Yellowstone

RPM

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

It's on peacock. I binged all three seasons over the last week or so. Overall, solid show. It definitely gets eye-rollingly dumb at times, but it's an enjoyable watch.

For the record, if you put Monica's head on Beth's body, you would have the perfect woman. 

Dude you don't even need to do that.  Just watch any shower scene with Monica...she's already got a great fucking body.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

Started this show during the deep freeze and am about 6-7 episodes.  It's entertaining, but holy shit there's at least 2-3 moments every episode that seem completely unbelievable.  I don't mind taking it lightly because it's a TV show, but it when it's so well filmed and has such a good cast, I expect a little more.

The constant tension and raised stakes seems to be a trap that a lot of promising shows get into over time.  Ozark is super guilty of this.  A big part of what makes shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire so damn good is that there are a lot of quiet moments where you get to really know and understand the characters.  It isn't just constantly shifting from one life threatening crisis to the next.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Started this show during the deep freeze and am about 6-7 episodes.  It's entertaining, but holy shit there's at least 2-3 moments every episode that seem completely unbelievable.  I don't mind taking it lightly because it's a TV show, but it when it's so well filmed and has such a good cast, I expect a little more.

The constant tension and raised stakes seems to be a trap that a lot of promising shows get into over time.  Ozark is super guilty of this.  A big part of what makes shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire so damn good is that there are a lot of quiet moments where you get to really know and understand the characters.  It isn't just constantly shifting from one life threatening crisis to the next.

Keep going.  You get deeper into the characters.  It's worth it.

The Yellowstone-verse is heading to Texas for spin-off 6666

The Yellowstone-verse is growing fast, and now it's heading south. In addition to an already announced prequel to the Kevin Costner-led western drama,Y: 1883, creator Taylor Sheridan is blessing fans with a spin-off of the cable hit coming to Paramount+, currently titled 6666.

The spin-off will focus on the Four Sixes ranch in West Texas. Still operating as it did two centuries before when the Comanches still ruled the land, the 6666 is where the rule of law and the laws of nature merge in a place where the most dangerous thing one does is the next thing. The Four Sixes is known for raising the finest horses and livestock in the world, and ultimately where world-class cowboys are born and made.

“Taylor, Paramount+ and MTV Entertainment Studios have been incredible partners to us at 101 over the years,” said David Glasser, CEO of 101 Studios, in a statement. “Together, we have been able to build Yellowstone into an immersive universe for audiences globally. And that is what we intend to do with these series as well. We will be introducing new characters and story lines alongside world-class talent and creators. We are very much looking forward to bringing these shows to life.”

While much is still left to be learned about how 6666 connects to the story of the power-hungry Duttons, Sheridan did participate in an article for the Four Sixes ranch about returning to live in his native Texas, where he and his wife have their homes bases and ranch by Jacksboro. In the story, Sheridan emphasized the need to return to his home state to represent current Texas stories.

"Being a Texan today and what it means to live in Texas — there’s a responsibility that comes with it, in that you really do represent the entire state," he says in the piece. "Everybody in Texas always represents the state. And so, there’s a sense of class and confidence that I think every Texan seems to embody. And along with that, a respect for others, regardless of whether they agree with you or not. You respect their ability to disagree or agree."

If you think Sheridan's empire stops growing after 6666, you'd be sorely mistaken. 6666 was announced during ViacomCBS's streaming event on Wednesday, which also revealed several other Sheridan projects on the way, including Mayor of Kingstown, a drama starring Jeremy Renner in the world of Michigan power brokers, and Land Man. Executive produced by Sheridan, Land Man is set to bring us into the world of West Texas oil rigging.

"The series is an upstairs/downstairs story of roughnecks and wildcat billionaires fueling a boom so big, it’s reshaping our climate, our economy and our geopolitics," the announcement's description reads. Land Man will be produced by David Glasser, Ron Burkle, and Bob Yari.

Yellowstone is Paramount's most important series. At 6.5 million viewers, it scored the most-watched season premiere on cable in two years. The show, co-created by Sheridan and John Linson, follows the Dutton family, which owns the Yellowstone ranch. Costner plays patriarch John. The series also stars Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, and Gil Birmingham.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/10/2021 at 12:35 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

According to the link, you have to subscribe to Paramount+ to watch the prequel. Paramount+ is launching March 4th and is replacing CBS All-Access.

The prequel will air sometime late in 2021.

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

According to the link, you have to subscribe to Paramount+ to watch the prequel. Paramount+ is launching March 4th and is replacing CBS All-Access.

