TexMex

Smax

• 2 weeks later...
Hadn’t been to Nuevo Mexico on Anderson since the pandemic started and damn if it’s still not one of the most reliably solid options in town. One of the few in town with homemade flour tortillas, in house fried chips and taco shells.

That place is a secret gem. And during the worst of the pandemic, they had a family takeout meal for like $20 - 10 cheese enchiladas, rice and beans and queso, all good.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Hadn’t been to Nuevo Mexico on Anderson since the pandemic started and damn if it’s still not one of the most reliably solid options in town. One of the few in town with homemade flour tortillas, in house fried chips and taco shells.

Whereabouts in Houston is that?

🤔

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

I grew up eating Tex-Mex at La Fiesta on North Loop at Burnet Road.  I'm not sure of the family connections, but the Jardin Corona guys seem to be carrying the mantle in central Texas.  Stores in Liberty Hill and downtown Marble Falls, too.

And (full disclosure, Matt's was a client), I love to go there, but my food expectations are lower there.  Great drinks, though!

11 hours ago, Hate said:

Isn’t it bizarre? It’s right in the middle of Texas and has no good Tex-Mex. Dallas has better Tex-Mex than Austin.

Matt's El Rancho is solid, but would be a middling option in Houston. It's a beautiful, large restaurant with a great patio. There's some value in that. 

What's the closest option to Juan in a Million in Houston? I loved eating breakfast there when I was in school. 

Matt's El Rancho is solid, but would be a middling option in Houston. It's a beautiful, large restaurant with a great patio. There's some value in that. 
What's the closest option to Juan in a Million in Houston? I loved eating breakfast there when I was in school. 

Hmmm maybe Laredo Taqueria on Washington?

On 8/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Looks like they the dropped chicken fajita taco from the menu. Darn, really nice flavor with the onions/peppers and green sauce. 

I still think the OG, the beef fajita taco is their best dish. Have them hold the aioli. On a related note, their street corn is splattered with mayo, so you might want to hold the mayo as well on that dish. 

Great restaurant in a great spot. The lady that owns it had a really good/expensive Mexican restaurant on North Main. It went under, but the food was good. I'm happy she landed on her feet. 

On 8/17/2021 at 8:52 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Taqo on Yale - taco Tuesday special, 3 tacos for $10 (you get canned drink). It was damn good. Tacos were delicious and stuffed. Great margaritas too. Lot of parking. I’ll go back 

A40EA745-519A-447F-8216-1F7B9FAB9AA1.jpeg

On 8/17/2021 at 9:02 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmmm relevant to my interest. Curious about the carnitas, bistec, and brisket barbacoa.

Fuck you 3 putt. I am trying to lose weight.

Aaaaaaand it looks like Taqo is now closed permanently. RIP. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Chiloso's on 20th

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dirt cheap Mexican in Memorial (unlikely) or Spring Branch? Tia Maria’s is fine, but I’m looking for something new. 

ive been eating at Juarez on gessner for 20+ years. damn good cheese enchiladas. the pho shop behind them, is also damn good

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:31 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Dirt cheap Mexican in Memorial (unlikely) or Spring Branch? Tia Maria’s is fine, but I’m looking for something new. 

When I lived in spring branch we would go to Chavez Mexican Cafe for our cheap Tex Mex fix. It’s basically right next to Juarez on Gessner. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 1:50 PM, Mack Tripper said:

I think all the El Tiempos have that deal. 

The Gessner location is a little skimpy on meat portions. No where close to 1 pound, but it was an enjoyable meal at the most reasonable prices you’ll ever get at El T. I would suggest going during Happy Hour on Wednesday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife has gotten very spoiled on El T and Goode Company Cantina. She hates La Fiesta. I think it’s fine and quite reasonable for a Tex Mex fix. 

Tex Mex restaurants fall into two categories in my opinion: 

1) Beer joints. Serve God awful margaritas and cheap food. La Fiesta, Chulas are good examples. 
2) Margarita establishments. Serve excellent margaritas and pricey food. El T, Goode Co., and Little Pappasito’s. 

I kind of think Los Tios is the best of both worlds. Pretty reasonable drink specials at happy hour and lunch, good lunch specials, and their dinner entree prices, sans fajitas, are pretty good.