Watch Sub Category: Straps

noharleyyet

Anyone else addicted? Hornback Dark Brown/Matching Stitch
42181276434_93917898eb_z.jpg by

That thing is beautiful.

I feel like the Panerai world lends so much better to different straps. Plus the ease of changing them helps.

Here is my leftover haul from about 4 watches ago...never have got around to selling them.

8274c6e14701392bbeff953a3380ad97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a place they recommend to buy bands from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on what you are looking for

I like Crown and Buckle...check out Barton Bands as well for a Austin brand.

Best bet is to follow those on IG and then other band sites and makers will pop up and you can pick between a ton of really cool makers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lonestarguido said:

Depends on what you are looking for

I like Crown and Buckle...check out Barton Bands as well for a Austin brand.

Best bet is to follow those on IG and then other band sites and makers will pop up and you can pick between a ton of really cool makers

I second Crown and Buckle.  Great Nato's.  I think I've bought at least 15 from them.  It can be addicting.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the perlon on the Seiko Cocktail.  It's light (and thin), just a tad stretchy, dries quickly, you secure it like a braided belt (no being annoyed that the correct "hole" is between where two holes actually are in the strap), and it's finally the right strap for that particular watch.  The watch is too big/tall to play like a dress watch.  The perlon is slightly snazzy but definitely casual which fits it perfectly.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:09 PM, TXs said:

black pants and white socks - youre killing me smalls

I really shouldn't give a shit but if I have multiple high end watches with 20+ ancillary high end bands to go with them...do you really think I 1) wear black pants to anything other than a black tie affair or a funeral....and 2) own a single pair of white f'ing tube socks? 

apologize that my socks have some funky foot patterns bro....prob some weird happy sock type shit my wife buys me from time to time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 11:07 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I need to try my hand at making some watch bands. How much do y'all ballers pay for a high end leather watch band? I can probably make you one for the cost of the skin or portion of skin.

Considering I own 2 Isofrane straps, probably too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Need help. Not a watch person. 

Buying kids the Verizon gizmo watch to track and call them. It comes with a shitty band. I will replace immediately. 

Was thinking nylon or canvas. Now that I know what a nato strap is, I like the idea of the strap against skin vs the watch back. 

So has anyone had issues with a nato strap fitting between the watch face and the spring pins?

are all spring pins alike?  Or are some more durable than others?

for Barton, anyone have opinions on their regular nylon vs the jetson nylon?

or with kids should I go with silicone that will tear under easier if the watch gets hung up somehow while they are playing, or non nato for same reason?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

First I would not get a Nato.  Just a lot of extra strap that the kid has to mess with. I keep my Submariner on a cheap military grade strap that goes under both spring pins just like a Nato but also has a traditional buckle. Here is a link and thta website has other straps. However I don't know if they are still in business but you can see other straps

https://westcoastime.com/military-field.html

Another link with lots of straps - I have the Maratec Mil strap for my Sub. No idea of how good/bad the website is - found it with a search

https://countycomm.com/collections/watch-bands/products/maratac-mil-series-bands

As far as spring pins - have other Maratecs on a Seiko dive watch and stuff like that. No issues. The  beauty of the under Nato or the mil strap is you can loose a spring pin and not the watch. Rolex claims their pins are better but who knows. Your main issue may be removing the old band or strap. I have a "classic" Sub so I have holes on the lugs for pushing the pins out. A lot of newer watches have "no holes" so you need a tool to get the pins out to take the old strap off. Looking at a picture of the Gizmo - no holes but I kinda think it may look good with a Maratec. The one issue that does occur to me is that the kid's wrist is small so you may have to trim any type of strap to get the holes to fit

How big are the kids' wrists? A NATO band can be cut down and a soldering iron or your wife's hair straightener can be used to seal the nylon. I had issues as a kid with the rubber watch straps making me break out. Not sure if I do now because why bother? It's probably one of those things kids are more likely to have problems with, so it can't hurt to go with something else.

I have the traditional nato straps from both countycomm/Maratec and Barton. The Maratec straps are at least ten years old and have held up fantastically. I wear my watch everywhere (work, beach, finishing, pool, waterpark). The Barton straps are new, but seem to be of good quality. 

In regards to your question on "too much tension" being placed on the springs, I haven't really had any issues. The one time I did have one come out I had hit my wrist while whitewater rafting very hard. The spring came out, but do the the design of the nato strap the watch stayed attached to my wrist. You'll need to verify the size of the strap, most likely it'll be 18mm.

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher

Here's another vote for Maratac straps. I prefer the simplicity of the 2-ring Zulu. I use those on my Seiko and on my beater Timex. I also have an oyster bracelet for the Seiko, but it stays on the Zulu most of the time. Very comfortable, and I've never had any issue with springs popping out. I also like that you can get them with brushed stainless buckles or black buckles, which they call "low light", so you can match the hardware with stainless or black watch cases.

• 1 month later...