Funniest movie of the last five years. Go.

Red Five

A Million Ways to Die in the West would be a top-5 if Marcia Lucas had edited it and if Gary Kurtz had produced it. 

Come at me bro. 

Seriously disappointed, even in the unrated edition, because it was one of the few “pure” comedies with a solid budget, and movies like that (poor box office) make it hard on future parodies.  There was more than enough material (over two hours), a semi-decent cast (I will just watch it again for Charlize, and Liam Neeson was wasted).  But in typical McFarlane fashion, there were a couple of jokes that went too far, the pacing for both the theatrical and unrated editions was shit, and his decision to use contemporary language took you out of the movie too easily. 

And no, the jokes about 9 year-old girls getting married and having sex were actually not the jokes that went too far. 

The joke about the game where you shoot runaway slaves would have been funny if Jamie Foxx/Django showed up and murdered the carnie during the movie, and not into the end credits. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It seems to me that full length comedy movies are difficult to make because you have to consistently be funny and have a story arc. That is why movies are rarely hilarious that make you laugh uncontrollably or belly bust, but I think that the shorter form of sketch comedies are perfect for comedy. I used to watch a ton of Key & Peele youtube videos and randomly came upon one or two the other day and I was howling. You just can't make a full length movie that makes me roar and howl with laughter, I can't even remember the last time I saw one that did that. Step Brothers?

I wonder if part of the problem with a lack of good movies, is the comedic types like Key & Peele blow their wad on cable TV or YouTube (Funny or Die, etc.), or romcoms are considered safer. 

A lot of us liked at least one of the Hangover movies, and Step-Brothers, and Dewey Cox and the like. It’s surprising nobody is pumping out smaller (budget) movies on that level. Instead we get straight up shitty parodies that require little thought for writing. Hungover Games is up on Amazon Prime and it’s a good example:

After celebrating Doug's upcoming wedding in a in Laughlin, NV, hungover guys Bradley, Ed and Zach wake up in a futuristic dystopia, having lost their pal, Doug. With the help of Effing and Justmitch, the trio's loyal advisers, the gang must now prepare to battle their way through the districts of The Hungover Games including The Real Housewives of District 8 and Teddy from The Puppet District.

40 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I wonder too how much of it is in my stage of life. It strikes me that comedies, much more so than dramatic or otherwise thoughtful movies, are best experienced in a shared experience, amongst other people.

This was a few years ago, but we were watching some 80s movie special at an Alamo Drafthouse.  They were showing lots of clips of 80s stuff.

Then they showed a bit of this, the actual 1988 Crystal Light National Championship

And more than a few of us started talking about the Key and Peele skit.

And the next clip they showed was, you guessed it.

It's probably the hardest I have ever laughed in a movie theater, even though it wasn't a movie.  The audience was on the floor, even those who had seen it.

Something to be said about group comedy.

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

MacGruber 2?  Don’t toy with my emotions. 

McGruber is funnier than anything listed on this thread  

Thread is sad.

McGruber is funnier than any movie in the past 5 years hands down. 

Honorable Mention for this thread:

ChiPs

Very underrated 

Edited by Neonmoon

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

MacGruber 2?  Don’t toy with my emotions. 

It's been in development for a while, IMDB has it listed with Jorma Taccone directing again. Swear I saw an article where they said they were about to get together and knock out the script a few months ago. Maybe with Last Man on Earth canceled, Forte can devote some time to it.

• Like 1

violating the 5 year rule but films like old school and wedding crashers were funny from start to finish and carried the theme well.  I think it is just hard to make/write good comedies for a full 2 hours.  Comedy is also very subjective.  I loathe slapstick type comedy where the jokes are so obvious and so predictable.  Finding clever and original comedy is hard.

