2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

2 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

College baseball recruiting is a beating Got Damn

It's the same for every top tier team. Here's the number of HS recruits that have signed from each top 10 recruiting class. 

Vanderbilt (6), LSU (1), Tennessee (2), Miss State (2), FIU (4), Louisville (2), Arkansas (0), A&M (3), Texas (2)

This is based off Perfect Game and it's not up to date. So these numbers will probably increase. 

Guest Lobo

Everything will be settled by this time Friday, so we'll have our roster in place for 2019 by the time dinner is served.  I think we actually end up in a better spot than we did at this point last off-season, and we made it to fucking Omaha.  To me, Coach Pierce is already worth more than Herman and Smart combined.  

Guest Lobo

I'm sure there's a Sweet 16 regional being held there in the next few years.  My point was just that for what we pay those guys, they've been mediocre (Herman) and downright subpar (Smart) to this point.  There's always next year, which is something I doubt I ever hear from Pierce.   

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Everything will be settled by this time Friday, so we'll have our roster in place for 2019 by the time dinner is served.  I think we actually end up in a better spot than we did at this point last off-season, and we made it to fucking Omaha.  To me, Coach Pierce is already worth more than Herman and Smart combined.  

Wow. You must be on the inside. Please post our 2019 roster Friday. This should be good.

Guest Lobo

Yep dude, totally claimed insider knowledge on the MLB draft signing deadline.  Merely pointing out that with all the chatter about some of our recruits going this way or that, it'll be a done deal either way shortly.  The signing deadline moves around a good deal in baseball, so didn't hurt to remind a few posters that aren't as diehard about college baseball, that this year it falls on 6 July.  But you know that, because you're on the inside too, right?  Jesus man, sorry for bringing up important dates in college baseball.  

Yknow, one thing that sort of characterized the end of the Harmon era and the TNic era is that we almost completely stopped worrying about losing players to the draft.  At the time, I think it was considered a positive and that we weren't wasting as much effort on players that would never make it to campus, which certainly seems a valid idea.  It also coincided with what seems to have been a fairly marked decline in talent.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yep dude, totally claimed insider knowledge on the MLB draft signing deadline.  Merely pointing out that with all the chatter about some of our recruits going this way or that, it'll be a done deal either way shortly.  The signing deadline moves around a good deal in baseball, so didn't hurt to remind a few posters that aren't as diehard about college baseball, that this year it falls on 6 July.  But you know that, because you're on the inside too, right?  Jesus man, sorry for bringing up important dates in college baseball.  

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  Iirc, this is a bit earlier than most years, which is good to know.

This says we open at ULL next year.    For those scoring at home, this contradicts the opening with Rice rumor.

Next year, UL will open its 2019 season with a three-game home series against Big 12-member Texas — which it visited to start this season, going 1-2 against the then-No. 14 Longhorns.

Somewhere in the middle of the page...

https://amp.theadvertiser.com/amp/403360002

Edited by petscii

Guest Lobo

i really don't like opening on the road, Valentine's Day in Lafayette is gonna be a tough sell.  I guess tradeoff from Tulane days or something.  

I think the LSU series dates are back on Shaggy somewhere.  And I'm guessing back to Palo Alto.  Two road series is the max.  So home would be some local team for break we have in conference play.  So that just leaves one open weekend in late February/early March for another home series.  Hopefully it's someone of some note, not just a local directional patsy.  

Mar 15th - 17th, Texas Tech @Texas

Mar 22- 24,  Texas @TCU

Mar 29-31  OPEN 

Apr 05 - 7th,  Texas @Baylor  

Apr 12th - 14th,  Kansas State @Texas

Apr 19th - 21st,  Texas @Oklahoma State

Apr 26th - 28th,  West Virginia @Texas  

May 3rd -5th,  Texas @Kansas 

May 10th -12th  OPEN

May 17th - 19th,  Oklahoma @Texas

http://www.big12sports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=106092&SPID=13131&Q_SEASON=2018&SCHEDULE_MONTH=

Edited by petscii
pm greenspoint for game times
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

We won't play anybody during finals as usual 10-12th.  3/29-3/31 will be some directional school (last couple years like New Orleans).  @ULL, TBD-home, @Stanford (likely 4 games), and LSU.  Probably in that order.  Good home slate though between conference forerunner Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and LSU.   I guess Stanford may not be set in stone, I forget our West Coast tradition was mostly Augie's doing.  Maybe it's 3 home series then to start out with @ULL.  Or one neutral site series, but we're not listed on any of those early season tournies.     

Edited by Lobo

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

i really don't like opening on the road, Valentine's Day in Lafayette is gonna be a tough sell.  I guess tradeoff from Tulane days or something.  

