TexMex

Smax

55 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Alicia’s is pretty solid. Used to my parent’s go-to for several years. And while not far in Houston terms, I wish there was something right by JV. Or I should just move. Fucking hate Houston right now.

juarez on gessner. spring branch has plenty of spots and ton of good viet places too 

• Like 1

Alicia’s is pretty solid. Used to my parent’s go-to for several years. And while not far in Houston terms, I wish there was something right by JV. Or I should just move. Fucking hate Houston right now.

Natalita’s right at 290 and Jones road is pretty solid. It’s better than Los Cucos, imo.

When I lived in spring branch we’d pick up from fajita Pete’s every so often if we wanted good fajitas for a pretty cheap price. It sounds like you live near that areas, memorial-ish? Moved over to oak forest area but I still love Goode Co Cantina, although that’s definitely gringo fare. Chavez on Gessner was my go-to place for inexpensive Mexican when we lived over there though. 

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pistolero's was kind of disappointing. Very small fajita portion, even for $11.95. Outstanding tortilla soup and $4 margaritas ain't bad though. 

Yep, sub par but pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

My review of Alicia's : 

- Solid chicken breast and onions (eating carefully right now) 

- The lunch beef fajitas were terrific. I'd put them up there the original Lupe's on 6. 

- Great tortillas. Again I'm eating carefully, but I domed those tortillas. 

- Solid chips and salsa. You have to request green sauce, not ideal. Really good red sauce. 

- OK house margaritas. Pretty good size, but didn't taste all that good. 

- I'd skip the beans and rice. 

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

37 year fan of Armando's here.  Queso Flameado appetizer, rare+ Armando's cut filet, sopapillas for dessert.  House margarita for starters and a nice bottle of red with dinner. Guaranteed panty dropper for the wife of 35+ years.

The Best GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Gladeite said:

37 year fan of Armando's here.  Queso Flameado appetizer, rare+ Armando's cut filet, sopapillas for dessert.  House margarita for starters and a nice bottle of red with dinner. Guaranteed panty dropper for the wife of 35+ years.

ive heard it's a big party on Thursday nights ?

• 3 months later...
Taqo on Yale - taco Tuesday special, 3 tacos for $10 (you get canned drink). It was damn good. Tacos were delicious and stuffed. Great margaritas too. Lot of parking. I’ll go back 

A40EA745-519A-447F-8216-1F7B9FAB9AA1.thumb.jpeg.386b61a75fd110fd3fcef2d612faa9b6.jpeg

Hmmm relevant to my interest. Curious about the carnitas, bistec, and brisket barbacoa.

Fuck you 3 putt. I am trying to lose weight.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:52 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Taqo on Yale - taco Tuesday special, 3 tacos for $10 (you get canned drink). It was damn good. Tacos were delicious and stuffed. Great margaritas too. Lot of parking. I’ll go back 

A40EA745-519A-447F-8216-1F7B9FAB9AA1.jpeg

Looks like they the dropped chicken fajita taco from the menu. Darn, really nice flavor with the onions/peppers and green sauce. 

I still think the OG, the beef fajita taco is their best dish. Have them hold the aioli. On a related note, their street corn is splattered with mayo, so you might want to hold the mayo as well on that dish. 

Great restaurant in a great spot. The lady that owns it had a really good/expensive Mexican restaurant on North Main. It went under, but the food was good. I'm happy she landed on her feet. 

5 hours ago, mycox said:

An expensive Mexican restaurant on N. Main sounds like a bad idea. There are too many cheap places with quality food to eat in that area. Cantina Barba is solid.

It was called Skinny Rita's. They had some healthier menu options. Agreed, it was doomed to fail. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/skinny-ritas-grille-houston

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Looks like they the dropped chicken fajita taco from the menu. Darn, really nice flavor with the onions/peppers and green sauce. 

I still think the OG, the beef fajita taco is their best dish. Have them hold the aioli. On a related note, their street corn is splattered with mayo, so you might want to hold the mayo as well on that dish. 

Great restaurant in a great spot. The lady that owns it had a really good/expensive Mexican restaurant on North Main. It went under, but the food was good. I'm happy she landed on her feet. 

well her taco place was damn good. I don’t like margaritas but what they served was great

82F09C16-A3D5-4AEC-B48D-0F8E6966C41B.thumb.jpeg.efb963e3b829788ca07a372cfc0db6c1.jpeg

I dont like Taqo. I dislike their tortillas, and trying to be a “healthy” taco joint doesnt resonate with me. There are a shit ton of solid tex mex/taco places in the heights that are cheaper also. Taqo has the most expensive tacos in the greater heights area iirc

but to each their own. That being said, I love Barba, TJs, and Pnche. Taco stand also better in quality but I think its a little pricier than Pnche and barba

37 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont like Taqo. I dislike their tortillas, and trying to be a “healthy” taco joint doesnt resonate with me. There are a shit ton of solid tex mex/taco places in the heights that are cheaper also. Taqo has the most expensive tacos in the greater heights area iirc

but to each their own. That being said, I love Barba, TJs, and Pnche. Taco stand also better in quality but I think its a little pricier than Pnche and barba

So, you like cheap tacos...

CDBD2E3C-E884-44C5-BBD4-DA3FDB3CFCDF.thumb.jpeg.b9df4ec6e0ab56063f33cf078576b161.jpeg

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

taqo is a good date spot ans that 32 ounce margarita was magic 

SPanish Village was said to be closing, and based on the shit they served me the last time i was there i couldn't argue with it.  Apparently an ivestor came in, bought it and will keep it going.  Anyone been?  Re-launched 8/1.  I haven't had the courage to try it yet.  Back in the day the enchiladas a la taylor was about as good as it could get.