Jordan Peterson interviews Steven Pinker

EMAWesome

1 hour ago, Bill Clinton said:

Two ANGRY OLE WHITE MEN

You can disagree with Peterson but he doesn't really come across as "ANGRY". I've got a feeling that any white man you disagree with and is older than you is an "ANGRY OLE WHITE" man.  Or maybe you just like to quote Dyson, but anyways, congrats on adding to the discourse. 

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

You can disagree with Peterson but he doesn't really come across as "ANGRY". I've got a feeling that any white man you disagree with and is older than you is an "ANGRY OLE WHITE" man.  Or maybe you just like to quote Dyson, but anyways, congrats on adding to the discourse. 

I believe it was a jab at Dyson’s racebaiting routine during the Monk Debates, which led to his being mocked by the crowd... In Canada. I’m currently reading Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, it’s a great read. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This dude is truly one of the world's great thinkers...

I'm not a fan of Jordan Peterson.  I think he has some decent pure psychology material (at least on the data compilation; I don’t know enough about the subject in general to comment on his conclusions) but he is not a very good philosopher and he is a bit of a provocateur.  

However, willingness to listen to a counter argument and admitting that it has merit (assuming you believe that it does) is the sign that one is genuinely listening and thinking about what you are saying. 

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I'm not a fan of Jordan Peterson.  I think he has some decent pure psychology material but he is not a very good philosopher and he is a bit of a provocateur.  

However, willingness to listen to a counter argument and admitting that it has merit (assuming you believe that it does) is the sign of a genuine thinker.  

It was only a matter of time

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yeah, there’s some genuine fucking thinking going on there.

Listening is better than not listening.  You have to admit that it’s a big step up from a lot of the discussions that we see these days.  

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

It was only a matter of time

What was only a matter of time?

• 1 month later...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/why-the-left-is-so-afraid-of-jordan-peterson/567110/

The left has an obvious and pressing need to unperson him; what he and the other members of the so-called “intellectual dark web” are offering is kryptonite to identity politics. There is an eagerness to attach reputation-destroying ideas to him, such as that he is a supporter of something called “enforced monogamy,” an anthropological concept referring to the social pressures that exist in certain cultures that serve to encourage marriage. He mentioned the term during a wide-ranging interview with a New York Times reporter, which led to the endlessly repeated falsehood that he believes that the government should be in the business of arranging marriages. There is also the inaccurate belief that he refuses to refer to transgender people by the gendered pronoun conforming to their identity. What he refuses to do is to abide by any laws that could require compelled speech.

There are plenty of reasons for individual readers to dislike Jordan Peterson. He’s a Jungian and that isn’t your cup of tea; he is, by his own admission, a very serious person and you think he should lighten up now and then; you find him boring; you’re not interested in either identity politics or in the arguments against it. There are many legitimate reasons to disagree with him on a number of subjects, and many people of good will do. But there is no coherent reason for the left’s obliterating and irrational hatred of Jordan Peterson. What, then, accounts for it?

Good article on Jordan Peterson from The Atlantic. The guy does seem to be misrepresented often and the subject of ridiculous criticisms, including in this thread above.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/why-the-left-is-so-afraid-of-jordan-peterson/567110/

Good article on Jordan Peterson from The Atlantic. The guy does seem to be misrepresented often and the subject of ridiculous criticisms, including in this thread above.

Jordan Peterson thinks that the existence of DNA was subconsciously revealed to ancient peoples because there exist old depictions of snakes having sex.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Jordan Peterson thinks that the existence of DNA was subconsciously revealed to ancient peoples because there exist old depictions of snakes having sex.

This would be an example of a misrepresentation of his.

Q: Hi Dr. Peterson, earlier you showed a picture of Fuxi and Nuwa.

Jordan Peterson (interrupts😞 Yeah! Right! (points to the person asking the question).

Q: …and Osiris and in your Maps of Meaning lecture you also explain that cultures around the world have these twin snakes that

Jordan Peterson (interrupts😞 Yeah, they are everywhere man!

