Let’s talk cigars...

McCroskey

I used to smoke a lot of cigars.   Loved going to Tijuana and getting a taco and a cuban and a few beers and relaxing.  Spent a lot of dough on cigars. 

At the Michigan Rose Bowl  I was manning the grill at the hornfans tailgate.  I had my horse trailer full of beer and links. @Macanudo made the trip from Alaska.  He gave me a nice cigar.  I lit the thing, smoked it for about 10 minutes, said to myself "this is disgusting", threw the fucker down, and I haven't touched one since.   

It was 100% me, and had nothing to do with the fine stogie that the kind gentleman gave me. 

That particular emotion on that day has saved me a whole bunch of money since then, and has undoubtedly been better for my health. 

BTW, thanks Mac.  It was good to meet you that one time.  

The rest of you cats, keep enjoying your smoke.  

Did this thread not make the jump or did I just not find it? Either way, doing west coast zoom call (video off) the right way c5af9e0a480a74b1f3cad18070dc4a76.jpg

Was just looking for this thread earlier today.

Have recently gone all in with Cubans. Managed to build up a decent collection (about 300 or so sticks). My wife thought we should pick up new hobbies during COVID. Not sure this is what she meant!

cff02f63419c6771f552f075820fa3e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to marry into a Cuban family where one of the cousins is a semi retired minister of tourism or something like that.  

anyway this was her wedding present to me (it was full at the time). 

she also is kind enough to bring me a hundred or replacement cohibas a year. I’m not a big smoker so give most away to friends and customers. 

ED24EA0D-B874-435A-839A-13A04D925973.jpeg

9DB294A3-BFE1-4E6A-A109-1457D7C8C18B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Was just looking for this thread earlier today.

Have recently gone all in with Cubans. Managed to build up a decent collection (about 300 or so sticks). My wife thought we should pick up new hobbies during COVID. Not sure this is what she meant!

cff02f63419c6771f552f075820fa3e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the V cut? I've never had a V cutter?  My preference now for anything other than a toro is a punch

Have you had a punch-cut cigar "poop" on you yet? 

That's pretty much the defining moment when you decide whether you truly prefer a punch. 

I would encourage people to fiddle around with LFD's various chisel tips when looking for something new. Some people really like the V-cut with them, though I worried that it might cause "pooping" and didn't press my luck too often. 

20 minutes ago, JSB said:

How do you like the V cut? I've never had a V cutter?  My preference now for anything other than a toro is a punch

Punch man here. I've found cigars seem to hold together on a long smoke better with a properly punched end, meaning deep enough to create a good draw.

23 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Have you had a punch-cut cigar "poop" on you yet? 

That's pretty much the defining moment when you decide whether you truly prefer a punch. 

I would encourage people to fiddle around with LFD's various chisel tips when looking for something new. Some people really like the V-cut with them, though I worried that it might cause "pooping" and didn't press my luck too often. 

I have no idea what a "pooping" cigar is. I guess I've just been good at punching to avoid it. 

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I have no idea what a "pooping" cigar is. I guess I've just been good at punching to avoid it. 

Keep at it - you'll see eventually.

It's an unexpected buildup and discharge of tar as a result of many different factors. It happens more occasionally with punches and v-cuts, but is also thought to be a product of temperature fluctuations, storage condition, ambient temperature when smoking, smoking speed, draw strength, etc.

Too much to bother tracking or investigating - just keep spinning the roulette wheel, and may your period of ignorance on the subject be lengthy! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JSB said:

I’m still pretty green with my preferences but I love it so far.  I did a punch cut for awhile but this Colibri V-cutter was a game changer.  I also have a S cut for torpedos - didn’t like the V cut with those.  

On 7/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Keep at it - you'll see eventually.

It's an unexpected buildup and discharge of tar as a result of many different factors. It happens more occasionally with punches and v-cuts, but is also thought to be a product of temperature fluctuations, storage condition, ambient temperature when smoking, smoking speed, draw strength, etc.

Too much to bother tracking or investigating - just keep spinning the roulette wheel, and may your period of ignorance on the subject be lengthy! 

Never seen one of those in 25 years of lighting up.

Never seen one of those in 25 years of lighting up.

Same here. I used to be a 2-3 a week cigar smoker and I never experienced that. I now smoke one or two a year. And I always just bit a bit off the end. The cutters are for pussies.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Same here. I used to be a 2-3 a week cigar smoker and I never experienced that. I now smoke one or two a year. And I always just bit a bit off the end. The cutters are for pussies.

It tends to happen mostly with punches and smaller v-cuts, so I'm not at all surprised that biting the cap off has kept you from ever having tar build up and discharge. 

Just out of curiosity, what were you mostly smoking? I'm giggling at the prospect of someone biting the end off of a Davidoff. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

It tends to happen mostly with punches and smaller v-cuts, so I'm not at all surprised that biting the cap off has kept you from ever having tar build up and discharge. 

Just out of curiosity, what were you mostly smoking? I'm giggling at the prospect of someone biting the end off of a Davidoff. 

My favorite probably was the La Gloria Cubana in Robusto and Churchill sizes (yes, avatar does check out).  Davidoff's were nice too--i bought a bunch in Switzerland in the 90's--they were about $8 each back then.  I also smoked a bunch of Padrons from Nicaragua and Puros Indios from Honduras.  I was joking--sort of --on biting the ends.  I usually used a straight cutter that you put between your thumb and middle finger, but it was not unusual for me to just bite the end off.  Except for being a little untidy, I certainly never noticed a difference in how the cigar smoked.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I have gone to the Trilogy over a V cut.  Smoke is much cooler and I am able to pickup so much more of the flavor profile.

Highly recommend.

Might have to try that.  I used a regular ol' guillotine for a long time, but recently the wife (no pics) gave me a V-cut, which I am enjoying.  I used a punch a few times many moons ago, but wasn't impressed with the draw that it produced.

I was lucky enough to marry into a Cuban family where one of the cousins is a semi retired minister of tourism or something like that.  

anyway this was her wedding present to me (it was full at the time). 

she also is kind enough to bring me a hundred or replacement cohibas a year. I’m not a big smoker so give most away to friends and customers. 
ED24EA0D-B874-435A-839A-13A04D925973.thumb.jpeg.087def49e428b6ef998e8289ca1d9768.jpeg
9DB294A3-BFE1-4E6A-A109-1457D7C8C18B.thumb.jpeg.cf98216d2a0bf47933df7aaed7f3a0c3.jpeg

Need a new friend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time trying the Crux Bull and Bear.
This goes so well with coffee.
And it’s exquisite with a little bourbon cream in the coffee.
Very creamy cigar.
Crux’s entire line is great. Highly recommend
f0c6e007863498c814dfab8c3285a10a.jpg

Never had any of their cigars, will have to give them a try. Was thinking of maybe having a Drew Estates Java this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 6:13 PM, HouTex said:

This is kinda where I'm at. Hated waking up with the cat shit flavor in my mouth. An Arturo Fuente Maduro curly head for $1.00 at my local smoke shop was my favorite. Can't beat it for the price. Now, it's a couple of Cohiba cubans when we go to Cozumel.

CHIEF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Was a daily smoker about ten years ago. I preferred Tatuaje and Illusione, but collected several sticks from other brands. Now I pretty much just smoke Padron 64s or 26s but will occasionally pull out Delicias. I used to keep a tin of the Corticos around for when I didn't have much time, but I haven't seen them around in awhile.  

• Hook 'Em 2