played really well against a good team, 3 times in a row, when they had to.  I'll still give 'em credit for that.

Sometimes luck plays a part.  I don't think Texas was 'punished' at all with a "tough" regional.  I think it was actually surprisingly weak.  And that and the Mississippi fuckup got us to Omaha.  And for that, I don't apologize one bit.  No we weren't really the equal of most teams there, but you take what you get and roll the dice.  Our dice came up snake eyes (as they were likely to) but it was a legit achievement.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2

Congrats on a great season and run through the NCAA to CWS.  Nothing to be ashamed of for this.  Team overachieved and did far better than expected at the outset of the season.  Hopefully they can build on this season's successes and go deeper next year.

Full disclosure:  I'm a Gator law school grad and was very torn watching yesterday's game.