2019 DE T'Vondre Sweat

Machinator

A lot of high schools lift programs are superset, full body workouts.  They'll target five different muscle groups rapidly in a 30-45 minute period.  It's good for conditioning but I don't think it's good for building muscle.  So most guys are "beginners" when they get to college.  A beginner can expect to grow muscle more rapidly than the average person.

Having said all that, human beings cannot add more than a few pounds of muscle per month.  3 lbs of muscle in one month would be a lot.  Which leaves several options.

1. Guys like Sweat weren't measured accurately before showing up on campus.

2. Guys are adding a lot of fat and water weight in addition to the muscle gains.

3. Guys are using performance enhancing drugs (even then it wouldn't account for 30 lbs in two months)

All of those could be true, but #2 has to be true.  When you see that guys put on that much weight, most of it is not muscle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Put it in the Yancy thread, but though I'd drop it here, too:

EAaG54oXoAAKfyi?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6bIWsAE4flv?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6_mXsAIy7WY?format=png&name=360x360

Lulz. Sweat wasn’t 250 lbs when he finished HS and he has a huge frame.

These are the same dumbasses that think Bobby Brown looking like the pillsbury doughboy at 330 lbs means he’s going to be a beast.

51 minutes ago, fellside said:

A lot of high schools lift programs are superset, full body workouts.  They'll target five different muscle groups rapidly in a 30-45 minute period.  It's good for conditioning but I don't think it's good for building muscle.  So most guys are "beginners" when they get to college.  A beginner can expect to grow muscle more rapidly than the average person.

Having said all that, human beings cannot add more than a few pounds of muscle per month.  3 lbs of muscle in one month would be a lot.  Which leaves several options.

2. Guys are adding a lot of fat and water weight in addition to the muscle gains.

3. Guys are using performance enhancing drugs (even then it wouldn't account for 30 lbs in two months)

All of those could be true, but #2 has to be true.  When you see that guys put on that much weight, most of it is not muscle.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

People who saw Sweat in-person in the fall said he was closer to 280.

30-40 lbs since last fall is doable without PEDs. My brother hit his growth spurt in the spring of his freshman year playing for a top-10 FBS team and went from 200 to 235 in a semester. I’m 99% certain he wasn’t juicing.  

20 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

30-40 lbs since last fall is doable without PEDs. My brother hit his growth spurt in the spring of his freshman year playing for a top-10 FBS team and went from 200 to 235 in a semester. I’m 99% certain he wasn’t juicing.  

No one is doubting that.  We're discussion going from 250-320 and we're discussing Orlando's claims that Texas can put on 30 lbs in two months.

Just now, fellside said:

No one is doubting that.  We're discussion going from 250-320 and we're discussing Orlando's claims that Texas can put on 30 lbs in two months.

Neither the 250 nor the 320 are verified and are both likely incorrect. 

The other, it can’t be 30 lbs of muscle in that amount of time, that’d be 1/2 lb every day. There may be some hyperbole happening there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fellside said:

I think 30 lbs in two months is doable. It won’t be pure muscle, but it’s doable. And if you’ll notice, this conversation has taken many turns. I was responding to the bot’s post about Sweat weighing closer to 280 last fall. I’m saying 280 to 320 in 6-8 months is very doable. We on the same page? 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other, it can’t be 30 lbs of muscle in that amount of time, that’d be 1/2 lb every day. There may be some hyperbole happening there. 

This

No doubt he's put on weight, and yeah, if we're talking 50 plus pounds, it probably isn't all muscle. A couple things to consider though:

1.) If he is listed at 6'4" 320lbs on the official roster, he is 6'3" and maybe 300lbs. All sports teams do that.

2.) He absolutely won't be playing at 320 if he does work his way on the field this year. Linemen don't retain the weight they pack on in the off season after fall camp and into the season. Loss of 10+ pounds over the course of the season is normal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

With the way this coaching staff stresses proper hydration, there is no doubt most of these weights include water. Not knowing when the weights are taken, but usually the best time to weigh someone is right after the get up in the morning.

I also laugh at the aggy who said Sweat would barely be able to play 2-3 snaps this year. No fuckstick. he's going to RS and not play any snaps this year, because Texas RS's their linemen now.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I also laugh at the aggy who said Sweat would barely be able to play 2-3 snaps this year. No fuckstick. he's going to RS and not play any snaps this year, because Texas RS's their linemen now.

Do you even The 4 Game Rule, bro?

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve seen a lot of muscle put on South Austin’s mom in one night.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herman said in his post-NSD1 conference that he thought Sweat could play early. I think he could see snaps (while redshirting) in the back half of the season.

Not possible. Carson redshirted and didn’t play all last year, therefore every DL must redshirt by not playing at all (except for Coburn and Ojomo of course). 

2 hours ago, fellside said:

Yep, you've got it right.  He mostly put on fat and water, with some increase in muscle mass and probably a large degree of strength.  Strength and muscle mass are obviously highly correlated, but you can add a lot more strength than muscle depending on how you train.  See powerlifters vs bodybuilders.  

