Space force - the 6th military branch

bernorange

• 1 year later...

So will Space Force be a separate "branch" but still kinda kick-up to the Air Force kinda like how the Marine Corps is technically wrapped in with the Navy?  

And since the logo is a blatant rip-off from Star Trek, almost as if the people doing it were just trolling Trump since they knew he wouldn't catch up until it was too late...please tell me that Space Force will have an expeditionary attachment...We could call them.  Oh, I dunno...Colonial Marines.  And they could have an initial C.O., maybe a Lieutenant Gorman and his NCO, Sgt. Apone and Cpl. Hicks.  And sort of fill out the first few important roles with grunts like Vasquez, Hudson, Drake, Frost, and Spunkmeyer.  

How would that be Mister President?  Would that be good?  You fucking imbecile.  The Pentagon is openly mocking you and you're too thick to see it.  

On 6/23/2018 at 6:03 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

To be honest, we could use a cyberspace force, because whatever we got now, ain’t cutting it.

We have one - https://www.cybercom.mil  It is a unified command that came out of Stratcom after it was created in 2008. 

And they read what you wrote about them not cutting it - they are not amused. 

18 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

We have one - https://www.cybercom.mil  It is a unified command that came out of Stratcom after it was created in 2008. 

They fucking shouldn't be amused. After we started throwing rocks with stuxnet, we're likely to get a fucking boulder in our windshield, cyber TXtow style. Their hacking tools were released by a group called The Shadow Brokers who made the NSA look bitchmade. Its gonna be a fucking kerfuffle when we get our comeuppance

On 6/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, Dolemite said:

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/trump-space-force-could-create-1-billion-dollar-industry-14630827

So has it in the 1.5 years since that article was written?

Edited by Homercles

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So will Space Force be a separate "branch" but still kinda kick-up to the Air Force kinda like how the Marine Corps is technically wrapped in with the Navy?  

And since the logo is a blatant rip-off from Star Trek, almost as if the people doing it were just trolling Trump since they knew he wouldn't catch up until it was too late...please tell me that Space Force will have an expeditionary attachment...We could call them.  Oh, I dunno...Colonial Marines.  And they could have an initial C.O., maybe a Lieutenant Gorman and his NCO, Sgt. Apone and Cpl. Hicks.  And sort of fill out the first few important roles with grunts like Vasquez, Hudson, Drake, Frost, and Spunkmeyer.  

How would that be Mister President?  Would that be good?  You fucking imbecile.  The Pentagon is openly mocking you and you're too thick to see it.  

What are they gonna name the elite unit?  Space Seals doesn't sound right. I vote for Voltron. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah it's technically a seperate branch, but it's just like the Marines. Marines are still considered a seperate branch but for funding purposes are a dept of the Navy. Space Force is a dept of the Air Force. That symbol is technically been used for years though, not a rip-off: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Operations_Badge

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

That thing has been a flop since its creation. The government desperately needs to figure out how to build out an organization with elite operators without forcing those operators to succumb to a standard military structure. Plus there is a constant brain drain due to the talented ones being poached by the private sector.

It should probably be a separate branch made up of mostly reservists with much looser rules and higher pay.

Edited by F250
  • Like 1

It's really too bad. This could be one of the greatest promotions or catalysts for this generation of kids around the world to get more excited about STEM and our future in space.

We obviously have space programs, and some great private sector work being done, but it has a lot more visibility and impact when a country like the US creates a branch, has an iconic logo and uniform, and an intelligent leader capable of presenting a really kickass vision. We have 1 of the 3.

14 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

It's really too bad. This could be one of the greatest promotions or catalysts for this generation of kids around the world to get more excited about STEM and our future in space.

We obviously have space programs, and some great private sector work being done, but it has a lot more visibility and impact when a country like the US creates a branch, has an iconic logo and uniform, and an intelligent leader capable of presenting a really kickass vision. We have 1 of the 3.

What, were you expecting Trump to have a JFK moment?

