Yellowstone

RPM

9 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Who played Jamie’s bio dad? Can’t find any cast credit, but I’ll swear it is Will Patton? Costner connection all the way back to No Way Out

When I saw the picture in Jamie's file I was like damn that's coach Yost. My wife was like from remember the titans no way. Then there he was. 

• Like 1

When I saw the picture in Jamie's file I was like damn that's coach Yost. My wife was like from remember the titans no way. Then there he was. 

His life really went sideways when he didn’t make the high school football hall of fame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Like, what has actually even happened this season?

- People are out to get the ranch again. I think the dude who really likes to fish is leading that charge, but can't really tell.

- Every successful company has a ruthless, vindicative, unscrupulous female to send in when the going gets tough.

- Jimmy's dating some chick. Not a single one of you knows her or her friend's name.

- Monica had a one-off murder mystery where she found the killer in 5 minutes. The killer who apparently constantly patrols that same stretch of road in a super noticeable work truck.

- There was a chance for some actual drama with the guitar player dude. From both the "he fucked Rip's bride-to-be" and "Kaycee went against his father's orders" perspectives. Nah, he's cool with being a rancher again is just on a strict probationary period.

- A couple of dudes keep causing minor annoyances. The older one has a still unexplained history with Costner. Costner tells the crew to deal with it smartly, implying subtlety and tact. Everyone immediately guns up around non-ranch witnesses, rides out and mutilates and lynches said old dude before throwing them both off a cliff. Tact!

- Jamie's adopted because we need even more Beth/Jamie melodrama. 

- And?

It's pretty impressive to use 9 episodes to do so little, while still somehow leaving a billion plot points to try to cram into a finale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My one complaint about this season (I enjoy it for what it is, new entertainment at a time we don't have much) is that it seems Sheridan has gotten himself into the same issue as last year, where the main arc has moved so slowly that tying a neat little bow during a 40ish minute season finale is going to seem rushed. 

As much as I hate the Rourke character, I would rather this plot roll into next season, than to be the shootout that was the demise of the beck brothers at multiple locations in a span of about 8 minutes last year. 

Alright one more complaint, what the fuck was the point of the bad ass indian chick? She has literally done nothing. 

Edited by Juicy

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

- A couple of dudes keep causing minor annoyances. The older one has a still unexplained history with Costner. Costner tells the crew to deal with it smartly, implying subtlety and tact. Everyone immediately guns up around non-ranch witnesses, rides out and mutilates and lynches said old dude before throwing them both off a cliff. Tact!

while i agree with all of your points, i'm going to spotlight this one for a sec.

so these two dudes are starting shit, and we find out this week that sawyer paid them to (duh).  but in their conversation (his one per episode, this time in a robe), the old guy says, "i ain't trying to go back to jail."  yeah, ok.  first of all, the stuff they've been doing certainly seem jail-worthy, especially for ex-con types.  but let's just look at the one latest incident.

they beat the shit out of two cowboys on the dutton ranch (trespassing).  these cowboys have visible injuries and could easily eyeball those two, not to mention all the other shit they've done in plain sight.  so i'm thinking, well, the atty general is your son, and your other son runs the livestock commission, and you're sleeping with the governor, so you're pretty plugged in.  and even though last season there was a brief moment where the sheriff was on the take from those brothers, that shit is over, and clearly they're back on team dutton.

so when rip or someone says, "well, we could go tell the sheriff", costner shoots back with, "nah, they'll be ready for that, and they already got alibis lined up and excuses and people to vouch for their whereabouts (or something like this)."  i'm sorry, what?  these two imbeciles, with a history of breaking the law, are now master criminals and super-immune from law enforcement because they've got rich benefactors?  no i don't think so.  

also their job was to poke dutton to provoke something actionable in court, i guess to help get the land (which they're clearly going to get anyway, especially if costner says no to the deal).  why would they go back to the fenceline to start shit?  even if they accurately predicted the cowboys would take matters into their own hands (which they typically do), they should've been waiting someplace with cameras rolling and purposely gotten the shit kicked out of them, and used that in court.  but no, they ride into the most predictable ambush ever, using a cowboy who hasn't been with them in months, and end up hanging from a tree/dead on the ground*.

this is the type of shit lesser writers do and it drives me insane.  they add a throwaway line to get them out of explaining why something super obvious isn't happening.

* "guess what, i'm gonna be on yellowstone this season!  i get punched in the face three times and then i die by falling off a horse onto a sharp rock."

also considering the entire series is based around the one question, "how do the duttons keep their ranch?" there sure wasn't much clarity in the $500mm deal that was offered.  jamie took it to beth, beth took it to john, john said no, he'd rather lose it than sell it, because he made a promise (lol).  have they officially turned it down?  was there a deadline i missed?  i don't remember that scene, and typically it's like, "well dad, if you change your mind, we have til friday noon to tell them either way."  but in this show, stuff like this kinda goes away and we're left to assume (unless i missed it, which is always possible on brown liquor sundays).

also i've never worked a company that's been bought out during some hostile takeover situation, but is it customary for the new company to just walk in and sit at someone else's desk and fire them?  that seems a little dramatic, even for this show.  

yeah, there's a lot to tie up in 45 minutes.  they should've taken all the rodeo shit, all the jimmy relationship shit, all the jamie getting pinballed around shit, and devoted it to holloway, karen pittman, and the hot-shot indian fixer (who we've barely seen).  even the dumbshit brothers from last season got 2-3x as much screentime.  though i love neal mcdonough.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

* "guess what, i'm gonna be on yellowstone this season!  i get punched in the face three times and then i die by falling off a horse onto a sharp rock."

