TexMex

Smax

Soto’s for the northwest folks…been shut down because of a fire for quite awhile, hopefully open soon.

I had heard great things about it. Went to high school down the road. My wife and I tried it years back, never been back. I don’t recall it being bad, but just kind of whatever. I guess if they reopen I should give them another shot.

You want a good marg with fresh juice and really good beef fajtas, you have to pay more and go to a place like El Tiempo.

You order either at Teo and they suck.

You go to Teo, drink a beer and order cheese enchiladas.  Which are really good.  Hole in the wall, cheaper places are not going to have good beef fajitas or good, fresh juice margs.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You want a good marg with fresh juice and really good beef fajtas, you have to pay more and go to a place like El Tiempo.

You go to Teo, drink a beer and order cheese enchiladas.  Which are really good.  Hole in the wall, cheaper places are not going to have good beef fajitas or good, fresh juice margs.

F***ing this. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Alright thread, give your Juarez recs. I’m planning to have lunch there tomorrow.

The most important question, how are the margaritas? Should I order a beer instead? 

Get yourself a Fred's sandwich at Fred's Bar off the downtown bridge (C. Ignacio Mejía 369, Ciudad Juarez) ...Or any of the El Gato Taco carts on the street. Stop by the Kentucky Club and get a drink on Juarez Ave. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I should have specified. Juarez @ 2545 Gessner in Houston. 

cheese enchiladas are elite, sometimes I just get the 3 cheese enchilada plate

combo plate with fajita steak is my usual. margaritas, only had the frozen with a dos equis flipped in it

• 1 month later...
Took two Austinites for late night eats @ Teotihuacan. Both - this place is better than anything we can get in Austin. 

my fajita tacos were excellent. [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]

Hahaha well, obviously. I mean, Tex Mex in Austin, outside of Enchiladas y Más (I haven’t eaten there in 10 years), is a fucking joke.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha well, obviously. I mean, Tex Mex in Austin, outside of Enchiladas y Más (I haven’t eaten there in 10 years), is a fucking joke.

i told them this place isn't even in my top 10, but it's open until midnight

The thing about teo for me is that I’ve had some very good meals there, but the last meal I had there was really shitty. Tacos Al carbon and everything tasted like it’d been cooked two days before and left out too long… stale and bland. A bad tex mex experience in Houston pretty much guarantees I’ll never go back with all the options we have by here. 

The thing about teo for me is that I’ve had some very good meals there, but the last meal I had there was really shitty. Tacos Al carbon and everything tasted like it’d been cooked two days before and left out too long… stale and bland. A bad tex mex experience in Houston pretty much guarantees I’ll never go back with all the options we have by here. 

That’s a bummer. That is the last meal I had there (last month) and it was delicious.

It was so out of character that I’m not going to drop them out of the rotation, but it kinda burst the bubble on them for me. They’ve been one of my favorite relatively cheap places that still serve a decent (read: strong) marg so it was just very disappointing 

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Took two Austinites for late night eats @ Teotihuacan. Both - this place is better than anything we can get in Austin. 

my fajita tacos were excellent. @Patricio Swayze

Matt’s is decent. Juan In A Million is awesome, but it’s a breakfast joint. Some respectable food truck options. Austin also has Lupe Tortilla’s now. Not a Tex Mex desert, but not many options. 

A lot of artisan, interior, Mexican food bullshit. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Matt’s is decent. Juan In A Million is awesome, but it’s a breakfast joint. Some respectable food truck options. Austin also has Lupe Tortilla’s now. Not a Tex Mex desert, but not many options. 

You just reminded me that I have found a similar--or better--replacement for all my favorite Austin restaurants (of all types) except one....Juan in a Million.   

I have yet to find something like that in Houston that hits the same for me and my tastes.  

On another note, I don't live in burbs but the last two times I've tried Gringos, I've been pleasantly surprised.  Maybe having no expectations helps?

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

You just reminded me that I have found a similar--or better--replacement for all my favorite Austin restaurants (of all types) except one....Juan in a Million.   

I have yet to find something like that in Houston that hits the same for me and my tastes.  

On another note, I don't live in burbs but the last two times I've tried Gringos, I've been pleasantly surprised.  Maybe having no expectations helps?

Not a Gringo’s fan. It’s remarkably similar to Chuy’s. 

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Gringos isn’t bad food at all 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Hasn’t Austin had a Lupe for more than a decade?

I have never been to a Gringo’s. Just struck me as a strip mall chain type place. But I did go to Jimmy Changa’s (I think it’s the same owner) because folks from my office wanted to go. Was a long time ago, can’t really recall if it was any good.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:00 AM, tx 3 putt said:

my fajita tacos were excellent. @Patricio Swayze

Teo is so far superior to any Austin tex mex that the comparison is borderline insulting. For as hyped as it is, the tex mex in Austin does kind of suck. I remember thinking that even when I first moved down from DFW to attend UT.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Fonda San Miguel slaps and so did Alcomar during its brief run. We tried another place - Suerte, I think - that was also pretty good. Honestly the true Mexican options are probably better than the tex mex. Different price point and product though, for sure.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Fonda San Miguel slaps and so did Alcomar during its brief run. We tried another place - Suerte, I think - that was also pretty good. Honestly the true Mexican options are probably better than the tex mex. Different price point and product though, for sure.

This is absolutely true.  Try La Cocina De Consuelo as well.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Hasn’t Austin had a Lupe for more than a decade?

I have never been to a Gringo’s. Just struck me as a strip mall chain type place. But I did go to Jimmy Changa’s (I think it’s the same owner) because folks from my office wanted to go. Was a long time ago, can’t really recall if it was any good.

