Let’s talk cigars...

McCroskey

I inadvertently got hooked on these about 6-8 months ago...bought a small humidor and have been building a small collection ever since. I don’t smoke often...maybe a couple of times a month.

What are some of your go-to’s?

Lately I’ve liked Ashton Coronas, Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classics, and a Punch After Dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been cutting back quite a bit (too busy, also recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation) but I used to smoke 2-4 a week. 

In no particular order, my favorites are/were maduro Padrons of any price point, Davidoffs, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Anejo, Opus, La Flor Dominicana, and I'm probably forgetting a few. 

I like all vitolas from an A-size to a little dart like the WOAM, Padron 35, or Opus Pussycat, but I'm not much interested in anything with a ring gauge above about 50.

I like Cubans, but don't think they're worth the hassle to bother obtaining them myself. I'm perfectly happy with what Nicaragua and the DR have to offer. But I hate Hondurans. 

Join a cigar forum online. There are tons of them with all different personalities. Find one that feels like home and you won't regret it. 

• Like 1

I've been cutting back quite a bit (too busy, also recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation) but I used to smoke 2-4 a week. 
In no particular order, my favorites are/were maduro Padrons of any price point, Davidoffs, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Anejo, Opus, La Flor Dominicana, and I'm probably forgetting a few. 
I like all vitolas from an A-size to a little dart like the WOAM, Padron 35, or Opus Pussycat, but I'm not much interested in anything with a ring gauge above about 50.
I like Cubans, but don't think they're worth the hassle to bother obtaining them myself. I'm perfectly happy with what Nicaragua and the DR have to offer. But I hate Hondurans. 
Join a cigar forum online. There are tons of them with all different personalities. Find one that feels like home and you won't regret it. 

Definitely agree with you on the Cubans...although that said the right one can be damn good when you come across it.

I picked up 5 on a trip a couple months ago and smoked the first one yesterday for Father’s Day.

b6f7378b432b9f00f63c57c3ba69455d.heic

Romeo Y Juliettas reserva reals have been a go to $6-7 a stick.   Good, dependable, consistent smoke start to finish. On the medium to mild side I'd say.

The son turned me on to Ghurkas, and I've found the 15 and 18 year old aged sticks. nice but pricey @ $12 and up.  Bigger taste, medium to heavy flavor.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Padron Maduros, especially the 1926.

Fuente Opus X and any other limited release like God of Fire, etc.

Illusione Epernay.

Everything by Tatuaje.

I remember when the Opus X's were like a myth. You couldn't get em anywhere unless you had a guy, at the store you bought a lot of smokes from.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Illusione Epernay.

Everything by Tatuaje.

These (well, all of Illusione) were definitely overlooked in my earlier list. 

Same with much of Don Pepin Garcia's stuff, but he's probably come out with another 15-20 brands and blends since I last paid attention, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's since diluted himself into mediocrity. 

21 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Anyone ever buy cigars online? What sites are the best or is this just asinine to even consider?

It's a big box place but JR's has been pretty consistent as an online source. they have a huge store front on I95 south in the Va. N. Car. corridor.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I like Cubans, but don't think they're worth the hassle to bother obtaining them myself.

yeah, my FIL is actually Cuban, so every now and then some magically appear for me. But I agree with the sentiment.

A buddy sent me some stuff that was hand rolled by a guy in Little Italy in NYC that was top notch.

Buddy brought a box of these to a golf weekend. I’m not a huge aficionado but these are the best I’ve ever had. Smoked em down until I was burning my lips.

44d53ee9b51f8c5bc0ac93eadd61ef25.heic

Turns out they’re only available at one shop in Florida.

I know Drew Estate catches a lot of shit but these were awesome.

I always thought that Drew Estate's "real" cigars (not Acids, etc.) had a strange taste of plastic, or almost an artificial quality to them. I tried to like them, and went into each one with an open mind, but for all 5-10 of various blends and sizes I sampled, I just couldn't shake it. 

Nevertheless, good to hear you found something that trips your trigger. I'm sure that the shop that carries them is happy to ship them to you. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I love a good cigar, try any of the San Lotano’s or My Father’s. I just heard from two b&m stores that the San Lotano’s will only be available online, that sucks cause I enjoy buying from guys I know at these stores. One of the My Father sticks is labeled “The Judge”, it’s a damn fine cigar!

