wc day 6

Hagbard Celine

Just now, PittsburghTiger said:

I think by the end of the tournament we will all be tired of the rules expert brought in for each VAR use to tell us exactly what we can see for ourselves. 

This isn't like the NFL last season and it's corkscrew rationalization for what is/isn't a catch.

Stop watching Fox and you won't have these problems.

41 minutes ago, TxArch said:

This is why I don't bet on sports.

I had a friend asking me for any tips I might have for betting on the World Cup, because I follow soccer a bit more than he does, especially outside of Europe. (And I think that I've watched more games so far and the friendlies beforehand.)

I don't bet because I can't afford to lose and I know that I'm most likely to lose. Here's our exchange.

World_Cup_betting_tips.jpg

There is no way to really know how to bet. 

I was sure that once Salah was back, they'd beat Russia handily.

NOPE!

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Putin is going to be angrier than a Red McCombs for not being allowed to weigh in on that replay.

Actually, Putin is acutely aware of optics.

I think that he understands that a foul called OUTSIDE the box that gets overturned via VAR to award a PK against the host country diverts any attention that critics might have about the fix being in. And it also becomes the topic of conversation rather than how a bunch of 30-somethings (some who dye their hair brown to look younger) are running around like 18 year-olds who have been training in La Paz for the last 12 months.

The VAR ruling helps wash some of the stain off of this tournament.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

This new Russian team is not like the old Russian teams. They play a disciplined game and have no mercy. 

Plus, they played attacking football. 

I expected them to park the bus for 90+ minutes, but they continued to press for more goals. 

As much as I wanted them to go 0-3 in matches without scoring a goal, they have been very entertaining to watch. I'm not going to pull for them in the knockout stages mind you, but I am certain that I will be entertained whenever they are onscreen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

This new Russian team is not like the old Russian teams. They play a disciplined game and have no mercy. 

Well, the no mercy team Russia is part of their M.O.  It just doesn't always work out for them in the end, which will likely be repeated this rodeo.