Funniest movie of the last five years. Go.

Red Five

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The last half of aughts were a fantastic decade for comedy.  The teens have been more of an action decade..... It goes in waves and also comedies tend to have more cult classic type arcs.  Animal House or Caddyshack weren't considered hilarious all time comedies in their initial runs.

Ask the question in 2002 or 2003 and you'd have the same struggle.  Some real good movies but there was a transition in comedy going on from Jim Carrey/Farrelly Brothers stuff to some new voices.  Comedians don't really age well.... they have their time and then folks get tired of their schtick.  

Is this where we blame superhero movies? Seems like that's all that comes out these days in the studio's quest for the $500M movie with endless sequel possibilities.

• Like 2

Just now, C-Man said:

Is this where we blame superhero movies? Seems like that's all that comes out these days in the studio's quest for the $500M movie with endless sequel possibilities.

It's interesting because it feels like the middle class of films has definitely been squeezed a bit and this is always where I felt comedies fell on the budgetary scale.  I don't think it's necessarily superhero movies, although I guess you can trace some of this back to the "Summer Blockbuster" which began in the late 70's and were popularized in the 80's.  There's more content out there than ever and with the streaming services making original content, it could be that the traditional comedy, while not becoming extinct, could find itself on different distribution platforms.  That or you have to really search for the indies, which are abundant.  Or again, maybe it's simply a transitional period which we've seen before....

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

we also don't have some comedic genius types that were running around in the 80's.  bill murray, chevy chase, eddie murphy, john candy, dan aykroyd, steve martin, plus plenty of other guys like michael keaton and tom hanks that had great range and were hilarious in comedies.

if you asked people today to name the funniest actors, you'd probably hear some say will ferrell and even sandler - both of whom are 10-15 years past their primes. 

i don't even know who the funniest comedic actors are today.  bateman and sudeikis are probably a good start, but they're no spring chickens.  ryan reynolds can be funny when he wants.  i still maintain that ryan gosling could be the funniest working movie actor if he decided to go that way.  like the year wilt led the league in assists just to show he could.  the big short may not have been straight comedy, but was one of the more entertaining movies of the past 5 years.

Well what about...

Hmmm.

I'm sure I've seen some funny people. Like... 

uh...

Hmm.

ponders

Maybe...

Like those guys that were in that movie? The 40-year-old Virgin? Some of those guys, right? I mean, that was a while back, but it was also kinda the start of their careers?

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Well what about...

Hmmm.

I'm sure I've seen some funny people. Like... 

uh...

Hmm.

ponders

Maybe...

Like those guys that were in that movie? The 40-year-old Virgin? Some of those guys, right? I mean, that was a while back, but it was also kinda the start of their careers?

the timing of this post is funny, because paul rudd has now been kidnapped by the comic book superhero movies mentioned about 3 posts earlier.  rogen is definitely churning out comedies, though not all land.  steve carell's career has taken a more serious turn.  jonah hill goes back and forth.  being nominated for oscars will probably keep him from doing too much straight comedy.

Yep, snowflakes that freak out and get offended at literally anything even remotely offensive to a single person on the planet has ruined comedies.  Tropic Thunder & Hangover were probably the last two movies to cross the line in a way that may never get crossed again...even though Deadpool teetered on the edge from what I remember (I need to watch it again, truthfully).

Up until the 90s we had movies like that released every few years.  Goddamn shame it's had to stop.

That said, a lot of the movies listed in the last 5 years have had some damn funny parts but they aren't wall-to-wall like what we got in generations past.

Sausage Party crossed a few lines and got beat up in the press pretty bad. Django crossed lines, but is too old for this thread. Nonetheless, Tarantino would probably get a pass if he remade Amos and Andy. The problem isn't snowflakes, actors, or directors, as much as gutless studios and the need to make tons of money overseas.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well you had a white actor in blackface yelling about retards. It’s hilarious but I’m not sure that gets made now.

That was not the hilarious part, Tom Cruise playing the sleazy agent was incredible...

les-grossman-360x240.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Apep said:

Sausage Party crossed a few lines and got beat up in the press pretty bad. Django crossed lines, but is too old for this thread. Nonetheless, Tarantino would probably get a pass if he remade Amos and Andy. The problem isn't snowflakes, actors, or directors, as much as gutless studios and the need to make tons of money overseas.

not sure gutless is the right word.  risk-averse is probably more accurate.  making money keeps studio execs at their jobs.  they have no reason to jeopardize this.  

every now and then, a movie genre, typically comedy or horror, shows everyone that a movie can cost a little and make a lot.  get out did this on a 22 day shoot with a first time director and small-ish actors.  there will be more horror.  then in the next year or two, a movie like hangover or bridesmaids or whatever will come out, and comedy will be back again.

to me the bigger issue is the total absence of the action comedy.  beverly hills cop perfected this and plenty after it did well (even fletch is sorta like this), all up until what, the first bad boys?  as far as cop movies go, the other guys was pretty funny.  if comedic actors like eddie murphy get cast in action, that's great.  that's what deadpool is essentially.  when the rock is in 2/3 action movies, well, he ain't funny.

It gets made now.  We had the same discussions prior to it being made about how Blazing Saddles doesn't get made now, and then stuff like Django comes out and now we are pondering if Tropic Thunder gets made.  Hell they show the movie on TV all the time.  Your argument would make more sense if it got locked away in the vault.  Pretty much everything Tarantino puts out crosses PC lines although not pure comedies. 