I picked up the habit a couple of years ago when my oldest son and I jumped on a plane to Freeport when my divorce was final.  We landed, got settled in and then found a shop that had Cuban Montecristos.  Really nice and mild.  Smoked many that week.  Upon returning home, I got a humidor and then have stocked it with many types.  A lot of the fun is trying different ones for the flavor and what you like vs others.  My "go to" right now that I have a whole box of is an inexpensive stick called Baccarat from Honduras.  I really like the taste.  I get the 5x50 size.  Fat enough for a cool draw and short enough that you aren't smoking for an hour to finish it like a Churchill.  

• Like 3

On 7/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, Atxracer said:

Just got back from Cabo and was able to bring these babies back due to the only good thing Obama did (other than that Tax credit for electric vehicles which got you a "free" golf cart).IMG_0126.jpg

Damn!  How much did you drop on those?

Is it possible to bring back to life dried out cigars? Buddy went fishing in Cuba awhile back and brought me some cigars. I smoked a couple and they kicked my ass so I didn't think of protecting them the way I should have. Now I am wanting to try them again and they are pretty dry. Are they toast, or can I salvage them?

3 minutes ago, JohnnyShotgun said:

Is it possible to bring back to life dried out cigars? Buddy went fishing in Cuba awhile back and brought me some cigars. I smoked a couple and they kicked my ass so I didn't think of protecting them the way I should have. Now I am wanting to try them again and they are pretty dry. Are they toast, or can I salvage them?

Yes, potentially.  Put them in a humidor and let them soak up some moisture for a few weeks. Not a guarantee, but I've had a few brought back from the dead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, potentially.  Put them in a humidor and let them soak up some moisture for a few weeks. Not a guarantee, but I've had a few brought back from the dead.

They won't be good as new, unfortunately. 

Take your time and gradually build up the humidity, otherwise you risk having them split due to the innards humidifying faster than the wrapper. 

9 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

They won't be good as new, unfortunately. 

Take your time and gradually build up the humidity, otherwise you risk having them split due to the innards humidifying faster than the wrapper. 

Yeah very good point.  It's a crap shoot at best.

19 hours ago, McCroskey said:
On 7/14/2018 at 11:39 PM, Watashi said:
Damn!  How much did you drop on those?

In Cabo? I’m saying $150. Cheaper in Mexico than anywhere else I’ve been.

$150 for 2 boxes of Partagas?  Please sign me up for that, lol.  I think they were 24 bucks stick.  Went to a few different places recommended and I was positive were legit, did some negotiating and that's were it landed.   

50 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

$150 for 2 boxes of Partagas?  Please sign me up for that, lol.  I think they were 24 bucks stick.  Went to a few different places recommended and I was positive were legit, did some negotiating and that's were it landed.   

At $24 a stick you need to take care of those, keep em real nice.....

In hindsight I’m sure I’m way off. I’ve been down there twice and both times were just before you could bring back as much as you want. Plus, I only guessed 25 cigars.

We were buying Cohiba’s and MonteCristo Habana’s for like $5-$6 a stick. Smoked a lot of them when we were there but only had the guts to bring back about 4 or 5.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, Atxracer said:

Just got back from Cabo and was able to bring these babies back due to the only good thing Obama did (other than that Tax credit for electric vehicles which got you a "free" golf cart).IMG_0126.jpg

Numbero 2 is my all time favorite. 

Good fucking haul

So a buddy and fellow Longhorn let me know about this thread. I'm class of 97 and 99 and am a partial owner of a cigar company called Black Label Trading Company. Our founder is also a fellow Longhorn. He and his wife live full time in Esteli, Nicaragua running our factory, Oveja Negra (Black Sheep). We are a boutique cigar brand that specializes in medium/full to full bodied cigars. A lot of the brands mentioned here are great and are big name companies. Think of us as the Jones Soda to say, Drew Estate's Coca Cola. The current issue of Cigar Press features our factory and my partners, so if you're interested in a full bodied boutique cigar experience, check out the article and our sticks. Long Ashes and Hook 'Em!

