2019 QB Roschon Johnson

Machinator

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I heard a few times last week, "you don't want Johnson out there picking up blitzes against LSU". Well, yeah, I guess we kind of do. 

It's going to be an interesting decision. And a stacked RB room next year. Ingram, Whittington, Bijan, probably Jordan. 

I think he will go back to QB next year and beat out Thompson for backup (who will transfer out).  He will be our starter in 2021 and 22 while Milroe learns the ropes. 

6 hours ago, Richter said:

Haven’t seen him throw enough yet, but I could see him evolving into Sams replacement in 21. Has the it factor, physicality, and durable build.  Plus he committed like super early and never wavered... some people are just born Texan.

All this. Telling everyone last night he just seems to run angry. I'm not sure who a decent comp would be because he's got a unique running style. He only gets low when necessary but when he accelerates, it always looks like he's pissed off chasing the dude who stole my grandmother's purse or something. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think he will go back to QB next year and beat out Thompson for backup (who will transfer out).  He will be our starter in 2021 and 22 while Milroe learns the ropes. 

Next season:  Thompson Jr, Roschon Soph,  Card & Jackson Fr.   That’s gonna be a hell of a battle after Ehlinger’s senior season & national championship.  

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

RoJo has a long way to go before beating Casey, his path to playing time is much easier at RB. His upside isn't nearly as high though. 

Kid is a winner. He might not ever start at qb here but he seems to have a team first mentality and I love that

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

All this. Telling everyone last night he just seems to run angry. I'm not sure who a decent comp would be because he's got a unique running style. He only gets low when necessary but when he accelerates, it always looks like he's pissed off chasing the dude who stole my grandmother's purse or something. 

Jamal Charles

12 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

When he hits the hole, he comes with bad intentions and seems to always get positive yards. He kinda reminds me of Ced.

Edited by Xminus6

6 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Jamal Charles

My memory could be off but Jamal seemed more of a "run like his hair was on fire" once he found his lane type of RB. Could be recency bias but he looks to be a lot more "twitchy" than Jamal, too. 

4 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

When he hits the hole, he comes with bad intentions and seems to always get positive yards. He kinda reminds me of Ced.

True. Their body types in addition to other attributes make that comp a little hazy to me, though. 

The more I think about it, and this might be wayyy off to some (as well as unpopular), he's kind of a mix of Daniel Young (freshman year running with high pads but popped everyone in his way) and Manziel if he had played running back. 

My one concern is that he doesn't have the lower body strength to play the position long term, making him more susceptible to knee/ foot injuries. He's built, don't get me wrong, but he's really compact with the legs of a QB/ reciever. Yancy can help in this area some but genetics may be a little limited in that regard. 

9 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

looks to be a lot more "twitchy" than Jamal

he's kind of a mix of Daniel Young (freshman year running with high pads but popped everyone in his way) and Manziel

he doesn't have the lower body strength to play the position long term, making him more susceptible to knee/ foot injuries

he's really compact with the legs of a QB/ reciever (sic)

This may be the most all-over-the-place player comparison post I've ever read. 😄

On 9/7/2019 at 11:54 PM, CDAK said:

Although I loved him as a runner tonight, I hope he gets a fair shot at QB if he wants to be a QB

Came here to post something along these lines. I love this kids selfless attitude, but I hope he doesn’t end up getting lost in a healthy rb room because he decided to take one for the team and do something he hasn’t done since 5th grade. If his eventual position is ultimately rb, then it is what it is. I don’t know what his goals are, but I’m so proud of him for stepping up and taking on this challenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

My memory could be off but Jamal seemed more of a "run like his hair was on fire" once he found his lane type of RB. Could be recency bias but he looks to be a lot more "twitchy" than Jamal, too. 

You just got the Spider2YBanana’d in the tailpipe by Bamboozled, my man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2019 at 7:35 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

True. Their body types in addition to other attributes make that comp a little hazy to me, though. 

The more I think about it, and this might be wayyy off to some (as well as unpopular), he's kind of a mix of Daniel Young (freshman year running with high pads but popped everyone in his way) and Manziel if he had played running back. 

My one concern is that he doesn't have the lower body strength to play the position long term, making him more susceptible to knee/ foot injuries. He's built, don't get me wrong, but he's really compact with the legs of a QB/ reciever. Yancy can help in this area some but genetics may be a little limited in that regard. 

Throw Brian Orakpo and Bernie Kozar into a blender, and you're right there.   

I've seen Mariota and Josh Allen throw stiff arms that Roschon reminds me of; maybe Roethlisberger, too, but obviously he doesn't run as well as any of the three aforementioned.

Of course, the three dudes in the NFL have all proven they have an arm of some description, which RoJo has not yet done, but Jesus H. Motherfucker, he's just a freshman in college, he has time. We don't know yet where his ceiling is, we just know he'll reach for it with attitude, because he's a bad motherfucker.

• Like 2

What a Baller!!

IT:  Of course helping Ingram carry the load, and maybe even provide Ingram extra motivation, is Roschon Johnson. In the summer I received a message regarding Roschon and it essentially said, "not sure if Roschon is a quarterback, but he's something." I knew he was struggling with mechanics and just figured it would get ironed out with more time but the team needed him at running back. We're all amazed by his willingness to initiate contact. We also like that initial burst. What makes him special, though, is his mental maturity and preparation. He has fully immersed himself in the position and is always asking his reads and assignments. The old cliche of "give me 11 guys like him" certainly applies to his mental approach.

• Like 2