It gets made now.  We had the same discussions prior to it being made about how Blazing Saddles doesn't get made now, and then stuff like Django comes out and now we are pondering if Tropic Thunder gets made.  Hell they show the movie on TV all the time.  Your argument would make more sense if it got locked away in the vault.  Pretty much everything Tarantino puts out crosses PC lines although not pure comedies. 

Well, they still show all of the classic comedies on TV too but I guarantee you there’s no way Airplane!, Naked Gun, or Blazing Saddles and other similar comedies get made today.

We’ve taken a serious turn in the last 4-5 years especially. Don’t get me wrong though, I wish we’d rebound back to where we were. Humor shouldn’t be taken seriously. Bill Burr does some good comedy bits on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure gutless is the right word.  risk-averse is probably more accurate.  making money keeps studio execs at their jobs.  they have no reason to jeopardize this.  

every now and then, a movie genre, typically comedy or horror, shows everyone that a movie can cost a little and make a lot.  get out did this on a 22 day shoot with a first time director and small-ish actors.  there will be more horror.  then in the next year or two, a movie like hangover or bridesmaids or whatever will come out, and comedy will be back again.

to me the bigger issue is the total absence of the action comedy.  beverly hills cop perfected this and plenty after it did well (even fletch is sorta like this), all up until what, the first bad boys?  as far as cop movies go, the other guys was pretty funny.  if comedic actors like eddie murphy get cast in action, that's great.  that's what deadpool is essentially.  when the rock is in 2/3 action movies, well, he ain't funny.

Action comedies stopped getting made for the same reason glam metal stopped getting made -- the genre was done to death so much that you couldn't even parody it. They tried. And people couldn't tell if it was joking or not. (Hint: It was.) Satire and reality had merged, like when people started buying up actual Spinal Tap albums, or when Bon Jovi became a headlining act. But the genre was pretty much perfected with (I agree with you here) Beverly Hills Cop, and all the variations on that theme had been played out. Something new has to be introduced.

On the other hand, I think one could argue that some of these superhero movies, like Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok, themselves represent the rebirth of the action comedy. There's the new thing to be added -- the superhero. Prior to this, the superhero action comedy wasn't going to succeed on the big screen (again, they tried), because back around that time, superhero movies -- to divorce themselves from the Silver Age "child's play" snobbery -- needed to look serious by casting an award-winning actor (like Superman did) or by being really dark (like Batman), or else people wouldn't bother with them, commercially or critically. (See also: Superman III for a failure, by featuring a comedian in the starring role.) But now, we've had this massive run of extremely successful and critically-respected action movies, so now they can throw more and more comedic aspects into them until the film full on crosses the line into Beverly Hills Cop action-comedy territory.

And that's why we have Paul Rudd doing Ant Man.

Edited by Rimbo

I just looked through my IMDB ratings and I haven't seen a true comedy in the last 5 years except for Office Christmas Party, and I'm gonna  go out on a limb and say that wasn't the funniest one made.

ETA... was wrong, I saw This is the End. Still...

Guess I need to see more recent comedies.

Edited by drewcifer

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know if that's the explanation.  I've recently shown my HS kids most of the greats out of the SNL crew (Stripes, Caddyshack, Animal House, etc.) and they think they're hilarious.  Plus, my son likes tits.  I'm thinking about going with Porky's next.

Yeah my two boys (14 & 12) love old SNL and a lot of the older comedies. They also love older rock, 90s & 00s alternative/grunge, and hiphop, & hate most new music.

They aren’t cop movies anymore but 3 of the 8 highest grossing movies last year were action comedies (Jumanji, Guardians 2, Ragnarok).

This Is The End took some chances and surprised me with how well it turned out. Bad Words is one of the best comedies from the last 15 years, much less 5. Thor Ragnarok and Deadpool highlight the evolution of the action comedy and the death of the straight comedy. Deadpool 2, as well (despite Brolin's charisma black hole).

17 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Well, they still show all of the classic comedies on TV too but I guarantee you there’s no way Airplane!, Naked Gun, or Blazing Saddles and other similar comedies get made today.

We’ve taken a serious turn in the last 4-5 years especially. Don’t get me wrong though, I wish we’d rebound back to where we were. Humor shouldn’t be taken seriously. Bill Burr does some good comedy bits on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Django is basically a retelling of Blazing Saddles with a lot more action and gore.  Cool black hero outsmarting all the dimwitted white racists, with plenty of N bombs and comedy throughout.  I guess people don't equate the two because one is pure comedy and the other is has action/gore so it's not a comedy?  You think when Django gets to pick out his outfit after being freed and he chooses the purple (whatever you call it) outfit that isn't racial humor and doesn't push any PC boundaries, but "stuartist, I speak jive" does?

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Django is basically a retelling of Blazing Saddles with a lot more action and gore.  Cool black hero outsmarting all the dimwitted white racists, with plenty of N bombs and comedy throughout.  I guess people don't equate the two because one is pure comedy and the other is has action/gore so it's not a comedy?  You think when Django gets to pick out his outfit after being freed and he chooses the purple (whatever you call it) outfit that isn't racial humor and doesn't push any PC boundaries, but "stuartist, I speak jive" does?

stuartist?

Definitely a lean period but I will throw one out there: What We Do In The Shadows. Not constant laugh out loud funny but its got its own sly humor that's well done. Knew nothing about it and ended up watching it a couple of times on cable.

• Like 3