2006 Rose Bowl National Championship Stories

dcbc

I missed picking up my tickets from my ticket guy when we got into town that morning.  We had to meet him in the middle of tens of thousands of people pouring into the Rose Bowl before kickoff.  He had the two tickets, which I had already paid him for in cash at several hundred dollars over face, wrapped up in copy paper inside an envelope that was rubber banded and duct taped to his wrist.  He was so worried they'd get stolen or he'd lose them.  Even though he often can't beat price or location, I still use him to this day for myriad games/sports outta town because he went through a helluva lotta trouble to make sure I got my tickets when he could have just as easily refunded me later that week in Austin, sold them for twice the price on the spot before the game, and told me they had gotten stolen.  and considering how drunk we still were from Las Vegas, I'd have believed him.  

As the five of us finally started  to drive off the golf course after the 2006 Rose Bowl a guy passed us on foot selling T-shirts for $5.  They were "USC 3-Peat" shirts printed up in anticipation of a Trojan victory.  Mrs. Idahorn occasionally wears hers to game watching parties up here in Boise.

We later walked by several USC fans in the Pacific Dining Car and we were very polite;  they were sullen and gave us the unicorn salute in response to our Hook E'm signs.

Many years ago a friend brought me a T-shirt from Brazil.  It read "Miami Dolphins 1949 Super Bowl Champs."  If you want a "USC 3-Peat" shirt you could probably get one in Sao Paulo.

Brother in law is a Longhorn hater. Doesn't really even follow college sports but just spews hate whenever he can. (Went to A&M for half a semeso before dropping out and going to Sul Ross). We were all at their house watching the game. 4th and 2 happens and I'm jumping around and chest bumped him. He pulled a steak knife out and tried to stab me. His mom (he's mid-30s at the time) jumps his ass and made him go to his room. Made the after party a whole lot nicer.

Brother in law is a Longhorn hater. Doesn't really even follow college sports but just spews hate whenever he can. (Went to A&M for half a semeso before dropping out and going to Sul Ross). We were all at their house watching the game. 4th and 2 happens and I'm jumping around and chest bumped him. He pulled a steak knife out and tried to stab me. His mom (he's mid-30s at the time) jumps his ass and made him go to his room. Made the after party a whole lot nicer.

That escalated quickly.
  • Like 1

Closest I’ve seen violence while watching a game was when Wazzou iced the game against us in the Holiday Bowl and my friend’s girlfriend jumped for joy. We didnt know she was an aggy and she was secretly pulling against Texas. We all wanted to stab her.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:55 PM, Zone Read said:

My story also.  USC fans thought they had it and were cheering, UT fans were quiet.  A second later, that reversed, UT fans were going crazy and USC fans went quiet knowing there was no way they were going to stop VY from getting his team in the end zone.  My ears were ringing for days later after that game.

The USC fans around us left right after the 4th down stop. They knew. Vince will always be The GOAT.

At the michigan game in 05 with now wife, had fun. Went back in 06 and burned flight miles and took my old man. Some jackwagon from hornfans promised me 2 tickets when I arrived for 600 each. I took 2400 in case he lamed out like he did. Still, no tickets. Back up plan was at a customers house 10 miles away which we went to. Still glorious.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:52 AM, Sbbruin said:

My favorite memory was selling our 4 seats to the game for $1,000 ea to Texas fans.

and while I respect that, now its time for us to gloat more.... you got stone cold robbed.  Whoever you sold them to is still laughing at their great deal.

ENDZONE seats were going for $2000 for that game, maybe $2,500.

assuming your dad with his long history had yard-line seat those were worth shitloads more.  $3k for 20 yard line, roughly $4k or more for 30 yard line. 

I had my 2 tickets in my clear lanyard around my neck when I got off the bus that took us to the game,  as soon as I stepped off the bus, some guy in USC gear runs up to me fanning lots of $100 bills, he said "I dont care where your seats are I will give you $4k for the pair" I said no, and he countered with $2k for 1 ticket.... I walked away (yes Gary, when you read this, I got offered $2k for your ticket and I was nice enough to not sell it).

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and while I respect that, now its time for us to gloat more.... you got stone cold robbed.  Whoever you sold them to is still laughing at their great deal.

assuming your dad with his long history had yard-line seat those were worth shitloads more.  $3k for 20 yard line, roughly $4k or more for 30 yard line. 

I had my 2 tickets in my clear lanyard around my neck when I got off the bus that took us to the game,  as soon as I stepped off the bus, some guy in USC gear runs up to me fanning lots of $100 bills, he said "I dont care where your seats are I will give you $4k for the pair" I said no, and he countered with $2k for 1 ticket.... I walked away (yes Gary, when you read this, I got offered $2k for your ticket and I was nice enough to not sell it).