Q: … yeah and so you mentioned that you believed this is a representation of DNA

Jordan Peterson (interrupts😞 You would bring that up too, Jesus what is it with you guys tonight? Hah. Well, yeah, no, I wouldn’t say that I believe that. I have my suspicions that that might be it, yeah because believe is too strong a word but those representations, are everywhere, and…Read this book…this is a good one. Um,..Now I have to remember the book. It is by an anthropologist who went down to the Amazon jungle and experimented intensively with ayahuasca. I think it is called The Cosmic Serpent. I think that is the name of the book. You could read that. There’s another one called Breaking Open The Head, which is also pretty damn interesting and there is something to those books. I mean The Cosmic Serpent kinda goes of on a bit of a tangent, I would say, although Breaking Open The Head is better. It seems to stay more constrained, but there is…We do not know the limits of our perception, especially under certain conditions and I think people have had intimations of DNA as the cosmic serpent forever. So…yeah…

But that is way out on the frontiers of my knowledge, right…I’m guessing in a dream-like way when I am making statements like that.

Q: … but you didn’t mention that you did believe in that they where sort of maybe some dreams and interpretations that might have emerged but I don’t see how we could have perceived DNA as it is.

Jordan Peterson: Right!

Q: [inaudible]

Jordan Peterson: We didn’t objectively, but I am not so sure we didn’t subjectively. But I mean it is very strange that these double helices in so many places and are often utilized as healing symbols with the snake, so…anyways like I said that’s…what do you call that…I am uh…it is not hypothesizing…it is one thing worse than that..speculating! Those are speculations. I am operating at the edge of my understanding, but our perceptions are very mutable and they can…we can see things under some conditions that you would not think that anyone could see, so…okay, yep.

The guy was essentially thinking out loud and said something kind of goofy. Unless he's claiming to be an expert on DNA, which I'm pretty sure he's not, I'm not really seeing how that should discredit him in the fields in which he is an expert, or at least claims to be.

46 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

This would be an example of a misrepresentation of his.

The guy was essentially thinking out loud and said something kind of goofy. Unless he's claiming to be an expert on DNA, which I'm pretty sure he's not, I'm not really seeing how that should discredit him in the fields in which he is an expert, or at least claims to be.

He sounds like he was having some Jungian stream of conciousness discussion. Personally, I find that archetype talk a little on the kooky side but I agree that people are misrepresenting what he said.

• Like 1

Peterson talks like an academic. If you're primed to find political gotchya moments, you'll find them but they won't be an honest representation of what he said. Likewise, if you find justification for your bigotry, you probably aren't listening either. I think he presents some valid criticism of academia and the culture as a whole even if I don't agree with every conclusion. His points about the misplaced role of identity in cultural discourse are well demonstrated in this thread.

• Like 1

Peterson talks like an academic. If you're primed to find political gotchya moments, you'll find them but they won't be an honest representation of what he said. Likewise, if you find justification for your bigotry, you probably aren't listening either. I think he presents some valid criticism of academia and the culture as a whole even if I don't agree with every conclusion. His points about the misplaced role of identity in cultural discourse are well demonstrated in this thread.

You’re doing it wrong. He’s old and white and conservative and male so he must be destroyed.

And he’s Canadian! Eww!
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

In every culture you have what are called "characters on the national stage." The United States has Sam Harris and Ben Shapiro, France has Bernard-Henri Levy (Michel Foucault came before him), Canada has Jordan Peterson and Irshad Manji, etc. 

Edited by hpslugga

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

as someone who is in active recovery, if all the collateral shit is true and his daughter keeps injecting her bullshit into this, this dude is in trouble...both now and in the future.  

he's a fiend...and i mean that in a very empathetic way...but he's rapidly accelerating down the drain.  and unless he and his daughter get over the fictitious stigma, it's going to be a sad ending.

• 4 months later...