Funniest movie of the last five years. Go.

Red Five

After a few minutes of thought, I’m going with Popstar. Also, I can’t think of anything I would slot #2. And that’s not because Popstar was that funny. I just can’t think of anything else.

Alternate topic: what happened to funny movies?

It’s a rough period for comedies so the funniest is probably Deadpool.

For pure comedies, funniest is probably Bad Moms or Blockers.

The best movie that falls under the comedy umbrella, but not necessarily the straight-up funniest, is The Big Sick.

• Like 1

A few comedies of the last 5 years:

This is the End

Neighbors

The Nice Guys

Spy is pretty funny.

Jump Street sequel (not as good as first)

For me... .Deadpool.

Thor:  Ragnarok is pretty funny and Guardians of the Galaxy is damn funny.

And The Grand Budapest Hotel while not uproarious is really good if WA is your thing.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A few comedies of the last 5 years:

The Nice Guys

For me... .Deadpool.

And The Grand Budapest Hotel while not uproarious is really good if WA is your thing.

All of these are just good clean fun to watch....................

I don't remember the last full movie where i laughed hard. Several have been fun, but not where i laughed so hard i couldn't breath. The last movie i did that at was Django Unchained during the scene about the hoods. Nearly fell out of my chair at the theater. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Wow. Step Brothers is 10 years old.

And would be at the top of my list if we were talking about the last 10 years.  My son and I quote it almost daily (which my wife hates and can't believe I let him watch when he was 12).  He bought me this shirt, which I am going to be wearing on my sail out to Catalina tomorrow.

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 1

This is the End is fucking greatness. Of those mentioned, I thought the first Neighbors was pretty good as was 22 Jump Street. Deadpool and The Big Sick are better movies but I wouldn't classify those as straight comedies. Oh, I liked Nice Guys too.

Edited by C-Man
Nice Guys addition

52 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The Internship, The World's End

both of these are strong.  the job interview scene in “the internship” is some funny, funny shit.  and anything from the cornetto trilogy is gold.  

44 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I really liked The Nice Guys, partially because any 70’s theme immediately causes me to start laughing. But it was pretty funny too.

another good one.  gosling surprised me with how good he is at comedy. 

56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The Internship? Bad Moms? Jesus guys.

Not exactly Ghostbusters, Trading Places, Vacation, Airplane, Caddyshack, Fletch.... (1980-1985 off the top of my head).

we also don't have some comedic genius types that were running around in the 80's.  bill murray, chevy chase, eddie murphy, john candy, dan aykroyd, steve martin, plus plenty of other guys like michael keaton and tom hanks that had great range and were hilarious in comedies.

if you asked people today to name the funniest actors, you'd probably hear some say will ferrell and even sandler - both of whom are 10-15 years past their primes. 

i don't even know who the funniest comedic actors are today.  bateman and sudeikis are probably a good start, but they're no spring chickens.  ryan reynolds can be funny when he wants.  i still maintain that ryan gosling could be the funniest working movie actor if he decided to go that way.  like the year wilt led the league in assists just to show he could.  the big short may not have been straight comedy, but was one of the more entertaining movies of the past 5 years.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we also don't have some comedic genius types that were running around in the 80's.  bill murray, chevy chase, eddie murphy, john candy, dan aykroyd, steve martin, plus plenty of other guys like michael keaton and tom hanks that had great range and were hilarious in comedies.

if you asked people today to name the funniest actors, you'd probably hear some say will ferrell and even sandler - both of whom are 10-15 years past their primes. 

i don't even know who the funniest comedic actors are today.  bateman and sudeikis are probably a good start, but they're no spring chickens.  ryan reynolds can be funny when he wants.  i still maintain that ryan gosling could be the funniest working movie actor if he decided to go that way.  like the year wilt led the league in assists just to show he could.  the big short may not have been straight comedy, but was one of the more entertaining movies of the past 5 years.

Good point. Add to the fact that Hollywood would prefer a reboot/remake/sequel to original comedy &, the cards are stacked against anything decent coming out.

The last half of aughts were a fantastic decade for comedy.  The teens have been more of an action decade..... It goes in waves and also comedies tend to have more cult classic type arcs.  Animal House or Caddyshack weren't considered hilarious all time comedies in their initial runs.

Ask the question in 2002 or 2003 and you'd have the same struggle.  Some real good movies but there was a transition in comedy going on from Jim Carrey/Farrelly Brothers stuff to some new voices.  Comedians don't really age well.... they have their time and then folks get tired of their schtick.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The last half of aughts were a fantastic decade for comedy.  The teens have been more of an action decade..... It goes in waves and also comedies tend to have more cult classic type arcs.  Animal House or Caddyshack weren't considered hilarious all time comedies in their initial runs.

Ask the question in 2002 or 2003 and you'd have the same struggle.  Some real good movies but there was a transition in comedy going on from Jim Carrey/Farrelly Brothers stuff to some new voices.  Comedians don't really age well.... they have their time and then folks get tired of their schtick.  

eh, animal house was a smash hit.  caddyshack was a bit of a letdown as a follow up.  at least according to the nat'l lampoon doc.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

eh, animal house was a smash hit.  caddyshack was a bit of a letdown as a follow up.  at least according to the nat'l lampoon doc.

My bad then.... Trying to do from memory.  The Big Lebowski and Dazed were also two films which didn't catch on at the box office.

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This thread is depressing.  Comedies took a turn for the worse with franchises like The Hangover and Bad Moms.

The world needs another Harold Ramis.

Maybe comedies took a turn for the worse when the people who buy tickets (youth) were no longer laughing at what used to be funny.  

I don't know if that's the explanation.  I've recently shown my HS kids most of the greats out of the SNL crew (Stripes, Caddyshack, Animal House, etc.) and they think they're hilarious.  Plus, my son likes tits.  I'm thinking about going with Porky's next.