The prequel will air sometime late in 2021.

THAT'S what I need, to pay for another streaming service.

Pass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

just started this one this week...we watched all of Longmire and enjoyed it. this...is not like Longmire lol

i guess i thought it would be sort of 'honest man of the land vs. evil world' archetype...

but holy shit the Dutton's are more like the cowboy mafia! lol

we're only a few episodes in and i realized last night 'good lord we've watched 3 episodes and that youngest Dutton has killed 4 people already!' 

heh. should be fun, but it's definitely not what i was expecting 😁

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, mchookem said:

we're only a few episodes in and i realized last night 'good lord we've watched 3 episodes and that youngest Dutton has killed 4 people already!' 

And he's just getting warmed up. 

This show is ridiculously unrealistic. I bailed after the 2nd season 

16 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Game of Thrones is a bad comparison. It's set in a fantasy world. I get what you're saying but I still want a more realistic show that is set in real world. Yellowstone just gets stupid

Regardless of where it's set, the question is, are the events realistic within the world of the show?  For a fantasy program, GoT was (for several seasons) one of the most realistic works of fiction I've ever seen.  The politics were spot on, and the total absence of plot armor (again, only in first 4 seasons, for the most part) made it refreshing.  When a guy got into a fight with a bigger, stronger dude that should easily kick his ass, the guy got his ass kicked.  Being a good/honorable man with the best of intentions meant you were as likely, or more, to end up losing your head.  It was a triumph of honest storytelling, despite being set in a world of dragons and magic.  Then the later seasons happened and we reverted to the worst of audience insulting laziness.  But for a while, it was brilliant.  

As you observed, Yellowstone is so absurd in this regard it ought to be considered comedy, not drama.

Hey, the new cowboy has a shitty attitude/poor work ethic, we need to fire him.  And by fire him, we mean casually murder him and throw his body in a ravine. Start a fight?  Murder him.  Random lab tech gets result you don't like?  Murder him.  Journalist looking into your family/business?  Choke that bitch to death.

This show would've been better off as a horror/comedy series, from the POV of a ranch hand.  "Yellowstone:  The Last Job You'll Ever Lose"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

This show would've been better off as a horror/comedy series, from the POV of a ranch hand.  "Yellowstone:  The Last Job You'll Ever Lose"

ryan murphy would've crushed this.

unfortunately, they see this now as some valuable property, so expert multiple spinoffs and other works by sheridan/costner as producers set in similar worlds.  and i'm not just talking about that terrible reality cowboy show.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

The constant tension and raised stakes seems to be a trap that a lot of promising shows get into over time.  Ozark is super guilty of this.  A big part of what makes shows like                       and The Wire so damn good is that there are a lot of quiet moments where you get to really know and understand the characters.  It isn't just constantly shifting from one life threatening crisis to the next.

Breaking Bad is the actual blueprint you speak of for these show. 

Nothing like the wire. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Breaking Bad is the actual blueprint you speak of for these show. 

Nothing like the wire. 

I'm just saying The Wire wasn't constant tension and crisis and had a heavy character development component, and while I agree Yellowstone is much more similar to Breaking Bad stylistically and thematically, Breaking Bad and The Wire are what I consider the two best TV shows of all time, and any time a TV drama is put up on a pedestal, I make that mental association/comparison.

The Wire I completely and totally agree with tone and pacing. It’s BB for me that started the era of one crisis always leading to the next crisis. Felt they never let the characters breath for a second after the first season.  They perfected it, and Ozark is a perfect example of the failed replication process  

JMO

On 2/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Bail now. It only gets worse. 

The Wire I completely and totally agree with tone and pacing. It’s BB for me that started the era of one crisis always leading to the next crisis. Felt they never let the characters breath for a second after the first season.  They perfected it, and Ozark is a perfect example of the failed replication process  
JMO

There were a lot of breaths in BB compared to this newer crop. Lots of quiet moments in between chaos. The crises begat crises, but the pacing was more deliberate.

The Fly episode in Season 3 is the kind of episode you would NEVER see in Ozark or Yellowstone.

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I didn’t know it was possible not to know that. 

Well, considering he's got different color hair, didn't have a beard then, isn't a big-name star and it's been almost 30 years since D&C was filmed.... I'd say it's pretty goddamn easy to understand how it's possible to not make the connection.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, considering he's got different color hair, didn't have a beard then, isn't a big-name star and it's been almost 30 years since D&C was filmed.... I'd say it's pretty goddamn easy to understand how it's possible to not make the connection.

His transportation from a ginger to dark hair makes a huge difference 

• Like 1