Could be.  Haven’t been back in a while since we suck at football these days.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, tx ind said:

If you’re in NW Houston this place is awesome.  It’s tiny and in a generic strip center but damn it’s good.

https://ta-bueno.com

So I was over at my folk’s house today. Wanted to try Ta Bueno, but it was closed. My younger brother had heard good things about the Taco King trailer at the chevron on the corner of Grant and Spring Cypress. 
damn, excellent tacos. Will definitely go back. However, they are very small. If you are really hungry, definitely get 6 tacos. 

I got al pastor and the campechanos. The orange salsa was spicy and delicious. Gave us some nopalitos (grilled with tajin type mix), onions and cilantro. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65ddc22c2a26414e0385773dbd90589f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

So I was over at my folk’s house today. Wanted to try Ta Bueno, but it was closed. My younger brother had heard good things about the Taco King trailer at the chevron on the corner of Grant and Spring Cypress. 
damn, excellent tacos. Will definitely go back. However, they are very small. If you are really hungry, definitely get 6 tacos. 

I got al pastor and the campechanos. The orange salsa was spicy and delicious. Gave us some nopalitos (grilled with tajin type mix), onions and cilantro. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65ddc22c2a26414e0385773dbd90589f.jpeg

There’s a blue food truck on the corner of Harwin and Fondren that serves terrific, but small tacos. The name escapes me right now, but you’ll know it when you see it. $1 per taco. The green sauce really has some kick. They’re always busy so they must be doing something right. 

Much better than Tierra Caliente (the truck by West Alabama Icehouse). 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 5/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Anybody ever try Cantina Laredo on Wilcrest? 

Los Tios’ margaritas are on point and $5 during happy hour, but my go to entree has been a little off lately. 

I used to work right in that area and went to Cantina Laredo for lunch a few times. I don’t remember it knocking my socks off, but if I lived near it, it’d be good enough to make the rotation. It also helps that I remember their prices being super reasonable. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Fading Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina. We went last night. Really bad service. Hostess was a huge asshole. Waiter wasn't much better. We ordered : cheese enchiladas, crispy beef tacos, 4 margaritas, $100 after tip. 

Steve Buscemi Fuck All That GIF - Steve Buscemi Fuck All That - Discover &  Share GIFs

I have never once sat at a table there. Always at the bar.   

What was it that the staff did or didn’t do?

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

I have never once sat at a table there. Always at the bar.   

What was it that the staff did or didn’t do?

Hostess was a, please forgive my language here, a bitch about seating us without a reservation. To the point where she argued with me when I told her I didn’t like our table. She then made this big show about moving us to another table. The ole let me talk to my manager bullshit. After a few minutes of back and fourth she moved us a couple tables away.

Waiter took forever to come greet us, and didn’t ask us if we wanted another round until we had almost finished our food. 

This was at 530 on a Friday. Not exactly peak hours. I’ll probably go back in better weather and sit on the patio. Until then, the Taqueria is probably the only Goode Co location I’ll visit. 

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hostess was a, please forgive my language here, a bitch about seating us without a reservation. To the point where she argued with me when I told her I didn’t like our table. She then made this big show about moving us to another table. The ole let me talk to my manager bullshit. After a few minutes of back and fourth she moved us a couple tables away.

Waiter took forever to come greet us, and didn’t ask us if we wanted another round until we had almost finished our food. 

This was at 530 on a Friday. Not exactly peak hours. I’ll probably go back in better weather and sit on the patio. Until then, the Taqueria is probably the only Goode Co location I’ll visit. 

That is not a great dining experience.  Sorry to hear it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Teo has several menu items that I would say are better than the best fajitas I've ever had, anyway. They offer fajitas because it's expected by us gringos. Their margs are fine - but they do pretty much always make my head hurt the next day, even if it's only one. Probably sugar in the mix they use or something. I typically stick to beer there.

Edit: lol did not realize this was a necro-reply. 

Edited by gmr548

El T has the best beef. Not surprising as the family owns Laurenzo’s Prime Rib. Give my Little Pappasito’s for the best chicken and green sauce. 

If you’re using a marg mix with sugar you should be ashamed of yourself. Half gallons of lime juice are widely available at liquor and grocery stores. Lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur, salt. It’s pretty simple. 

On 7/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, gmr548 said:

Their margs are fine - but they do pretty much always make my head hurt the next day, even if it's only one. Probably sugar in the mix

This is why every time I think I want a margarita, I opt for this instead...

gold-tequila-mexican-gold-tequila-2245309.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

it's been awhile, but hit alma latina before a concert tonight and damn it was good. fajitas and tortillas were just damn excellent. 

*my buddy needed to charge his cell, he had a cable no plug. waiter went out to his car and grabbed a plug for him. just great service 

it's been awhile, but hit alma latina before a concert tonight and damn it was good. fajitas and tortillas were just damn excellent. 

*my buddy needed to charge his cell, he had a cable no plug. waiter went out to his car and grabbed a plug for him. just great service 
Here based on your reccomendation, my go to for Texmex when I come to town is Goode Company cantina. I ordered the don julio rita and the Guadalajara as its comparable to GC tres hombres. Everything was great but I still prefer GC. My enchiladas here weren't as melty gooey as what I typically get from GC and I really like how they (gc) put avocado slices in the hard tacos. The rice and beans are a little better here at Alma but sides you know.

Solid rec for anyone in the heights, thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, TexasBeta said:

Get yourself a Fred's sandwich at Fred's Bar off the downtown bridge (C. Ignacio Mejía 369, Ciudad Juarez) ...Or any of the El Gato Taco carts on the street. Stop by the Kentucky Club and get a drink on Juarez Ave. 

Got dang, I drank beers in the Kentucky Club in college back in the 80’s. Also El Sub. 

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Like 1