On 6/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, Dolemite said:

Trump's 'Space Force' Could Launch a $1 Trillion Industry, Morgan Stanley Says

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/trump-space-force-could-create-1-billion-dollar-industry-14630827

That brief article doesn't go into the from "where" the profits could arise.  I know I posted about this in the past year or two, maybe on TOS, but I was a fireside chat of sorts headed by Ross Perot Jr and AT&T top legal counsel David McAtee.  Perot spoke about the new space race being about mining asteroids orbiting the sun in our solar system.  You could probably expand that to exoplanets of Jupiter, etc.  Asteroids likely contain abundant precious elements and potentially other naturally existing substances that could be used in new energy and energy storage technology.  Energy and energy applications is where the trillion(s) would come from.

Obviously, you need a new generation of space craft to exit and enter our atmosphere, and to navigate in, around, and on surfaces beyond earth.  That's where this all could be headed.

I joked in the trump 2020 thread about the new Space Force logo resembling the shape of the mythical Lockheed TR3B air/spacecraft.  Maybe there is some truth in jest, but keeping the avionics/propulsion tech secret potentially is a trillion plus dollar advantage.

Spoiler

space-force-logo_custom-db8ba5f76c4746f1

213a6de0947137862acea7c98349eeef.jpg

Lockheed's mythical triangle craft supposedly incorporates a mini-nuclear powered engine to highly accelerate a magnetized fluid in a closed circular path in the middle of the triangle.  The supposed result is the generation of a toroidal magnetic field with a gravity reducing effect.  Thrusters are under each tip of the triangle to for vertical lift, along with a side thruster for horizontal motion. 

In principle, this thing could rise straight up and out of our atmosphere into space and re-enter in a controlled vertical drop with a new payload gathered from the solar system.  If Elon, Perot Jr, other billionaires are angling to mine asteroids in a new era of innovation, technology and energy use, it's got to incorporate this new kind of space avionics.

Back in post WWII cold war years, we were already developing mini-nuclear engine powered inter-ballistic missiles.  German scientists during WWII were also already investigating the use of toroidal magnetic fields for propulsion.  So this shit isn't completely insane.  Periodically take a look at Lockheed Martin's twitterfeed.  ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

So in space we can still see them scream?

Dude, there's no atmosphere up there.  Screams don't matter.  However, with these badass Ivanka-designed uniforms, you will be able to hear their camo.  

• 9 months later...

I know it's really hard to reel back in a Pentagon program once it's been launched, but we have to end this shit before it gets outta hand.  The Air Force did a perfectly fine job protecting our space interests and security.  

Y'all know we could easily make millions of dollars starting a Service Academy for Space Force?  I mean, we won't start anything, we'll just collect donations to get it started so that it can be on level ground with USAFA, USNA, USMA, USMMA, and USCGA.  We'll house it in San Francisco and it's metonym nickname like West Point or Annapolis will be "Starfleet."  To get the initial designs off the ground, we are asking fellow patriots to help us raise $1.0mm by 2022.  Click here to help today! 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know it's really hard to reel back in a Pentagon program once it's been launched, but we have to end this shit before it gets outta hand.  The Air Force did a perfectly fine job protecting our space interests and security.  

Y'all know we could easily make millions of dollars starting a Service Academy for Space Force?  I mean, we won't start anything, we'll just collect donations to get it started so that it can be on level ground with USAFA, USNA, USMA, USMMA, and USCGA.  We'll house it in San Francisco and it's metonym nickname like West Point or Annapolis will be "Starfleet."  To get the initial designs off the ground, we are asking fellow patriots to help us raise $1.0mm by 2022.  Click here to help today! 

This is a good framing - we didn't have a formal air force until we had waged multiple air wars and it was clear the Army needed to spin them out. While we're almost certainly going to get to that point with space flight, we're closer to the Wright Flier than we are the Enola Gay in terms of operational scope.

Just seems like it's putting the cart before the horse right now