2006 Rose Bowl National Championship Stories

dcbc

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

TD Texas...  Missed extra pt  Texas leads 9-7

2nd qtr... Famous Vince Young is knee down play.

DSvl7IOU0AANOxD.jpg

What makes this whole point hilarious is that even if they did call him down, it would have been 1st and goal, and they weren't stopping Vince.  It had zero bearing on the outcome of the game.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

What makes this whole point hilarious is that even if they did call him down, it would have been 1st and goal, and they weren't stopping Vince.  It had zero bearing on the outcome of the game.  

Well, it takes away more time which means USC doesn’t get the field goal at the end of the first half… which would’ve made the last 19 seconds a little less stressful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I got married in Austin on November 5, 2005 (her father was diagnosed with cancer, so we chose Baylor weekend), so we had been  married for only a couple of months. She and I had tickets to the game; however, she got a horrible cold a day before we our flight to LA. The next day she didn’t feel any better (couldn’t even get out of bed) and knew she wouldn’t be able to go. I said “Sorry, baby” and left for the airport. She would have done the same thing.

csb…In 2020, when there were no sports during the early part of the pandemic, she and I watched the game like it was live. We were yelling and cheering throughout. Our kids thought we were crazy. 

• Like 1

I went with a friend instead of the wife. Whoops. As I’ve joked to her many times, it was the greatest day of my life.

It was such an incredible day, I decided to memorialize it with a six page story of every moment of the 48 hours around the game. I pull it out every once and awhile and read it. It makes me feel good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I went with a friend instead of the wife. Whoops. As I’ve joked to her many times, it was the greatest day of my life.

It was such an incredible day, I decided to memorialize it with a six page story of every moment of the 48 hours around the game. I pull it out every once and awhile and read it. It makes me feel good. 

Still vivid memories of watching pacing around DFW waiting for my flight to board. Hertz chica telling me it was a long way to come to watch USC win. Bloody Marys while telling my group “We gotta goooo.” Tailgating and hyper-confident USC fans. People offering way over $1000 a ticket on the way in. “What do you mean ‘We’re out of Dr Pepper’?!?!” We need a turnover or a stop right here.” “VY is going to win this.” “Touchdown!” Buying a USC 3-peat shirt for $5 on the way out. ESPN all that night when I couldn’t sleep. Buying every Cali newspaper I could find. Finally sleeping like 48 hours later.  

• 4 months later...

Josh Pate says if he could go back in time to see any football game it would be this one. 

He also mentions that this was the last great game when everyone was fully engaged, and half the people weren't goofing on their smart phones. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Josh Pate says if he could go back in time to see any football game it would be this one. 

He also mentions that this was the last great game when everyone was fully engaged, and half the people weren't goofing on their smart phones. 

Pretty sure I was rockin’ the Razr at that time…

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, VoteforHank said:

I distinctly remember staying up late and reading Texags. Gold! A lot of those fuckers were not planning on going to work that next morning. 

I did that when I got back from Pasadena, there was one particular game watching thread that was one of the most fun things I've ever read.  You could sense the growing feeling of impending doom with every post as we clawed our way back.  I wish somebody had copied that thread, they took it down at some point.

12 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I did that when I got back from Pasadena, there was one particular game watching thread that was one of the most fun things I've ever read.  You could sense the growing feeling of impending doom with every post as we clawed our way back.  I wish somebody had copied that thread, they took it down at some point.

I distinctly remember one post from that thread.  I cant remember it verbatim, but the paraphrase is very close.

last drive, when VY was tackled at the 8  and it was 2nd and 5 from the 8, and we called timeout.  During that timeout one of the aggys posted.

"Vince has 192 yards rushing, and they are 8 yards away from the endzone, I have a bad feeling about this"   and he may have written "this seems inevitable" but I cant remember that for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, LTtxfan said:

DSvl7IOU0AANOxD.jpg

On that wheel route to Reggie, Drew Kelson had Reggie "his knee was down" Bush covered like everybody on South Austin's mom and intercepted the pass at the same time.

Hell, even Sark made mention of that play on The Pivot interview.

But the refs called an incomplete pass instead.

It was an interception dammit!

On 1/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, LTtxfan said:

DSvl7IOU0AANOxD.jpg

This knee was the universe correcting itself  after USC was allowed the illegal Bush Push earlier that season against ND. Same game that Bijan’s grandfather refereed in too.

19 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Solid take.

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I distinctly remember one post from that thread.  I cant remember it verbatim, but the paraphrase is very close.

last drive, when VY was tackled at the 8  and it was 2nd and 5 from the 8, and we called timeout.  During that timeout one of the aggys posted.

"Vince has 192 yards rushing, and they are 8 yards away from the endzone, I have a bad feeling about this"   and he may have written "this seems inevitable" but I cant remember that for sure.

If anyone made a copy of that thread, I would love to see it again.  We all love aggy suffering, but that was the epitome of it.  Every post you could feel their pain as the damn sips headed closer and closer to the promised land.  I remember one or two in the seconds before VY scored beseeching the almighty to let USC make the stop.

3 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

I came here hoping to see the UT Pimp story.

Anybody know where it might be hanging around in the universe?

Maybe a newsgroup some where?

I thought the UT Pimp Story was from the Texas Bama championship game.

How many of y'all woke up on Jan 5 to a number of text messages from friends around the country checking in to make sure you were still alive? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I thought the UT Pimp Story was from the Texas Bama championship game.

How many of y'all woke up on Jan 5 to a number of text messages from friends around the country checking in to make sure you were still alive? 

UT Pimp was the 2010 game, its what made Thujone an MS paint legend.

I got a 4am California time call from my parents who lived in NY at that time and forgot about the time difference to see if I was still alive. 

no issue on the time diff as I still hadnt gone to sleep and I and several friends kept rewatching every replay on all the ESPN broadcasts, trying to see shots or angles that we hadnt seen before, plus we were getting hammered talked a bit with them.

sometime soon after that I walked 3 or 4 blocks away to a convenience store  and bought 10 each of the 4? newspapers that were there  If I remember right, it was the 2 of the LA papers, USA Today and I think a 4th one,   spent something like $50 on them.  walked back to our place, put them in my bag and eventually fell asleep.

sometime around 11ish the rest of my housemates woke me up and were bemoaning the fact that they had tried to buy a newspaper  but everywhere near was sold out.

I was quite happy to tell them to hang on a minute and broke out about half the papers I bought hours earlier.   I was a god.   I kept the best 2 prints of each paper for myself and let them have the rest.