Endzone seats were going for $850 online in the days before the game. I remember pretty clearly. I didn't want to pay that because you can ALWAYS get cheaper tickets outside the game. So I flew out to Vegas and met up with some guys from Hornfans that i had never met to drive to Pasadena from there, without a ticket. The night before we played a poker tournament at Binions and I chopped for 1st and got $1000 (Sorry Guinness who I cracked his aces with my K-Q) . Sweet, there is my ticket money. We get to the Hornfans tailgate and nobody is fuckin selling tickets. nobody. Me and Guinness decide to walk around the whole place to try and find tickets and nobody is fuckin selling tickets. we come across one guy who says he will take $5k per ticket. So we go back to the tailgate realizing we will be watching the game on the TV at the tailgate, which is still pretty damn good. We are sitting there for awhile and I see a longhorn fan hold up a ticket. I run over there and ask how much. He says "what I paid for it. $850". I said "sold" and had my ticket. It was endzone and like 3 rows from the top, but who cares, i was in. So me and Guinness are sitting around and he still doesn't have a ticket. This longhorn fan that seems pretty buzzed with a black eye asks if anyone needs a ticket. He sells it to Guinness for $500 and it is a fuckin good seat, like at the 20 yard line or thereabouts. I guess that was payback for my K-Q cracking his aces.

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not directed at anyone but if you are gonna fly over 1000 miles and spend a lotta money, why not nut up and buy a ticket(s)?

the plan was always to buy a ticket. typically though you can buy tickets at the game the day of for cheaper. I probably spent $300 max on my airfare and hotel in Vegas and then a share of rental car and gas to Pasadena. i do have a problem spending $850 for a ticket. when i win that money in a poker tournament, not so much.

if i knew what that game would have been like beforehand, i would have gladly bought the ticket before going out there.

• Like 1

After the lengthy post-game parking lot celebration, we took the shuttle bus back to downtown Pasadena and then boarded the train for downtown.  We thought we were going straight to my friend's rented house in Long Beach, but unfortunately we misunderstood the service map and the train service ended in downtown. We left the station and were left wandering through a mostly-deserted downtown area with no idea how we were going to get home.

At that point, a police car pulled up next to us and he flashed his sirens. He got out of the car with his flashlight, and scanned us up and down. He then said the following:

"Excuse me, I need your assistance. We are currently searching for a dangerous perpetrator. He's a large African-American wearing burnt orange like you, and he just stole our national championship."

He wouldn't give us a ride, but he did tell us where we could catch a cab. It was expensive as hell, but none of us cared.

The next morning, I got up really early and bought seven different newspapers and some coffee. I read all of the sports pages on the deserted beach and finally understood the meaning of the word "zen."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Oh, I know it full well.  We got one free and 3 at face because my wife was a volunteer for the Tournament of Roses.  But the TofR tracks online ticket sales so we had to go through a broker who flipped them to Texas fans.  He made money, but I was happy to clear about $3,500.  Oh, and ours we corner endzone.  My FIL got about 20 tix.  No idea how much he made.he got his last set 2 days before he passed in December, so the wife and kids and I went to the Georgia/OU game in his honor, even though we could have sold them, and it was a finominle game.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, idahorn said:

As the five of us finally started  to drive off the golf course after the 2006 Rose Bowl a guy passed us on foot selling T-shirts for $5.  They were "USC 3-Peat" shirts printed up in anticipation of a Trojan victory.  Mrs. Idahorn occasionally wears hers to game watching parties up here in Boise.

As we were leaving the game we found a guy selling those same shirts. We gave him 20 dollars for the whole box and then took them to the team hotel where we were staying. The players loved them and kept a bunch and then autographed the ones we had left for our group. Best night ever.

for big games like that there should be some fundamental law using quantum coupling that you can instantly be in contact with the person you were talking the most shit to prior to the game.  On the flight to the LA, this guy would not stop hyping Bush up.  Going on and on about his freaking HS recruiting tapes and how he was going to run all over Texas and how we should not even be on the same field as the greatest college football team in history (thanks a lot Bin Laden ESPN).  I asked him how much he really knows about VY and he said not much.  I just told him he would understand after the game what he needed to know about VY.

just awesome tailgating on the golf course all day exchanging smack talk with fuckers wearing those 'pete pete pete' shirts.  And to what everyone else was saying, yes, there were tons of people waiving 1000s of ameros around trying to buy tickets to the game.  Had never seen anything like it.  No one was selling.  I listened in to one guy's plan to get into the game by buying the apron and vendor ID from a worker.  Saw some unlucky people who bought counterfeit tickets standing to the side of the gate. 

the game was ok, i guess.  glad we won.

35 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

for big games like that there should be some fundamental law using quantum coupling that you can instantly be in contact with the person you were talking the most shit to prior to the game.  On the flight to the LA, this guy would not stop hyping Bush up.  Going on and on about his freaking HS recruiting tapes and how he was going to run all over Texas and how we should not even be on the same field as the greatest college football team in history (thanks a lot Bin Laden ESPN).  I asked him how much he really knows about VY and he said not much.  I just told him he would understand after the game what he needed to know about VY.