Edited by gurt

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean it’s a valid question, how does someone gain that much weight since December all natural? I would say this is the quickest I’ve seen yancy do that so it’s an exception and not the rule. 

Living rent free in aggy head though haha.

The long and short of it is, there's no way to know how much a person can actually gain sans PEDs. There's just way too much variability. For example:

In one study, a group of 66 people trained their legs three days a week for a total of four months. At the end of the study, the researchers analyzed the training logs of each subject, and found no difference in training intensity, volume, or adherence to the program. Despite this, there were wide differences in muscle growth from person to person.

“At the end of the training, the subjects fell rather neatly into three groups,” explains David Epstein in his book The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance. “Those whose thigh muscle fibers grew 50 percent in size; those whose fibers grew 25 percent; and those who had no increase in muscle size at all.

This is one of the reasons why it is vitally important when recruiting kids whom you believe need to add a lot of mass to get to know their families, delve into some history, and get a general idea of the genetic propensity to add mass (or not).

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Linemen don't retain the weight they pack on in the off season after fall camp and into the season. Loss of 10+ pounds over the course of the season is normal.

As well as intentional.  They know these big guys vacillate in weight between seasons

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The long and short of it is, there's no way to know how much a person can actually gain sans PEDs. There's just way too much variability. For example:

This is one of the reasons why it is vitally important when recruiting kids whom you believe need to add a lot of mass to get to know their families, delve into some history, and get a general idea of the genetic propensity to add mass (or not).

i added my genetic mass to your mom's vagina last night.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

As well as any congenital health related items.  I'm looking at you cardiomyopathy.

Hard to say what the max muscle mass gain is while still “coloring inside the lines.” A middle-aged woman can put on about a pound of muscle mass in a month of training. Gains in muscle mass are dependent on a number of factors, many of which are only now being understood. Meal frequency in general is better higher, but each meal needs to trigger a leucine threshold, and the refractory period for the state induced is not entirely defined. Androgens like DHT boost weight gain, in some studies by as much as 1kg (2 lbs) per month. Teenage men have some of the highest natural androgen levels of anyone on the planet. Also, a 6’5” man with a wide frame has a lot more opportunity to increase muscle mass in absolute terms than a 5’3” woman. I could believe 4 lbs/month lean mass added, but would find over 10 straining credulity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Put it in the Yancy thread, but though I'd drop it here, too:

EAaG54oXoAAKfyi?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6bIWsAE4flv?format=jpg&name=360x360EAaG6_mXsAIy7WY?format=png&name=360x360

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's been two months since he arrived on campus.

So this argument is based on the premise that he gained 35 lbs between “high school” and December. Zero lbs from December to May. Then 35 lbs from May until now?

Edited by SquishMitten

7 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Hard to say what the max muscle mass gain is while still “coloring inside the lines.” A middle-aged woman can put on about a pound of muscle mass in a month of training. Gains in muscle mass are dependent on a number of factors, many of which are only now being understood. Meal frequency in general is better higher, but each meal needs to trigger a leucine threshold, and the refractory period for the state induced is not entirely defined. Androgens like DHT boost weight gain, in some studies by as much as 1kg (2 lbs) per month. Teenage men have some of the highest natural androgen levels of anyone on the planet. Also, a 6’5” man with a wide frame has a lot more opportunity to increase muscle mass in absolute terms than a 5’3” woman. I could believe 4 lbs/month lean mass added, but would find over 10 straining credulity. 

this,  I'd love to see before and after pics.  30-40 lbs in 7 months sure. maybe, not pure mass.  15lbs a month, maybe if noob gains and crazy caloric surplus.  well trained athletes gains slow over time, but ive seen some great noob gains in my 25 years of training,  that includes senior year to freshman in college  so a big 6'5 kid hitting a late spurt, with college level feeding and training i'd expect to see some good mass.  a seasoned trained vet  not so much.

plus cell tech :D

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

this,  I'd love to see before and after pics.  30-40 lbs in 7 months sure. maybe, not pure mass.  15lbs a month, maybe if noob gains and crazy caloric surplus.  well trained athletes gains slow over time, but ive seen some great noob gains in my 25 years of training,  that includes senior year to freshman in college  so a big 6'5 kid hitting a late spurt, with college level feeding and training i'd expect to see some good mass.  a seasoned trained vet  not so much.

plus cell tech :D

Best I could do - T'Vondre before his commitment:

0090192-fogu-1280x720.jpg

T'Vondre 4 days ago:

It's hard to see where the weight went. Dude isn't Bobby Brown sloppy.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:45 PM, Bevo said:

What if I just eat brisket and drink beer?

between frosh and soph years. gained 45 lbs in less than 3 months. steak , potatoes (worked at a steakhouse) tacos and beer. 

lifting heavy 2 times a week. 

its possible. 

course i lost it all in less tha 2 months. 2 a days in Arkansas sucks. 

• Like 1