Edited by Irwin M Fletcher

Just returned from one week in Havana and took a day trip Vinales (tobacco farm).  Brought back a box of Cohiba Robustos and 25 non-banded from the tobacco farm.  I'll try and post of few pics later.  It was a great trip and it did feel like a trip back in time.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobcat1995 said:

Just returned from one week in Havana and took a day trip Vinales (tobacco farm).  Brought back a box of Cohiba Robustos and 25 non-banded from the tobacco farm.  I'll try and post of few pics later.  It was a great trip and it did feel like a trip back in time.    

God I love you, and I'm not ashamed to admit it....  How was the trip ??

Cuba was great!  The reason to travel: "support the Cuban people".   Flew there on Southwest and stayed for 7 days.  Most hotels have wifi but you have to buy a wifi card.  We went, or I should say the wife and kids went, 7 days with no wifi.  IT WAS AWESOME!!!  Stayed in an AirBnB that was in Central Havana.  We paid $100 a night for a 3 bedroom apt, with A/C in every bedroom.  Our tour guide said we were staying in a true Cuban neighborhood.  We did not see other tourist until we walked over to "Old Havana".  We felt very safe where we stayed and we walked everywhere.  We did see a "Santeria" chicken sacrifice about two doors down from where were staying.  I thought they were cooking the chicken for dinner but our guide corrected us on the ritual.  I wish I was better with a camera, I can only imagine what pics could be captured walking around the city.  Food was better than expected!!  Alcohol was cheap.  Mojitos were good.  I also brought back some rum!! People were very friendly!!  Classic Cars everywhere.  I called all the tourist locations "car shows".  Every time time we stopped at a tourist location there were 15-20 classic cars full of other tourist.  Spoiler : most of these cars now have diesel engines.  

FYI, no US credit or debit cards are accepted in Cuba, its straight cash.  Took more than I needed so we didn't run out.  Had to convert from US dollars to Cuban CUC.

If I can figure out how to post pics, Ill upload my album.  Let me know if you have questions.      

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 4:59 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

How did you ever have anything dry out. You live in the same state as me and I've never seen the humidity below 8000%

• 1 month later...

I met one of my vendors for lunch today in the Colony, and decided to check out the new CI store there next to Hard Eights since I was right there.  I only had about 15 minutes to check it out, but damn, that is a great place.  Big selection, good prices, indoor lounge and bar and a patio. Once the temp drops just a bit more, I plan on cutting out of the office one afternoon to go sit on their patio and have a smoke with the smell of BBQ wafting through the air.  I recommend any of you guys in Dallas check it out.  

I know there was another Havana Lounge or something similar that was close to opening (signage up at least) right there as well.  Not sure why they called it off, but I imagine they are kicking themselves.  CI was packed on a Wednesday at 1pm.  Maybe they called it off because they got word that CI was building a shop... 

On July 9, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Atxracer said:

I thought rescuing the economy and preventing another Great Depression was kind of a big deal. 

I like Nicaraguan cigars. My go to is the Mi Amor by La Aroma de Cuba. I tried a lot of different cigars and kept a journal until I figured out what I like. The best I've had is the Serie V Melanio by Oliva but the Mi Amor is close and probably a little more consistent. I don't smoke a wide variety of cigars anymore. I mostly stick to those two (no pun intended).

Speaking of smoking a cigar down until it burns your lips, I've joked that someone should come up with a cigar-sized roach clip. 

Just use a wooden toothpick. 

And the journal is something that I recommend to everyone who is interested in getting into cigars. Tape the bands in for easy reference and write down whatever comes to mind about the cigar. You'll find a pattern more quickly than you think. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I smoke a few cigars a month.  Of the Cubans, I like Partagas, Monte Cristo, and Cohiba (although I think the price is not justified for the Cohiba and I like Partagas just as much), but my favorite is the H. Upmann Connoisseur A.  That is a fantastic cigar.  Of the non Cubans, I like many of the ones mentioned already, but my preferred is the Avo XO, either the intermezzo or the legato size.  They have a nice flavor and easy draw, and they are mild so you can smoke one in the afternoon and not have it interfere with your dinner. 

Edited by Guest