2019 WR Jordan Whittington

Machinator

On 12/21/2018 at 3:45 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Haven’t seen it mentioned but his uncle Arthur Whittington played RB for the Oakland Raiders for a few years including in a Super Bowl.

clesrly he could play for any school in the country and damn near every one wanted him.  

Yep, played against his uncle and dad in HS, there's some awesome genetics running in that family line.  There were also some Blackwell brothers who played for Cuero back in the day.....responsible for at least 2 of my HS concussions.

He looks like he would make a pretty damn good RB to me. Roughly 6'- 6'1", roughly 200 lbs is well suited to RB, could easily add 10-15 lbs. His patience and allowing blocks to set up then his burst reminded me of Leveon Bell. And obviously RB depth is a concern for us.

But those plays at the end of the first half show elite receiver skills as well. Hopefully it will sort itself out. Glad he is a Horn   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:05 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

He looks like he would make a pretty damn good RB to me. Roughly 6'- 6'1", roughly 200 lbs is well suited to RB, could easily add 10-15 lbs. His patience and allowing blocks to set up then his burst reminded me of Leveon Bell. And obviously RB depth is a concern for us.

But those plays at the end of the first half show elite receiver skills as well. Hopefully it will sort itself out. Glad he is a Horn   

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

• 7 months later...

This was in The Athletic:

Jordan Whittington’s absence looms large

The Longhorns coaching staff clearly expected Whittington to contribute in 2019. That was clear back in the spring, when the true freshman was getting reps with the first-team as an early enrollee. He’s been out since aggravating a high school groin injury against Louisiana Tech in Week 1. It had bothered him throughout preseason camp, too.

While the Longhorns staff certainly should be held accountable for failing to consistently develop game plans maximizing the talent of players who are available, UT’s offense has been restrained by not having who could have been its most versatile offensive player.

Just look at Baylor. It’s difficult to imagine Saturday’s contest finishing with the same result had the Bears not boasted a player of Denzel Mims’ caliber. He finished with seven receptions for 125 yards and a touchdown. Chris Platt (four catches, 66 yards) was the lone other Baylor player to register more than 50 yards receiving.

Whittington could have made a difference in this offense. Perhaps he was expected to. With one game left, it’s unclear if he’ll get a chance to display that this season. When asked if Whittington “can’t go,” Herman replied, “That’s correct.”

As for whether Whittington is done for the year, Herman said: “Honestly, I don’t know. It’s week-by-week. We’re trying to push him through. I think he got another injection to help with the swelling. … The surgery itself was very successful. Now it’s a matter of just getting the swelling, the internal swelling, down to the point where he feels like he’s fully functional.”

FROM THE ATHLETIC ARTICLE

" ... UT’s offense has been restrained by not having who could have been its most versatile offensive player.

Just look at Baylor. It’s difficult to imagine Saturday’s contest finishing with the same result had the Bears not boasted a player of Denzel Mims’ caliber."

In that article, not sure how the Mims example supported the previous point.  Mims isn't versatile - he has -6 yards rushing for his career - and he's a senior.  Pretty different from Whittington. (Maybe he plays different receiver positions,and that's what he's referring to?) 

If the author is simply saying that Whittington could have made an impact this season, that's plausible, but to refer to one specific game and say "that versatile true freshman would definitely have made a difference" and refer to a pure receiver and a senior, is ... odd.

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The injuries have been massive this year.  Having Whittington, Floyd, and Derrian Brown may have made a big difference.  Regardless, we look like crap from the outside.

In year three your season isn’t supposed to hinge  on the contributions of true freshmen.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The rehab schedule for Whittington was very ambitious. It’s not surprising he’s still having pain. 

I'd let that shit rest and heal til spring practices. Kid can be disappointed and all, but that needs to heal fully before he re injures it juking some defenders. His brother sees the bigger picture too, I'm sure. 

• 3 weeks later...