Also, I went to a larry the cable guy stand up show and thought it was really funny.  I wouldnt go to one of his movies for free.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:02 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It seems to me that full length comedy movies are difficult to make because you have to consistently be funny and have a story arc. That is why movies are rarely hilarious that make you laugh uncontrollably or belly bust, but I think that the shorter form of sketch comedies are perfect for comedy. I used to watch a ton of Key & Peele youtube videos and randomly came upon one or two the other day and I was howling. You just can't make a full length movie that makes me roar and howl with laughter, I can't even remember the last time I saw one that did that. Step Brothers?

I think the key is to make a funny movie that's actually about something else. Like how Trading Places is an educational film about investing that also happens to be very funny. Or how Shaun of the Dead follows all of the beats of the standard zombie apocalypse film while spoofing the genre, but also gets back to the roots of the zombie horror -- a satire of consumer culture -- while also being very funny. That's why the action-comedy works so well as a formula; the action movie provides the framework, the comedy provides the façade. There has to be a story there, be it bildungsroman (e.g. American Pie) or hero's journey (Men in Black) or what have ya.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:33 PM, workswithseed said:

I died laughing at Thor ragnorak. I can't think of anything else that has made me laugh that laugh. 

That movie came out of no where to be excellent. We are going to jump on that spaceship over there, wanna come? 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Everyone should see The Nice Guys. Shane Black is the king of the buddy cop movie.

The Nice Guys was hilarious.  One of my favorites of the last few years.  And a few years before that, The Other Guys. 

"The _______ Guys" formula is proving to be a huge success for naming comedies.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

I think the key is to make a funny movie that's actually about something else. Like how Trading Places is an educational film about investing that also happens to be very funny. Or how Shaun of the Dead follows all of the beats of the standard zombie apocalypse film while spoofing the genre, but also gets back to the roots of the zombie horror -- a satire of consumer culture -- while also being very funny. That's why the action-comedy works so well as a formula; the action movie provides the framework, the comedy provides the façade. There has to be a story there, be it bildungsroman (e.g. American Pie) or hero's journey (Men in Black) or what have ya.

Yes, and it does not really matter what your story is - just make it interesting and able to stand on it's own without the comedy - then layer in great comedy and you have gold. 

Shaun of the Dead was one of those movies that critics said were funny that I thought was utterly humorless. So maybe I'm just not into conventionally comedic movies

Shaun of the Dead had a fan RT score of 93%, one point higher than critics. So its both critically-acclaimed and widely beloved by fans.

It’s a genre-busting, British satire, so it is hardly a conventional comedy. Perhaps you meant you don’t like comedies.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Shaun of the Dead was one of those movies that critics said were funny that I thought was utterly humorless. So maybe I'm just not into conventionally comedic movies

I wouldn't consider Shaun of the Dead conventional. Satirical, yes; conventional, no. 

A few comedies of the last 5 years:

This is the End
Neighbors
The Nice Guys
Spy is pretty funny.
Jump Street sequel (not as good as first)
For me... .Deadpool.
Thor:  Ragnarok is pretty funny and Guardians of the Galaxy is damn funny.
And The Grand Budapest Hotel while not uproarious is really good if WA is your thing.

Deadpool 2 was pretty awesome. We go to the theater fairly often and it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a packed house roll with laughter from start to finish.

16 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Right, apologies, I mean to say, perhaps I just don't think things are funny that are recognized as funny which is why I am generally not impressed with comedy movies.

if you can’t appreciate good comedy you’re either a moron or a sociopath.  

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

What I find fascinating is that much of that movie’s dialogue was improvised, at least according to IMDB. The line above was thrown in at the behest of some make a wish kid at the last second.

We have lost a comedy legend with that kid.

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

What I find fascinating is that much of that movie’s dialogue was improvised, at least according to IMDB. The line above was thrown in at the behest of some make a wish kid at the last second.

Most of it seems too well structured to be improvised.  It's not like you have a lot scenes where actors are just sitting around riffing off of each other.  They are generally moving and therefore the dialogue needs to fit with the timing of the movement.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of it got rewritten by the director, maybe on set working with the actors.  Looking at the listed writers, none of them have a resume that screams snappy dialogue - mostly Marvel TV and animation stuff, although admittedly, I haven't watch much of that.  But the director is Taikia Waititi, who has limited writing credits for Flight of the Conchords and co-wrote What We Do in the Shadows.  I think some of the dialogue sounds like FotC.   