It goes like this:  "Give me you cell #.  I'd love to hear your thoughts after the game."

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Gary...who's Gary??

Lame story alert:

I was in a group that had season tickets, and was offered first dibs on a face value ticket.  I declined and basically proxied my ticket over to another friend. My pregnant wife and I were in the process of finishing out our new house and  her folks were still in town from the holidays.

It had been a glorious season so far and I had attended all home games with a disturbing zeal even for me.  After the Kansas game, I decided I needed a break from the booze in order to finish the house and keep myself alive for my future son.

So the night of the game, the plan was to head down to the Posse East with some friends really early, get a good seat, some dinner, and watch the game.  Got there at 2:30 PM and there were no seats to be had, so we went to the Crown and Anchor.  Without any booze, I had a calm feeling of confidence throughout the game.  I was aware of all of the subtleties and ebb and flow of the game. Even when we were down 12 after USC's last TD, I thought we could pull it out. When VY crossed the goal line I was yelling as loud as I could and didn't care.

I drove around campus  and the drag with my drunk friends after the game, awash in the postgame show on the radio, yelling at complete strangers.  I got home at 2AM and got up at 5AM still glowing from the night before. I read a few articles on the web and then went down to the convenience store to grab a paper and have a leisurely morning before heading into work -which as luck would have it, was at the Blanton Museum Project.  It was so funny to be down there watching everybody smile at each other with these shit eating grins on their faces all day.  All seemed right with the world.  And it was.

The guy that got my proxied ticket bought my beer for years afterward whenever I saw him. I had season tickets the following year, but after that I declined further renewals as I had a toddler and another one on the way.  I am a simple man, and while that was not in my top 5 life moments, I would for sure say it was top 15 or maybe even top 10....

...and that friend that got my ticket...his name was......

O.J. Simpson.

I was driving to Pasadena and just entering the parking lot/golf course when the “Rolex” that I had purchased a year earlier on Canal street broke and fell off my wrist and on to the pavement below my suntanned arm hanging out of the open driver-side window. I took that as a sign. 

I vaguely remember high-fiving Lance Armstrong on the way to the game. Our daughters are now in first grade together and we sometimes talk about that. He doesn’t remember. 

I vaguely remember seeing Will Ferrell. 

I remember that I had plans to party in Hollywood after the game, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open on the way home. 

I definitely remember my good friend, (known on Shaggy and possibly here as Hornimal), rushing the gate without a ticket, making it in, but getting “detained” at the Pasadena lockup and not seeing one single snap of this event. 

I remember winning that game. The best cfb game of all time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Oh, I know it full well.  We got one free and 3 at face because my wife was a volunteer for the Tournament of Roses.  But the TofR tracks online ticket sales so we had to go through a broker who flipped them to Texas fans.  He made money, but I was happy to clear about $3,500.  Oh, and ours we corner endzone.  My FIL got about 20 tix.  No idea how much he made.he got his last set 2 days before he passed in December, so the wife and kids and I went to the Georgia/OU game in his honor, even though we could have sold them, and it was a finominle game.

Hats off to you Sbbruin as a standup man & good luck on upcoming series with Oklahoma, I'll try to save some change to make the Rose Bowl for 2019 to see the game in person..! 

• Like 1

We went to see the brother of my friend’s wife the day before the game. He was a UCLA grad and a very smart dude who was passionate about football. He bragged to us about the greatness of USC. Said they were incredible and that Texas had no chance. Like the other poster above, we asked him whether he’d watched Texas play, and Vince in particular. He hadn’t. I calmly said, “You people have no idea what you’re in for.” And all next day, not one USC fan we met really understood the team they were about to meet. No idea at all.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, Deej said:

I believe it as much as I believe he was killing himself on the recruiting trail in Florida on those final days. 

There was a greg davis interview about the play.  He flat out said that Vince wanted to run a draw to the right. But Greg and Mack wanted the pass option.  So they ran a RPO because it still gave Vince the right side of the field.

Edited by JoseMedinaDeJesus

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

There was a greg davis interview about the play.  He flat out said that Vince wanted to run a draw to the right. But Greg and Mack wanted the pass option.  So they ran a RPO because it still gave Vince the right side of the field.

Frostee Rucker took a couple of steps with Selvin Young toward the middle field and the game was over.

We were down by the band and where ESPN had set up their desk. As soon as Rucker when inside, there was nothing but green to the right. I said, "Touchdown," at just about the time VY took off.

The pass option was nice. Not having to risk a drop was nicer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Forgot about Leinart failed QB sneak on 4th and one around Texas 12yd line in the 1st quarter.   USC was up 7-0 at the time.

So many big plays in this game.

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂

Early 2nd qtr, dumbass lateral by Bush around Horns 20yd line, gives Texas the ball.  Forgot no points in 1st qtr for Horns.

Still 7-0 USC

Edited by LTtxfan