I hope the benefactors didn't have to pay that dude up front. Super rich or not, what a waste of money. "I'm going to bow up and get all aggro every time I hear the slightest insult, but I can't fight or cowboy for shit."

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I hope the benefactors didn't have to pay that dude up front. Super rich or not, what a waste of money. "I'm going to bow up and get all aggro every time I hear the slightly insult, but I can't fight or cowboy for shit."

also once you do the big shit, like beating down two of the cowboys, then you sit and wait for revenge.  you don't attack again.  what shitty planning.

this is the type of shit lesser writers do and it drives me insane.  they add a throwaway line to get them out of explaining why something super obvious isn't happening.

The obvious answer to most of the Dutton’s problems is to get law enforcement or the legal system involved. As you mentioned, they surely have deep family connections in that part of the state and you would think law enforcement would come to their aid against an out of state corporation that employs ex-cons to provoke local ranchers via petty and sometimes violent crime.

But we don’t get that because that would deprive us of getting to watch Wild West cowboy justice with horse chases, hanging guys from trees, cutting brands out of their chests, and dumping bodies off of cliffs.

Last season the Beck Brothers kidnapped a child and instead of alerting the police and having a massive manhunt upon them, John begged the sheriff to keep it quiet so the Dutton family could turn into Seal Team Six for a few minutes.

This show depends on these situations where bad guys provoke the Duttons to justify killing people and disappearing bodies. The writing is just very sloppy in setting it up in a way that’s at all believable. When they can’t figure out a way to make main bad guys die, they toss in a random episode where a biker gang decides to tailgate in a Yellowstone pasture and then attempt to burn the land for no plausible reason. I predict next season an oil company will decide they need to start drilling on the land.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Since I'm so shallow minded I just wanna know is Colby gonna bang Teeter and make her scream "calf rope"? Or will it be the other way around?

Oh, she'll make him say calf rope. But she ain't gonna stop.

This season needs better villains. First season was great with Danny Huston and Gil Birmingham really fleshing out their characters.  Last season and this one the bad guys had potential, but never really developed into meaningful characters or villains that you love to hate.  Birmingham is not really a bad guy any more, but anytime he is on the screen is great.  Love watching him flex the turquoise rings every time for emphasis.

The beck brothers didn’t have enough screen time or lines to become good villains. Their story came from John and others telling each other (and us) about them. Even with the hiring of one of the great current bad guy character actors, they then gave him zero to work with. 

Same thing is happening this season.  I understand why John Dutton is emotionally invested. I don’t understand why Roark is. And I understand even less why Beth not only didn’t buy that land but didn’t know it was for sale until it was bought by market equities. Her entire job at that time was to buy all the land around the ranch. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

42 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Beth's company was buying up every available plot of land they could to keep it out of the hands of Rouke's investors hands right? Only to be bought out making them now majority owners of all that land they were gobbling up?

Maybe she has set up a way to make the land worthless from a development standpoint.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

there's an online conspiracy theory that teeter is an undercover cop 

if you go back to the bikers in the pasture, she allegedly gives a female biker a 'nod' / 'look' before the fight - two undercover cops acknowledging each other  

Undercover cop that can actually rodeo and takes the brand......that’s a heck of a theory and probably fits into the writers style 

55 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Which would be stupid because why would the FBI put a mole in the fucking Dutton ranch its not like they traffic meth or really do anything illegal aside from a little situational murdering 

The Federal Government and western ranchers have had a...complex...relationship relationship over the years.

A few weeks ago my sister asked me if I had ever seen Yellowstone because she wanted to know if I thought my mom would like it.  I had never seen it so I thought I’d watch an episode to see.  As of 15 minutes ago I am now completely caught up after buying season 1 and 2 on Prime and watching season 3 on Paramount.  The plot is always completely unbelievable and full of holes, but I like Costner and Westerns.  All the rest of the casting is great, and the scenery is nice I’m hooked.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I would say bikini season is out for Teeter now. That is not a small brand. 

I was saying out loud “I’m sure she will get the brand on her back”...nope. Right on her chest. That just doesn’t seem right or healthy for a woman.

You realize she didn’t actually get branded, right?

Hmmm. Did you watch the entire episode?

Stick in mouth...shirt down...Y inches from her chest...just bc they didn’t show the sizzle doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Colby’s was only shown after the sizzle.

Unless there was an after credits scene I missed where Rip says “syke! chics don’t get the brand”