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, McCroskey said:

Well, they still show all of the classic comedies on TV too but I guarantee you there’s no way Airplane!, Naked Gun, or Blazing Saddles and other similar comedies get made today.

We’ve taken a serious turn in the last 4-5 years especially. Don’t get me wrong though, I wish we’d rebound back to where we were. Humor shouldn’t be taken seriously. Bill Burr does some good comedy bits on the topic.

Enough with this "kids today" bullshit.

Movie 43 falls within the 5 year time period, was magnitudes more offensive than Airplane, Naked Gun, and Blazing Saddles, and included many of the top names in Hollywood.  If it had made a ton of money, Hollywood would have cranked 80 more just like it.  The reason they aren't making more Naked Guns is because there were already too many made and people can still access them in a half of dozen ways.  If you really like them, you own them. You don't need to spend $20 on an inferior version of it in the movie theater.

I'll add Movie 43 to one of my favorite comedies in the last five years.

Fake Supergirl: Hi, I'm Supergirl.

Fake Robin: My name...

Fake Batman: [under the table speaking on an earpiece feeding to Robin's ear] I'm Robin.

Fake Robin: [to Supergirl] ... Hi, I'm Robin.

Fake Batman: [to Robin] Um, so where are you from?

Fake Robin: So where are you from?

Fake Supergirl: Krypton.

Fake Robin: Oh, Krypton. That's, that's, uh...

Fake Batman: Oh shit.

Fake Robin: Oh shit.

Fake Batman: Dude, I can see her snatch.

Fake Robin: Dude I can s... uh...

Fake Batman: Oh my god, I can't believe the size of this thing. It's like a giant fucking cornfield, it's enormous down here. It's crazy, look at that, I feel like at any moment Shoeless Joe Jackson can walk out of that and I can play catch with him.

Fake Robin: Krypton, like the... I hear it's really nice. I have never been...

Fake Supergirl: You didn't hear that the sun supernova'd and destroyed our entire race?

Fake Batman: I'd wash dishes with it...

Fake Robin: Did it? I did not...

Fake Batman: It's a huge, bushy catastrophe down here. I feel like Sean Penn should do a benefit for this thing.

[Supergirl's expression changes]

Fake Robin: What? Oh, no. You can hear him, can't you...

Fake Supergirl: Yeah, I can hear him! I can also see Batman underneath the table.

Fake Robin: 'Cause of the X-ray vision, of course.

Fake Supergirl: No, I can just see him. It's a café table. I mean, it's really obvious.

Fake Batman: [pops head from under the table, to Supergirl] Hi.

Fake Supergirl: Hi.

[storms off]

Fake Robin: I'm so sorry about your family dying.

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This was a few years ago, but we were watching some 80s movie special at an Alamo Drafthouse.  They were showing lots of clips of 80s stuff.

Then they showed a bit of this, the actual 1988 Crystal Light National Championship

And more than a few of us started talking about the Key and Peele skit.

And the next clip they showed was, you guessed it.

It's probably the hardest I have ever laughed in a movie theater, even though it wasn't a movie.  The audience was on the floor, even those who had seen it.

Something to be said about group comedy.

Just when you think you've seen them all, you discover a new one. This one had me rolling last night:

On 6/26/2018 at 12:57 PM, Tuco said:

Enough with this "kids today" bullshit.

Movie 43 falls within the 5 year time period, was magnitudes more offensive than Airplane, Naked Gun, and Blazing Saddles, and included many of the top names in Hollywood.  If it had made a ton of money, Hollywood would have cranked 80 more just like it.  The reason they aren't making more Naked Guns is because there were already too many made and people can still access them in a half of dozen ways.  If you really like them, you own them. You don't need to spend $20 on an inferior version of it in the movie theater.

I'll add Movie 43 to one of my favorite comedies in the last five years.

movie 43 is brilliant.  sometimes