TexMex

Smax

On 11/2/2018 at 9:45 AM, DoobieWah said:

Had lunch at Lupe Tortillas on I-10 at Echo a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty damned good. I had only ever been to the original near 10 and 6 and even that had been a  decade or so ago. I  ordered the plato tipico with tamal, cheez enchi, taco, r & b.

Everything was good, but the frijoles refritos were outstanding.

other people will suggest going there...usually from out of town.  I will get the chicken soft tacos almost every time. It is the best value on the menu, IMHO.

I love pico when it's time for pico, but trotting it out there as salsa is bullshit.

• 2 weeks later...

If I am going off the laws of basic economics here I cannot see exactly how El Tiempo can possibly be overpriced.  Every time I go to the one on Richmond there is a wait unless it is way off peak hours, and it's been that way since they opened 20 years ago.  Given basic laws of supply and demand one simply cannot conclude they're overpriced.  They may be charging more than any one individual wants to spend for their food, but the line at the door indicates that is an outlier.  Seems the market will certainly support their pricing.  Okay. Schools out.  Let's go get a margarita. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Irma's Original today for a work lunch.  I didn't pick nor pay.  I had "Larry's" special which was a cheese, chicken, and beef enchilada with beef fajita meat on top.  It came with rice, but no beans.  WTF?  Anyway, I have to say it was really good.  There was a great ancho chili enchilada sauce that made the dish.  I would eat it again for sure.  That said, I still don't think it's a place I would choose if it was up to me.  THe guac was really good too.  Also had queso.  It had great flavor, but was way too runny.  

On 11/27/2018 at 1:07 PM, pepper brooks said:

If I am going off the laws of basic economics here I cannot see exactly how El Tiempo can possibly be overpriced.  Every time I go to the one on Richmond there is a wait unless it is way off peak hours, and it's been that way since they opened 20 years ago.  Given basic laws of supply and demand one simply cannot conclude they're overpriced.  They may be charging more than any one individual wants to spend for their food, but the line at the door indicates that is an outlier.  Seems the market will certainly support their pricing.  Okay. Schools out.  Let's go get a margarita. 

I'd say its pricey when you consider the hole in the wall Tex Mex places we have that churn out great food, but when you dont want to slum it El Tiempo can be hard to beat. I've never had a bad meal there

Natalita’s at Jones and 290 isn’t bad. I like their salsa. I get their chalupa compuestas and charro beans. I don’t think I’ve ever had their enchiladas, but it’s always packed at lunch.

I used to go there when I lived in the area in 2000. Then I moved away and came back in 2015. We tried it a few months ago and while it wasn’t bad, it was just ok. I am hoping for something better, but it’s not looking good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

sad to report I went to Spanish Village for some Enchiladas a la Taylor about a week ago on a cold and rainy day.  Food was total dogshit.  Pretty sure they gave me a plate of food that was left over from the previous night or day, and just reheated it as my lunch.  it was most certainly not fresh.  Salsa wasn't hot and spicy like normal.  beans were reheated left overs from the day(s) before.  the whole thing just sucked.  so sad it was so shitty.  I was literally the only customer the entire time I was there.  

On the positive side I finally made it to Candente and thought it was really damn good.  everything seemed fresh and homemade.  I really enjoyed my food there.  

Edited by pepper brooks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I hadn’t been to Hugo’s in a long time, went last week for happy hour and it’s still fucking amazing. The lobster tacos are my favorite. 

I haven’t been to Xochi or Caracol, but Hugo’s is probably my favorite restaurant in town. That’s one of my go to’s when we have friends or family in town and want to take them out. Doesn’t hurt that you can get drinks at anvil before moseying over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I brought up Gerardo’s (on Patton) in the Unpopular Food Opinion thread, figured I would mention it here (disregarding Tex mex vs traditional or maybe borderland Mex). 

The barbacoa is absolutely delicious. Doesn’t maybe which salsa you use. Just fantastic. The carnitas are also really, really good. Two barbacoa on the left, carnitas on the right. Get a big red and be prepared to order in Spanish. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 7

Have eaten twice at a taco stand that is usually posted up in the parking lot between Pep Boys and Home Depot on Durham and 610.  Its called Phat Tacos HTX and they serve up birria tacos.  Comes with onions, cilantro, lime, salsa verde and seasoned oil to dip it in (the same the tortillas are dipped in before they are thrown on the grill).

https://www.facebook.com/phattacos.htx

I thought they were pretty fucking amazing. $11 for 4 and a drink.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 6:05 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Not an equivalent per se, but go to Teotihuacan.

This.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Went to Alma Latina last week, that place is just damn solid Tex Mex 

It's good, but overpriced. Paying the Heights gringo premium.

Salsas at 2025 Durham was once pretty good. They had a 3 crispy beef taco plate for $5.99. Beef fajitas for less than 10 bucks and it was BYOB. 

They changed the menu over and over again, and kept eliminating my personal favorites while increasing prices. I stopped going some years ago. 

It's a shame. Unless I go to a taco truck, I won't be able to find a Mexican place in Houston for less than $15 for 2 people. 

On 12/18/2018 at 4:03 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I used to go there when I lived in the area in 2000. Then I moved away and came back in 2015. We tried it a few months ago and while it wasn’t bad, it was just ok. I am hoping for something better, but it’s not looking good.

Went for the swimming pool and the good schools. 

I like the Los Cucos on Jones Rd and 290. It's one of their better locations. 

On 2/23/2021 at 12:43 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Sorry, not really Tex mex but this place is the shit. I’be got a soft spot for places you can tell are family run, and they seem to be doing a really good job here. La Lupita

https://lalupitatacorestaurant.com/

i always see this place driving to 290 from pinemont but never tried it - will have to correct that next time i'm thinking of somewhere to go.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:24 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I miss living so close to Teotihuacan. I have yet to find anything close to Jersey Village worth a shit. Anyone have suggestions besides “move back into the city”?

i like Alicia's. however i am a green sauce addict and their shit is delicious.