I think the LSU series dates are back on Shaggy somewhere.  And I'm guessing back to Palo Alto.  Two road series is the max.  So home would be some local team for break we have in conference play.  So that just leaves one open weekend in late February/early March for another home series.  Hopefully it's someone of some note, not just a local directional patsy.  

The 2019 LSU dates have not posted yet.  LSU typically posts the schedule in August so we don't have that long to wait should tradition hold.

I don't know the Stanford series is even going to continue under the new regime.

Fuck the finals.  They are all leaving after their junior year anyway to play MLB.  (my post is sarcasm as I suspect was AO)

May 10-12

University of Arkansas Pine Bluff: looking for home or away series. Please contact: assistant coach Roger Mallison  501-515-1429. (posted 6/3)

Hawaii: looking to fill bye week. Must be home series. Large guarantee. Contact head coach Mike Trapasso – trapasso@hawaii.edu or 808 956-6247. (posted 6/3)

http://collegebaseballinsider.com/open-dates/2019-open-dates/

Edited by petscii

Guest Lobo

And ULL is an incredibly respected institution.  Good baseball as well.  Maybe we do host Rice then after all.  Three home series and one true road to start the year would be alright.  But that would make for 4 non-conf. series overall with 1 road.  I wonder if Pierce would do 3 & 2.  Is there a site where they have all the preseason tournaments like they do for basketball?  

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

And ULL is an incredibly respected institution.  Good baseball as well.  Maybe we do host Rice then after all.  Three home series and one true road to start the year would be alright.  But that would make for 4 non-conf. series overall with 1 road.  I wonder if Pierce would do 3 & 2.  Is there a site where they have all the preseason tournaments like they do for basketball?  

All I care about is  a schedule that maximizes our RPI/SOS.

We may keep Rice on the schedule but ULL on the road > Rice at home in terms of building resume wins. 

ULL is actually the perfect team to schedule a home/home with. Good but not great ball club. Winning a series on the road against ULL would likely be significant. 

Edited by texasstrong12

One of our 2018 signees.

Greyson is one of my best friend’s nephews. He rolled his car three times on the way to Austin after seemingly falling asleep at the wheel. He broke his neck and had surgery. Amazingly, it sounds like he’s going to be just fine and could go home Mon.

• Like 1

Update on Greyson: surgery was a smashing success. First two people on scene of wreck were a firefighter and anesthesiologist. He was following his mother in his car so she saw it all happen in her rear view mirror.

Buddy/Uncle is a doc here in Dallas and was down there to see him. Greyson was walking the halls like nothing had happened. He’s got to wear the neck deal for 3 months and can’t play baseball for one year. What constitutes “baseball” is unknown. He’s not supposed to lift anything over five pounds.

He was on his way to start summer school on Mon and practice with team. Obviously, that’s not going to happen but there is hope he’ll be in school when the fall semester starts.

This is an unfuckingbelievable story. He veered off road into a ravine on 290, shot up the side and launched his Audi into the air. It hit, sheared the top off and then rolled three times. From hearing my buddies — uncle and spine surgeon here — it’s amazing he wasn’t killed instantly.

• Like 6

Checking in with Longhorns baseballers this summer. Mason Hibbeler, who shifts between first and third base, made the California Collegiate League Prospects Game as did potential 2019 closer Kam Fields. Big cruncher Zach Zubia launched four balls over the Green Monster at Fenway earlier this week during a workout there. And shortstop David Hamilton is second in the Cape Cod League in stolen bases with 11.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/bohls-texas-breckyn-hager-deshon-elliott-opposite-sides-fence/YlGA1OJqmTL1QOwOu3yLUM/

Hamilton's average at .204 from .171,  no more errors after 8.  Henley has 16k's in 13 ip, but gave up 16 hits.   Zubia at .242 with 1 hr.   Not that much cause for concern,   Cape Cod is premier players/competition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not 2019 related exactly, but what a photo.   Congrats to JBrent.

Football stars Derrick Dockery, Michael Griffin and Justin Blalock and suffocating closer J. Brent Cox are among the 15 former Texas athletes that will be inducted into the UT Hall of Honor.

The T-Association, the organization for former letter winners, announced the entire class of 2018 on Wednesday. The induction banquet is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Sept. 7 at the AT&T Hotel and Conference Center on campus.

https://www.hookem.com/2018/08/01/former-longhorns-derrick-dockery-michael-griffin-j-brent-cox-among-2018-ut-hall-honor-class/

mrz2utuf05jpg.jpg

06/26/05 Matt Rourke/AMERICAN-STATESMAN Texas' J. Brent Cox (44) and David Maroul (8) celebrates a 6-2 victory over Florida at the NCAA Collage World Series, Championship Series, Game Two at Rosenblatt Stadium, Omaha Nebraska, on Sunday June 26, 2005

Edited by torre
  • Like 1